Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

23 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes which might indicate a Kato one on the way spoiler ;) 

Mmmm, hardly daring to hope, that would be excellent news! :)

The large window coach (AS 1256?) pictured is a Bernina length vehicle isn't it, which is again rather intriguing, as to what basis they are using?

I'm liking the Barenland coach, was hoping they would do one of them - I think that's a Pirata custom repaint I could perhaps justify spending for as a one-off.

Likewise, depending on price, I might be more tempted to buy a one-off of their SI wagons than I am a log flat, as I suspect the SI would be a royal pig to kitbash or scratchbuild with the correct 'see-through-ness' - looks like it's a pic of an HOm one though from the couplers?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Glorious NSE said:

The large window coach (AS 1256?) pictured is a Bernina length vehicle isn't it, which is again rather intriguing, as to what basis they are using?

Likewise, depending on price, I might be more tempted to buy a one-off of their SI wagons than I am a log flat, as I suspect the SI would be a royal pig to kitbash or scratchbuild with the correct 'see-through-ness' - looks like it's a pic of an HOm one though from the couplers?

The Arosa first is a unique coach so no idea what basis that will be made from. 
Yes a Bemo Si HOm photo and I assume it’s going to be brass sides. Time to look for 1/150 A frame containers :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

MDS new liveries only

https://mds-modell.eu/files/web/doks/Neuheiten-2020-03.pdf

The Hakone one is a surprising choice with so many Kato ones out there still. 

57F7D9DC-AD6F-477E-8574-73375396282E.jpeg.9d7d8484c5a1fb2ad4962838867845b6.jpeg

EB9E78C3-828D-4929-B30D-1CF85D7F6C12.jpeg.175548269f884128c2e9183a08024e0b.jpeg

Bit of a stupid question (probably!) but the ad says N gauge and then 1:150, does this mean that the wheel sets are to the Nm gauge? I thought continental N was 1:160??

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cornish trains jez said:

Bit of a stupid question (probably!) but the ad says N gauge and then 1:150, does this mean that the wheel sets are to the Nm gauge? I thought continental N was 1:160??

Best regards,

Jeremy

No not stupid at all ;)

Kato used 1/150 to get it a fraction closer to metre gauge while still using standard track. This is why a few of us call it Nm9 - N scale m gauge but on 9mm track. It’s a compromise but it does keep it relatively affordable compared to Bemo HOm & Om. 

ABmodel and others do true Nm RhB but it’s a lot more expensive as mostly custom made in brass.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

(...)

Kato used 1/150 to get it a fraction closer to metre gauge while still using standard track. This is why a few of us call it Nm9 - N scale m gauge but on 9mm track. It’s a compromise but it does keep it relatively affordable compared to Bemo HOm & Om. 

ABmodel and others do true Nm RhB but it’s a lot more expensive as mostly custom made in brass.  

AB Modell and others offer also the axles change, in order to use the 1/150 material on a 6,5 mm gauge track.

22 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes a Bemo Si HOm photo and I assume it’s going to be brass sides. Time to look for 1/150 A frame containers :) 

This one is available in 1/148 with the truck which isn't bad. They might sell it separately in 1/148 if you ask (it is already available in 1/160 separately and IIRC these are 3d printed.)

https://railnscale.com/2019/06/21/volvo-f10-abrollkipper/

There's other options in 1/160...

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice little parcel just arrived but why supply locos fitted with the close coupling but coaches with rapido couplers? Both come with the alternative couplers but it requires one changing, make yer mind up Kato ;) 

7A1F8C96-85EE-40E8-BF75-0239B2C7B34E.jpeg.771056d0ddb856bd09051c5307212863.jpeg

917CD984-EA3F-46B8-9BB9-10A7720C93B7.jpeg.870a2e01bf6d2cd7b061d2fb7c2c06e1.jpeg

D3AA6665-B075-4427-8289-6D139287CB47.jpeg.69fc91aa27e5fddc6e41e792c6da49af.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yep so I guess there’s a lot of trainset collectors pinging springs off into the carpet! ;) Not a worry for me as I change them on the locos regardless, I’ve fitted close couplings to all my GEX and microtrains to the end of all sets. 
Can you imagine the fury in the Hornby or Bachmann threads? ;) 

• Funny 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Follow the links, there’s a lovely driving trailer but I can’t see it being offered for sale anywhere 

http://tombi.fshiba.com/?cid=23&fbclid=IwAR3_Hw1-2RFDFc-mr0qBgBUJpzWofYyMdn6WtV7BhGDNWQZlJkq1p9vZY58

Does some lovely tram models which seem to be his speciality.

Technically his approach is interesting in contrast to what a lot of folk are doing in that he constructs the model like an injection moulded kit within a surrounding sprue rather than trying to print a complete shell. Its a resin printer at very high resolution but I suspect as the print job is relatively flat i.e. fewer layers. The only big build up is the shell of the cab. Its probably relatively quick to print, unlikely to warp and economic as there will be little support material. It's a very ingenious approach. 

image.png

• Like 5