Ask Dave

DJM Dave

Hi dave after looking at your website you're be pleased to hear I have sucum to one of your delights in the form of Q6

I have to admit I am still going through all the web page's so you may have already answered this question. But do you have plans in the future for rolling stock or are you planning on concentrating on just locos

Hi mate,

Thanks for the question.

At the moment both myself and clients are generally going for locomotives as the return is far greater for the investment.

In my personal case I'll get established in my own right first before considering it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

I don't know if it would be at all possible, but is there a way for the CAD files to be shared so that those interested could not only look at the pictures of the models in CAD, but inspect the models in close range in a virtual environment (suitably locked off)? Or would this be too hard in today's society where another company might look at it and copy it?

Dave,

I don't know if it would be at all possible, but is there a way for the CAD files to be shared so that those interested could not only look at the pictures of the models in CAD, but inspect the models in close range in a virtual environment (suitably locked off)? Or would this be too hard in today's society where another company might look at it and copy it?

Hi mate,

It's very problematical to be honest.

I'm sure 'others' can gleen a fair bit from the files, hence my reticence.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

It's very problematical to be honest.

I'm sure 'others' can gleen a fair bit from the files, hence my reticence.

Cheers

Dave

I think this is quite understandable when companies are developing models of the same thing (or near enough the same thing) in parallel.  The same sometimes applies to information - if it is readily accessible it is one thing, if it takes work/time to find it then, regrettably, in my view it is quite another.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Can you shed any light on why, in the history of British N there has never been a rtr version of the 124 Trans-Pennine DMU?.

I can imagine the cab end might be difficult to model and a 6 car set may need as many as 4 decoders. That apart, the units ran across the Eastern and Midland regions for 20 years, traversing 2 trans-Pennine routes which would make it a suitable item for more modellers than - well another 6 car DMU released in the last few years.

Given that the units were based on the 64ft mk1 design, Farish may have the inside track for the model but this would be irrelevant if they never release one. 

Any thoughts?

Would be an interesting sound project too, 8 engines, 1840hp.

Peter

Hi Dave,

Can you shed any light on why, in the history of British N there has never been a rtr version of the 124 Trans-Pennine DMU?.

I can imagine the cab end might be difficult to model and a 6 car set may need as many as 4 decoders. That apart, the units ran across the Eastern and Midland regions for 20 years, traversing 2 trans-Pennine routes which would make it a suitable item for more modellers than - well another 6 car DMU released in the last few years.

Given that the units were based on the 64ft mk1 design, Farish may have the inside track for the model but this would be irrelevant if they never release one. 

Any thoughts?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Great question.

I only ever saw 2 of these, never photographed them either, and they slipped from my consciousness.

Don't forget, there's never been a true OO or N gauge version either.

Not sure we'll see one in the short term as costs are bound to be high, but, like the gorgeous Blue Pullmann, maybe one day!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

Great question.

I only ever saw 2 of these, never photographed them either, and they slipped from my consciousness.

Don't forget, there's never been a true OO or N gauge version either.

Not sure we'll see one in the short term as costs are bound to be high, but, like the gorgeous Blue Pullmann, maybe one day!

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Probably the day after I finish mine :-)

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Any thoughts?

Peter

There are a couple of basic problems with modelling Trans Pennine sets.  First of all the trains were formed with two slightly different 3 car sets which involved an original total of four different types of vehicle - so any manufacturer is faced with first choosing what he is going to make and secondly being able to price it to sell.

Add to that the fact that one of the vehicle types was fairly quickly modified so you then have to decide are you going to make the originals, or the early mod version ... and so on.  It has long been a train which has been asked for but I suspect that any manufacturer who has researched it with a view to producing a decent model has been quickly put off by the formation complexities and vehicle changes which affect both the practicality and the costs.  I'm not sure quite how Trix tackled it in terms of vehicle types but I'm fairly sure they didn't do all of them.

Hi Dave

Would it be feasible to offer at least one unpainted, unlined, unnumbered model of each product in your range ?

For me, a range of accurate tenders in their various iterations (pre war/postwar/BR etc) sold as separate items would be an appealing product line (painted/lined and unpainted).

cheers

Rodger

Would it be feasible to offer at least one unpainted, unlined, unnumbered model of each product in your range ?

Every time it has been tried in the past, they have proved to be very slow sellers, and the few that did buy 'expected' a price reduction out of proportion to the actual cost differential of production.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have you thought about taking to the guys building the George fifth class replica. Ok it's a way of from being steamed yet but would give you plenty of time to get work done on a model

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dave,

Will you be going to Warley ?

Will there be anything to see at Warley ?

Will you announce anything at Warley ?

Thanks.

And will anyone be able to see anything at Warley?  :no:  :offtopic:

• 4 weeks later...

In reading some of the other threads, I note that the occasional person is thinking of renumbering, or completely re-painting some of the new models (!)

With that in mind, will your paints be matched to any available in the UK, or will you be able to supply very small quantities of the appropriate paint ?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the question.

If it's something like BR blue or green etc then it will match known and accepted standard colours or rolling stock and locos by other manufacturers.

However, if it's a bespoke colour ( like a maroon on a J94 for example, this will be painted probably from the correct B.S. Colour or Pantone number. However this might not match anything currently out there.

For the sake of the rules governing paint shipping etc I can be including or selling paint to match I'm afraid as not only is it something I don't want to get into as a company, the hoops I'd have to jump through make it non feasible I'm afraid.

Sorry

Cheers

Dave