Perhaps a step backward is needed 2 engines is costly!

mp55aec

Again i mention old Athearn blue box,,,but this time to an advantage,,,dummies,,,not ,,,you,,,the locos,,the only disadvantage was the number may have to be changed but this could be got around by using say a two different loco types.

Ive not seen all that many single engine highball trains in the USA a youtube search does bring them around perhaps a short pick up freight etc but if you really want some realism then 2 locos is the route to go but boy this can be expensive,,,Ive a 2 loco Broadway CSX C30-7 lash one paragon sound the other just DCC but would have worked out better if the second was a dummy with DCC lights,,,anyone else agree?

We need some dummies!

MP

It depends what you want to do with them. If they just run through your scene, or at least always remain coupled then one loco could probably pull any length of train you could fit on the average layout.

However I'm not certain that a dummy loco is that much cheaper to produce. It saves on a motor, but manufacturers aren't going to tool up for a non powered truck (considering most model US locos use a central motor and two powered trucks) and the motor is a fairly cheap component (much of the cost of a model is the hand assembly)

• RMweb Premium

On myt trip across the US in 2012 I can't remember seeing any trains with only one loco apart from passenger ones.  All the local freights seemed to be pairs of older locos such as SD40N's on the UP.

Jamie

I don't think it's worth it...

Consider...

When loco's cost £40, a £15 difference in price is quite a substantial saving 

When loco's cost £120, a £15 difference is not anywhere near as substantial, but the loss in functionality is.

(£40 cost/£15 saving based on looking at out of production Athearn list prices on their website)

However I'm not certain that a dummy loco is that much cheaper to produce. It saves on a motor, but manufacturers aren't going to tool up for a non powered truck (considering most model US locos use a central motor and two powered trucks) and the motor is a fairly cheap component (much of the cost of a model is the hand assembly)

Jason Shron from Rapido could comment better, but he mentioned in one of his newsletters or on the CanModelTrains list (i can't remember where), that the FP9 B Dummy locos they produced were basically cost equal with the powered non-DCC versions, to the point that it makes no business sense for them to produce dummy locomotives.  If he's around i'm sure he could provide better comment from a manufacturers perspective than i can.

Stephen

You will sometimes see mainline freight with a single loco on point, but that usually means that there is a second loco (DPU) either mid-train or on the end. Even the local around here uses a GP9+slug combination.

Most of the GO commuter passenger run in push-pull mode with a single MP40PH and 10 or 12 bi-level coaches and most of the corridor VIA passenger trains run with a single loco, but it is rare to see a freight with just one.

Adrian

I have about 6+ ATHEARN blue box loco's in my to-do pile waiting for detailing all are now dummy's having had the motor and gears stripped out ....yes I also have a box of motor's that I have no use for :(

If you are in the US, I'll take them. Otherwise send them to my Bro..

Andy

Andy

Archived