Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Scratch building a model shop

• 7 months later...

Well despite the weather seeming to conspire against us, infill of the old fishing lake is well underway. Approximately a third of the required infill is in. The NYMR is scheduled to bring spoil in from Grosmont next month which hopefully will get us somewhere near the quantity required such that we can start landscaping and stoning in preparation for surfacing.

On the van restoration front my workshop out of town is taking shape with the commissioning last week of a nice Felder combination woodworking machine. The first van (BR standard 20 ton brake van) is in shop and I'm currently stripping back to underframe and removing fittings for patterning. I've had to completely replace the oxygen/acetylene gas axe set as the one I inherited was a death trap. Its replacement dutifully does the hot knife thro' butter routine. A further six brakes/Sharks/boxes sit outside in the queue.

On the modelling front I'm well on now with 2 JLTRT 08's which will see much action on my proposed O gauge layout 'Pickering' (as preserved) - the first two baseboards of which will be the first candidates for the aforementioned Felder machine. I'm starting with the LNERCA's Atkins building and the C&W workshops as a standalone proposition prior to the station / railhead / town element and High Mill crossing to the north.

It helps when your better half is, well, a fairly handy type. All the bucket swinging (20 tonner) on site is her fantastic handywork. The crowd control barriers at right is where 37264 (I guess) will be hauling spoil to from Grosmont for tipping. The puppy was her Christmas present after her last GSD departed age 17 years (SWMBO major credits).

post-14090-0-99785900-1488128880_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A super shredder, a burning set, a new wood machine[i worked with Wadkins stuff in a previous life] and, and, and....a lady who can drive a 360 machine!!!

I couldn't sleep at night for the excitement!

Courage, Mon Brave.

Doug

[shelagh will ask when I show her, what is the pup called?]

Edited by Chubber

• 1 month later...

A super shredder, a burning set, a new wood machine[i worked with Wadkins stuff in a previous life] and, and, and....a lady who can drive a 360 machine!!!

I couldn't sleep at night for the excitement!

Courage, Mon Brave.

Doug

[shelagh will ask when I show her, what is the pup called?]

Sorry Doug,

Did the ol' thought I'd replied but in reality hadn't trick. Pup's called 'Tarka' - irony very deliberate.

• 10 months later...

All's progressing steadily on site now. Those who've visited the NYMR last season have had our new carpark to spread out in albeit only currently stoned up. I set seed in the newly topsoiled areas and the wildflower meadow is sown in the flood swale at the bottom end of the site - dogs love it. Now comes the invisible very expensive bit, namely drainage and fuel interceptors. Once the house is sold we can start building! (Again). The old flat on site is acting as our interim retail shop; this is also where internet orders are despatched from.

At my workshop the first (and most challenging) of the brakevan restorations is moving along nicely. Shotted, painted and timbered out ready for floor and superstructure, it'll hopefully be somewhere near by the time the warm weather arrives. Anyway, some pics.

post-14090-0-64142500-1519586130_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-30296800-1519586588_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-63208900-1519586618_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-73238800-1519586668_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-96900600-1519586745_thumb.jpg

post-14090-0-89123500-1519586775_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You will of course be welcome to stay in one of the converted railway wagons when we're up and running!

We've just installed the land drainage for the car park which took just over a week to accomplish. Next is a ground condition survey to determine whether the building can be rafted or if it needs to be piled. I suspect piling may be the order of the day due to the ground having been made up at different times. We're having to do all this in height of season too, so the parking requirements of railway visitors is taking more managing than usual.

post-14090-0-84131200-1531301928_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...