Ask Dave

DJM Dave

Do you do your maths at full retail or factor in a percentage for discounting for bulk orders by the big boys?

Hi PhilH,

I don't give bulk discounts to any trader. I prefer a reasonably level playing field in that department.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Greetings.

On the O2 thread you mention "what will be my 'Standard' coreless motor".  Is this in fact a range of otherwise identical motors in more than one size (which is the way I read it)?   A "standard coreless motor" that will fit in an N-gauge Austerity seems a little undersized for a O-gauge Type 2 diesel.....

All the very best

Les

Greetings.

On the O2 thread you mention "what will be my 'Standard' coreless motor".  Is this in fact a range of otherwise identical motors in more than one size (which is the way I read it)?   A "standard coreless motor" that will fit in an N-gauge Austerity seems a little undersized for a O-gauge Type 2 diesel.....

All the very best

Les

Hi Les,

Quite right, I wasn't referring to O gauge in that comments sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave 

Have you considered doing EMU s? There is a surprising lack of modern 25kv overhead EMU models. Bachmann in my view picked the wrong class when they did the class 350. If you did a class 313 it would allow you to also do class 314 and 315 Not to mention class 507 and 508 there is a lot of liverys possible there. 

Alternatively the class 317 would give potential for class 318 and 455, change the tooling and there is class 319 320 321 and 322. 

Or for something older and since I ask for it in every wish list a class 303.

Thanks.

Hi Darrel,

I'm not sure about EMU's to be honest.

And I won't have finances to do one in the next couple of years anyway.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you know who killed JFK... well you did say asking anything  :jester:  :jester:

Should you eventually do a tender engine in OO have you had any thoughts on how you do the tender to loco connection?

H15 would be nice hint, hint

Hi Toboldlygo,

JFK was killed by the secret service when they found out he was going to go live on UFO's and The double decker bus on the moon! :-)

Yes I have thought how to do the loco to tender connection on a OO gauge steam loco, but I'm not going to give too much away until as and when I do one ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Going back to the forthcoming 02 (again..sorry) is there any real prospect of it being upscaled to 7mm? I'd love a couple!

Cheers

Jon Fitness

Going back to the forthcoming 02 (again..sorry) is there any real prospect of it being upscaled to 7mm? I'd love a couple!

Cheers

Jon Fitness

Hi Jon,

That's something you need to talk to Kernow about as Chris owns the intellectual property of the OO development.

It would be nice though.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mickey,

I'm glad and very proud to say that those ideas were mine ( even if you didn't like them) and have lots of ideas that I'd like to progress if they don't get thought of elsewhere.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave 

Have you considered doing EMU s? There is a surprising lack of modern 25kv overhead EMU models. Bachmann in my view picked the wrong class when they did the class 350. If you did a class 313 it would allow you to also do class 314 and 315 Not to mention class 507 and 508 there is a lot of liverys possible there. 

Alternatively the class 317 would give potential for class 318 and 455, change the tooling and there is class 319 320 321 and 322. 

Or for something older and since I ask for it in every wish list a class 303.

Thanks.

Given that Bachmann have a Mk3 body shell in the form of the Class 150 I would stay well away from other Mk3 EMUs/DMUs - Bachmann will release them sooner or later, and they have the clout that a smaller manufacturer doesn't. 

If you released a Class 313 in NSE though you'd sell me at least 2 :)

Another question from me: would you consider doing other things besides locos/rolling stock? Like a true "00 scale" track (for want of better words), signals or buildings? 

Edited by sub39h

Given that Bachmann have a Mk3 body shell in the form of the Class 150 I would stay well away from other Mk3 EMUs/DMUs - Bachmann will release them sooner or later, and they have the clout that a smaller manufacturer doesn't. 

If you released a Class 313 in NSE though you'd sell me at least 2 :)

Another question from me: would you consider doing other things besides locos/rolling stock? Like a true "00 scale" track (for want of better words), signals or buildings?

Hi mate,

Nothing is truly off the agenda, it's just I'll be 437 1/2 years old when I fulfill everyone's wish list! That's not so good as I'd like to retire at 385 years old! ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Would you consider producing track machines or similar plant in the future? The Tamper you produced in your pre-Dapol days is much missed!

