Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

No criticism of posting it, very useful with the unitrack as kato's Japanese customers often just set up temp layouts.

I'd be happy to use them on a layout by cutting off the flat plate and gluing them on, just adding to Gordon's list of options ;)

Paul, no problems at all  :)

I am curious too to see whether it can be used after having cut off the plate and adjusted a bit the pole base...

Paul, no problems at all   :)

I am curious too to see whether it can be used after having cut off the plate and adjusted a bit the pole base...

Yes, that works, it just means that you lose the 'instant' aspect of using Kato off the shelf poles. I've tried a number a variations on the theme of modifying the pole base. None felt really right hence my use of Sommerfeld or other (eg N Train, Dapol)

As far as I have noticed on my travels, due to modernisation, RhB now has about possibly as much as 10 different types of overhead mast and gantry.

N train do a "gotthard route' mast that is not far off the RhB curved upper pole type

Well, I just wanted to let you see another Kato news - I am really curious to see it  :) as I never saw a japanese-style pole.

As I am modelling Nm, I know quite well Michael Bange and N-Track production   :angel:

Here:

img56041934.jpg

As you can see, the arms already look adequately European (and can be cut off and glued to plastic H section uprights) its just the round poles which make them unsuitable 'straight out of the box' for France or Switzerland the two countries I mainly model in in N

Edited by Gordonwis

Another interesting add-on, really curious to see the mast actual size...

I have been using the Stugl Stuhls station as my inspiration for the my layout, and while the AB Modell and N-Track Catenary look a lot better than the KATO or Tomix, The new Kato version does look very similar to the single line masts leaving Stugl on the way to Bergun. Also the AB Modell and N-Track are 1:160 scale whereas the Kato is 1:150 scale which is more suitable for the Kato stock fresh from the box.

I am also very excited about the Pirata Wagons. Is there anywhere I could pre-order them?

I have been in contact with AB modell and pre ordered the Hockey Club Davos GE 4/4 III. In their email they have stated that they are hoping some Rungenwagen will be available in the summer for 9mm Kato stock. 

Yes, as far as I know the Pirata's should be ready for summer. Just e-mail them, they are very friendly, for being pirates  :) 

I am currently having a lovely conversation with the guys at AB Modell who have sent me this:

Neuheiten_Spielwarenmesse2017.pdf

It's a shame I've literally just planted the Viaduct, the Faller version of the Val Tuoi Viaduct looks brilliant. The Pirata wagons look like €79 each!?!?!?!?! 

The catenary is a god send as I was going to plump for the Tomix variety, but I will wait for the new Kato version for my layout, as the N-Track or Sommerfeldt variety is just too expensive for me.

The Pirata wagons look like €79 each!?!?!?!?! 

The  as the N-Track or Sommerfeldt variety is just too expensive for me.

The N Train overhead is very very nice (but very delicate). The Sommerfeldt is old fashioned and much chunkier than the new N Train stuff, so I suspect the Sommerfeldt Swiss outline overhead is more like 1:150 in truth!

All my Sommerfeldt has been acquired second hand so was not expensive.

Model masters quote £7 for a standard mast which I don't think is too expensive for a metal construction including lattice.

Having seen the proposed Pirata price I will be sticking to my converted standard N gauge bogie flats I think!

I forgot to mention Dapol masts

They must surely  be the cheapest to buy new given the current exchanges rates (10 for £6.20 at gaugemaster)

parts of the brackets and register arms can easily be snipped off to make them into one's preferred shape.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Coach sets and the Albula anniversary Ge 4/4 III due out of the factory next week so should start turning up in shops in the next few weeks :)

post-6968-0-56517000-1503739581_thumb.png

Edit:

Just had notification my set is on the way.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well after Parcelfarce spent a week ignoring the redirects they promised to deliver by 10am today, . . So their clocks appear to be 2hrs 29 min slow!

Anyway this was in the packet

post-6968-0-59078800-1505216459_thumb.jpg

Popped them in order in the bigger box.

post-6968-0-15098200-1505216600_thumb.jpg

On 249mm radius

post-6968-0-16373600-1505216626_thumb.jpg

Neurot on the left and the older red livery on the right.

post-6968-0-08196000-1505216661_thumb.jpg

Allegra on 216mm rad vs the Albula set on the 249mm

post-6968-0-77231900-1505216683_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...