Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

On 25/08/2020 at 17:55, Pinza-C55 said:

In 1977 I visited Bowes station which was more or less intact though uninhabitable. Most of the wood was rotten from 15 years exposure to the ferocious Stainmore elements but inside the waiting room a poster survived from the last day.

Bowes Station 28.2.77 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

I would pass by on the A66 twice a year from the late 70s until around maybe ten years ago - would always give it a glance, it was fascinating to observe the time-lapse 'demolition by natural forces'. 

The most recent image I can find is from 2015 when there was not a great deal still standing - wonder what it looks like now......

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Where's the 'amazing' button when you need it!

Quite remarkable that it was never taken up, just gradually (or deliberately) buried under the soil & debris and forgotten about.

Until over 200 yrs later it comes to light again in such complete condition.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

Not so much evocative remains, more evocative echoes: two of the new roads put in at the former Rochester goods yard are named Cory's Road and Thalia Way, after Cory's Wharf, and 'Thalia', the 0-4-0 diesel shunter that used to shuffle wagons around for Cory's. The maps also show a Telemon Way, after the shunter that was based at Strood, but that road is still under construction, so I couldn't get near it for a photo.

Photos both from pocketable cameras - 2020 phone and 1979 126 Instamatic!

1626411975_Rochestergoodsyard2020a.jpg.e8ff6674ad71d24880eb0919f9674610.jpg

162609896_Rochestergoodsyard2020b.jpg.e8e3f7dbeaf148861be8dadb950eb8f2.jpg

The words set into the pavement "coal meter/heaver/whipper" are all Victorian workmen associated with transporting coal on the Thames - see https://www.victorianlondon.org/mayhew/mayhew20.htm for more details. The coal-meters weigh the coals on board ship, while

The coalheavers, properly so called, are now no longer known in the trade. The class of coalheavers, according to the vulgar acceptation of the word, is divided into coalwhippers, or those who whip up or lift the coals rapidly from the hold - and the coal- backers, or those who carry them on their backs to the wharf, either from the hold of the ship moored alongside the wharf, or from the lighter into which the coals have been whipped from the collier moored in the middle of the river or "Pool." Formerly the coals were delivered from the holds of the ships by the labourers shovelling them on to a series of stages, raised one above the other, till they ultimately reached the deck. One or two men were on each stage, and hove the coals up to the stage immediately above them. The labourers engaged in this process were termed coal heavers. 

And from 1979, 'Thalia' parked up by Cory's Wharf after shuffling mineral wagons around:

958184242_126_0041RochesterThalia1979a.jpg.2c4c21dd968867bdb2635417e2116347.jpg

1871725300_126_0042RochesterThalia1979b.jpg.51a680dfee4be34dbae9b5c8f289ddda.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

.... (and even they were just in connection with derailment tests).......

Nice pics Ben, thanks for posting.

I think the derailment tests you refer to were the testing of concrete sleepers at Ingrow, and how they stood up to derailments. Fastline have a film of this testing on one of their 'Behind the Scenes - On the Right Track' DVDs (FL0401). Very interesting viewing, as indeed all 4 of their DVDs are.

• Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, iands said:

Nice pics Ben, thanks for posting.

I think the derailment tests you refer to were the testing of concrete sleepers at Ingrow, and how they stood up to derailments. Fastline have a film of this testing on one of their 'Behind the Scenes - On the Right Track' DVDs (FL0401). Very interesting viewing, as indeed all 4 of their DVDs are.

Hello- thanks for that, the derailment tests with the concrete sleepers are indeed mentioned in the book on the line.  When I read about it, I thought it seemed an odd spot, given there's a 30ft+ drop down onto a public road off the side of the embankment, but then I'm no engineer :)

• Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 23:35, Osgood said:

I would pass by on the A66 twice a year from the late 70s until around maybe ten years ago - would always give it a glance, it was fascinating to observe the time-lapse 'demolition by natural forces'. 

The most recent image I can find is from 2015 when there was not a great deal still standing - wonder what it looks like now......

When I spoke to the farmer who owned it in 1996 he said he once caught a German guy trying to take the 1862 date stone from above the door and said he had put it indoors for safe keeping. He said he would like the remains of the signalbox preserved so I put him in touch with the fledgling Eden Valley Railway and they dismantled it and took it to Warcop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Hello- thanks for that, the derailment tests with the concrete sleepers are indeed mentioned in the book on the line.  When I read about it, I thought it seemed an odd spot, given there's a 30ft+ drop down onto a public road off the side of the embankment, but then I'm no engineer :)

Hi Ben, from watching the video again, the testing seems to have been conducted in a bit of a cutting at Ingrow - so it would seem a bit of thought went into some aspects of safety! First a G5 0-4-4 is deliberately derailed, then a heavily laden bogie bolster and finally a coach coupled to two 4-wheel vans - all propelled (out of shot) to a speed I would estimate between 20-30mph - although only a short film, it is still quite spectacular.