Simply put, yes! ( I love the easy questions ;-))

Cheers

Dave

Hi Sub39H,

Oh yes, I see myself branching into anything I can see a market for, whether that be diesel or electric or turn burning ;-)

I'd like to do wagons and am working on some really interesting deals regarding bringing some 'aquatic ones' to market.

However, wagon costs per tool are quite extreme in comparison to a nice simple 0-6-0 or similar.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Any timescale for a potential announcement regarding the 'aquatic ones'.  I could be very interested, particularly if it were a 'salmon'.

Dave,

Would you consider producing track machines or similar plant in the future? The Tamper you produced in your pre-Dapol days is much missed!

I didn't know that Dave ever produced a Tamper.  Was this a kit or ready to run and what brand was it marketed under?  I'd also welcome track machines or any other on track plant: even if that won't be in your next announcement of production.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Dave,

Any timescale for a potential announcement regarding the 'aquatic ones'.  I could be very interested, particularly if it were a 'salmon'.

I didn't know that Dave ever produced a Tamper.  Was this a kit or ready to run and what brand was it marketed under?  I'd also welcome track machines or any other on track plant: even if that won't be in your next announcement of production.

Regards

David

Hi David,

The next raft of announcements will be made a few days after Bachmanns July announcements to avoid duplication.

Nothing announced regarding timescales or even specifics yet, sorry.

Yes I commissioned Bernard Taylor to produce a tamper kit in N gauge for me many years ago, and I still hold desires to relaunch it in N and also in OO gauge as ready to run items, but if and when are a long way off, as I need to make, and more importantly sell my first models yet.

Cheers

Dave

Who's going to win the World Cup?

FIFA!

Would you ever take a risk and produce a good AC electric like the Class 90 or 92 (which IMHO would be the better sellers of the ACs) in either N or OO? Or maybe a Class 59 in OO (I can't think of a reason as to why it's not done still)

Cheers!

Hi Jeffery,

Not sure I'd take a risk to be honest. Although you could easily argue that starting on my own was a huge one. Lol

So I suppose the real answer is yes, but I need to clear existing announcements and the next lot first.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

Just roll out that austerity in '00'. I can ask you for a LNWR coal tank later.....

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Ok I will, and yes of course you can, but that's wish list thread territory ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave.

Here is my question...Why did you decide to leave Dapol and start out on your own?

Julia :)

Hi Julia,

Great question, and one that may not reach public knowledge for years, (or ever) unless I publish my memoirs. :-)

Not the answer your looking for, I'm sure, but it's the one I'm sticking too, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Have you, or would you, considered making track work - especially points, in either OO or EM ?

Stu

Hi Stu,

Nothings off the table, I'm glad to say, and I did buy a euro millions ticket last night ( I must check those numbers), so if I've won first price there will be a lot of happy people in the modelling world, I can tell you as I'll produce lots of items :-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Nothings off the table, I'm glad to say, and I did buy a euro millions ticket last night ( I must check those numbers), so if I've won first price there will be a lot of happy people in the modelling world, I can tell you as I'll produce lots of items :-)

Cheers

Dave

So that's basically 'No' then. :)

Given that Hornby/Airfix don't seem to want to venture in to the model railway market again, have you any thoughts along the lines of the old infrastructure kits ( rather than rolling stock) they used to make ?

Or components ( windows, doors, drain pipes, etc )?

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

Hi Stu,

The problem with producing drain pipes, brick embossed card, windows etc is the sheer cost of tooling for something that sells for comparatively 'buttons' and the need to sell more becomes paramount just to break even on the project.

If your a large company, well established , with a good coach flow, then these things are easier to just sit on, in the long term until you recoup your investment, but if your a small company it's such a risk, no matter how much you want to make those things.

Kits are great, but to give you an idea, a wagon kit would cost in the region of £24k for tooling, ( N gauge) and then you would sell for around £12-15 each.

A building would need more steel for the tool, but wouldn't be as complicated so probably around the same price for tooling but with a far less, when there are those glorious scenecraft buildings about, RRP, making breaking even a very long term prospect.

I'll not say never, but I need better cash flow and become more established first and foremost.

Cheers

Dave