Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

I'm not usually given to frothing and wish listing but.. :) I am curious to know whether others think that Kato would branch out into other models of RhB stock and if so what would an educated guess be? I am heartened by the fact that Bemo started down the Om avenue as they obviously felt there was a market there and that seems to be vindicated by the fact the range is growing. Now I am never going to model in Om but would in the blink of an eye if my numbers came up at the weekend, but Kato is a different proposition. Yes I know its not to scale and that track gauge is all wrong (unless you lash out for a conversion chassis or scratch build) but for most this can be forgiven as the spirit of the RhB is there.

So maybe a Cement wagon (as that is pretty iconic) or freight set or maybe a Ge4/4II and a couple of A/AB coaches..

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

My feeling is that the Kato GEX will be a one-off as I'm sure that it's main target customers are the many Japanese tourists who visit Switzerland and take a ride on the GEX.

However, having said that, if enough of those tourists are also/or become model railroaders they may get interested in modelling the RhB/MGB/MOB etc. so maybe we could see Kato producing the Bernina Express or Golden Panoramic Express.

Keith

• Like 1

What's I'd love to see in Nm would be one of the standard design railcars as used on many smaller lines, suitable for a narrow-gauge feeder for a standard-gauge layout.  Although it's probably another case of "dream on"...

• RMweb Gold

You can always email kato and ask ;) There's also no reason that 3D printing couldn't be used to expand the range, Bob has done it in Om so if you talk to the right people and supply the info there's an option too. I'd do it but my funds are tied up in too many other projects so by the time I get round to it we'll be able to print in colour and do the letterting in the print too, (I can dream ;) )

What's I'd love to see in Nm would be one of the standard design railcars as used on many smaller lines, suitable for a narrow-gauge feeder for a standard-gauge layout.  Although it's probably another case of "dream on"...

Tim, that would be nice but with true Nm the cost are prohibitive, to me :) but I would love to have something like that.

Kato do make standard gauge Swiss items in n gauge - both for Lemke and Hobbytrain.

David

Yes but as I am only interested in the RhB stuff that was my initial line of questioning came from.

You can always email kato and ask ;) There's also no reason that 3D printing couldn't be used to expand the range, Bob has done it in Om so if you talk to the right people and supply the info there's an option too. I'd do it but my funds are tied up in too many other projects so by the time I get round to it we'll be able to print in colour and do the letterting in the print too, (I can dream ;) )

Paul, it was more idle thinking than serious frothing.. but actually you are right the more people that contact them *may* make them think its a profitable route but I suspect that the comments about Japanese tourist market are prevalent, however you would have to be slightly interested in trains to buy the set(s)? 3D is definitely something I am considering for other modelling and might be able to adapt it to this. but the learning curve is pretty steep. Anyway email off to Mr Kato..

Edited by backofanenvelope

• 2 months later...

Dont  suppose  you  have  had  a  reply   from  Kato  yet?

I wouldnt  Mind  a  Crocodile  or  2  in  this   scale  (Just  as  a  reminder  of  my Garden  Railwaying  Days)

But  obviously  not  much  chance!!

Just have  to  Make  do  with  the  GE 4/4 IIIs

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

Well you can pretend with a Del Prado Crocodile ,(loads on eBay usually), to sit on a siding, it's a slightly smaller scale but close enough. I've got one but not tempted to try motorising it ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 5 months later...

I am curious to know whether others think that Kato would branch out into other models of RhB stock and if so what would an educated guess be?

(...)

Any thoughts?

Kato announced in Nurnberg, last week, the ABe 8/12 "Allegra" (to be developed in April),

http://www.bahnonline.ch/wp/82896/kato-n-1-150-neuheiten-2015.htm

In my opinion, a big news for us interested in N Scale narrow gauge...

I guess Kato's choice (one of 2014 best sellers) has opened other eyes too.

Bemo in Nurnberg announced the GEX and Bernina - in normal gauge...  :O

• RMweb Gold

The only problem with the Kato models is they haven't decided to accommodate Z in the loco designs which makes regauging a big job. Shame really as if they'd made the block narrower it would have been appealing to the existing Nm modellers too. Looking at the mech 1.25 mm off each side wouldn't seem to compromise the mech. Ho hum I guess as they do it for the home prototypes there's no demand to do it in Japan.

Still one of those I'll do it one day challenges / promises we make ourselves ;)

I think the photos prove it's more than a joke DM ;) just need a 4/4 II now, oh and coaches and wagons and . . .

The only problem with the Kato models is they haven't decided to accommodate Z in the loco designs which makes regauging a big job. Shame really as if they'd made the block narrower it would have been appealing to the existing Nm modellers too. 

(...)

I think the photos prove it's more than a joke DM ;) just need a 4/4 II now, oh and coaches and wagons and . . .

Paul, you know AB Modell do the regauging job in an excellent way. I can tell you, being a Nm modeller, I am satisyied with the GEX and Allegra   :yes: . Other models are on the way (Pirata Models announced in Nurnberg the ABe 4/4 III always in N scale, http://www.piratamodels.it/it/; Kato is planning for other models, after the Allegra).

And N Track is on the way to realize the Ge 4/4 II in Nm, you know.

PS To any interested in Nm I recommend the European N Scale Convention 2015 in Stuttgart, this year it will host the second Nm Convention...

Edited by VanBasten

• RMweb Gold

Yes but it costs a lot ;) for the time being I'm ignoring it and hoping I don't notice! I've been looking at their stock and dreaming of finding time to 3D print some vans and a cement wagon or two but I need to learn 3D printing first ;)

• RMweb Gold

Ah the may be now but I have a few that are discernible but the drawings are basic.

VB the coaches are easy it's the locos that cost a lot to do. I could probably do it myself if I had plenty of time but these are really a quick fun project so I'm only really interested doing it if it's fast. Too many other projects ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was looking for wagons to make the container flats and spotted the right containers at Eurotrack, a pair on a wagon. Creanorm Art 5011 is the wagon though that isn't suitable I did get exactly the right containers though a bit pricy just for them ;) . After a bit of guessing I found the Kato 8006 which is nearly perfect. It's a tad short but as the container is 1/160 rather than 1/150 it looks right. I popped off the body, cut off the clips and raised strip on each side and plonked on the container. It needs some mountings making for the couplers as they don't fit the wagon pockets but a pin drilled into the chassis should sort that out.

3432FB65-B3B0-487B-94F0-B90B72F28BD3.jpg

Glued on some bufferbeams and the data panel plate.

F20A609B-BE72-4A1D-955E-323A3711AD83.jpg

Quick paint and glue on the container with the Kato weight wedged inside.

ECA1E0AB-0E3B-4C4C-AA9B-E8E0DF000072.jpg

Just need to fit the couplings once it's all dry.

• Like 3

A friend of mine is used to scratchbuild his RhB freight cars and coaches... in paper: he just put a Bemo H0m model on the photocopy machine glass, resize the picture to the correct 1:160 and print all the parts, then cutting & gluing he builds up the model on a Marklin chassis.

It is really easy, he says, I have to find out some pictures, spectacular results...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'd like to see that. I've seen some stunning stuff in card but it's far more prone to warping during building and storage, I started in O gauge using a lot of card modelling but 20 something years later they've all succumbed to damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul just seen your work on the wagons and nice work btw. I am counting down the days till the Allegras come out and am pressuring family for one for special birthday :)

@Antonio would be interested in seeing the pics and a process.

I have some ideas but little funds at the moment but can't harm to plan/dream

Tom