Edited by iands
Spelling correction.
  • Like 2

On 4.3.78 I visited remote High Field station on the Selby - Driffield line. It was in an advanced state of dereliction but retained its NER enamel nameboard which had been painted over in BR(NE) orange and white but most of the paint had peeled off.

50376892871_e23dd5a651_c.jpgHigh Field looking South 4.3 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

50377065667_8fb4becbab_c.jpgboard 4.3.78 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

50376892561_81e2b93e4e_c.jpgHigh Field Station 4.3.78 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

• Like 19

On 19/09/2020 at 16:54, keefer said:

Where's the 'amazing' button when you need it!

Quite remarkable that it was never taken up, just gradually (or deliberately) buried under the soil & debris and forgotten about.

Until over 200 yrs later it comes to light again in such complete condition.

Found during land reclamation work it was later covered with protective sheeting and re-buried as the best way of preserving it, apart from a few pieces taken for analysis and museum display. 

IIRC it was either 4ft or 4ft 2in gauge. 

Alan 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2020 at 13:31, 60091 said:

Found during land reclamation work it was later covered with protective sheeting and re-buried as the best way of preserving it, apart from a few pieces taken for analysis and museum display. 

IIRC it was either 4ft or 4ft 2in gauge. 

Alan 

That would make an interesting model, but nobody would sensibly model 16.5mm track though would they, and who would make such an oddball gauge?!!

Mike.

• Funny 3

42 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

This is an interesting video - in fact ALL martin Zero's vids are interesting.

Brit15

He is a very good presenter, he doesn't claim to know everything, he's enthusiastic and he's entertaining.

Have you watched the one about opening the plug in the Rochdale Canal, he's proper chuffed to see this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GWRPhil said:

Here’s a few pictures I took recently of Grenofen tunnel near tavistock

CD210398-CD1A-4D84-83A6-95B69A021908.jpeg

6ACEBAAA-23DE-4618-B5B1-7BFD3F7B5F30.jpeg

36DB0A25-0133-4E20-B0D3-8EAE4B7D5EC8.jpeg

E2508B4B-C52F-4A4B-90F4-79DC891ABA55.jpeg

95006F2B-10FF-4CD7-885B-9CCCC35BF6DA.jpeg

AB15BD24-AA07-4140-9067-ED38E62120E1.jpeg

Looks like it would need some work if it were ever to see trains again. That looks like some brick reinforcement in the tunnel roof.

• Like 1

In memory of Dame Barbara Windsor. I am reminded of the film Sparrows Can't Sing.

Cowley Gardens was located through the arch. The frame from the film shows Roy Kinnear struggling with a ladder. The other frame is how it is these days with the arches blocked in and carrying the DLR.

Bernard 

sp.jpg.e5b36bc431f46e2c9dd71125636602a9.jpg

sp1.jpg.d7dc4e797bab31d1420a0ca33e883eda.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The old and unusual two storey goods shed at Arundel. It's survival is mainly due to the builders merchants that has occupied the south end of the old goods yard for decades using it.

Unfortunately when I took this photo last week, I noticed that the builders merchants has closed down and the site was being cleared of materials and equipment which means the shed could be under threat.

It is listed but so was the identical one at Littlehampton and that mysteriously succumbed to a wrecking ball when nobody was watching a few years ago...20201207_112440.jpg.3c16614a73d6b1e2c7673055e3477fde.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

What occurs to me is that the routes selected for closure in 'Reshaping' were chosen not because of their poor goods or passenger patronage but more because of the financial element of upkeep of the route.

I thought that when watching Rob Bell's walk along the Cheltenham to Banbury railway on TV yesterday. I'm sure that if the route had been flattish with few tunnels or viaducts, it would still be with us today. Similarly, that might explain the differing costs said to have been claimed for essential repairs to the Ribblehead viaduct when those were proposed as a cause for closure.

Note that I am not suggesting a degree of collusion between BR's civil engineers and MoT but with limited funds in the repair budget at a time of new diesel classes coming into service, there may have been subtle pressures applied.

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 1