Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Peter Rumbelow (aka topaz r)

bbishop

This obituary was written by CAT Ford, Peter's closest modelling friend. I totally agree with what he has written. Bill

There are those people in life with whom you bond from the time you first meet them. In my case one of those persons was Peter Rumbelow, we were great friends from the first time we met. Not only did we have many things in common but our differences tended to be complimentary and this all made for an extremely good relationship. Peter was pin sharp, witty and intelligent; he had been a Lawyer and had worked for the Royal College of Law. He also had a caring side and used it to good effect with me whenever I was down or discouraged. We met regularly, our Tuesday afternoons were legendary, but they were not all beer and hot air, many skills were swapped and much good modelling done.

You may have known Peter as the editor of the DOGA journal and as the builder of Empingham his Rutland based layout. Empingham is very popular on the exhibition circuit from Stafford to the South coast and is booked for more this year. It was a mark of the man that we would return from a show and unload, after which we would troop into his kitchen for a buffet meal prepared by his wonderful wife Lindsey. I can picture our group in his bright warm kitchen worn out after a weekend exhibiting being gently brought round by Peter and leaving happy. Empingham has inspired many to emulate its shape or Landscape which I feel is the mark of a good layout.

Peter’s depth of knowledge on matters Midland and signalling was second to none. He helped and encouraged me when I was signalling Batcombe and was always ready to talk coaches. His knowledge was not wasted, he had started on his next two layouts, and had they come to fruition they would have been every bit as good as Empingham.

My last words to my friend came as we parted after getting back from the Stafford show, he was going on holiday to New Zealand virtually the next day: “I’ll see you when you get back”. Peter became ill whilst on holiday but fought back and had almost reached the stage, after many weeks, of being repatriated to continue his recovery. Complications set in before this could be arranged, causing a heart attack from which he could not be revived. A phone call left me stunned at the news that my friend was gone. Perhaps the words of Dylan Thomas put it best:

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Peter’s family have asked for Empingham to continue on the exhibition circuit. I need to complete some refurbishment, then it will be exhibited as a memorial to Peter’s skills.

A very sad loss for those of us in DOGA . Peter was editor of the DOGA Journal  from 2011, and did an excellent job - he will be very much missed.

I last saw him on the Saturday at St Albans this year where he was helping with the DOGA stand . I'd just bought myself a Bachman Ivatt diesel , as a hasty fix for a loco shortage in the steam period on Blacklade . I commented that small yellow panel wasn't strictly correct for a nominal 1958 date , but then the steam period wasn't terribly serious  "Mine will be very serious !" said Peter grinning - he had his eye on a black one, I presume for Empingham

It wasn't to be. A week or two later he went on holiday to New Zealand - and then we heard he'd been taken dangerously ill

Sympathy and condolences to his family in their bereavement         

Archived