Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

• RMweb Gold

This is the list of renders

And an overview of all models so far.
covered  vans : Gb, Gk, Gbk-v
open wagons : E, Ek, Fb
Flat cars : Kw (sides down), Kkl, Kkw (with stakes), Lbk (with trash bins), Kw (sides up)

and he’s looking at 

There are some more versions planned to come later on, including Uce silo cars as well as tank cars.

This is the link if you sign up to NGRM. 
https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/forums/topic/22609-kato-mds-rhb-new-items-nm9-1150/&do=findComment&comment=704804

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Do you have a link please ? the NGRM link appears to be members only

Thanks

Jon

That’s all there is, he’s hosted it on his blog and that’s the image link from NGRM, the detail of what he’s up to is in my post above. 

16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

This is the list of renders

And an overview of all models so far.
covered  vans : Gb, Gk, Gbk-v
open wagons : E, Ek, Fb
Flat cars : Kw (sides down), Kkl, Kkw (with stakes), Lbk (with trash bins), Kw (sides up)

and he’s looking at 

There are some more versions planned to come later on, including Uce silo cars as well as tank cars.

This is the link if you sign up to NGRM. 
https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/forums/topic/22609-kato-mds-rhb-new-items-nm9-1150/&do=findComment&comment=704804

If you don’t want to sign up to NGRM I’ll post updates as Gerd provides details :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

But why has Noch then apparently photoshopped that number onto a regular van for their publicity?

I suspect their little presentation missed that detail when they found a nicer picture? ;) 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I suspect their little presentation missed that detail when they found a nicer picture? ;) 

Their docs suggests it's a 4 wheeler too. Presumably if you buy it there's a special offer where you get two more axles free if you buy one. :D

Screenshot_20210129_085726_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpgan widget

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Have you a link to the site please? Thanks. 

The low dropsides are useful for current era modelers even if the rest aren't. 

Only link is to NGRM which you will have to register to on my previous post, Gerd hasn’t put them on his blog he’s just hosting the pic via his blog. 
NGRM is run by Roger & Matt Chivers of Finelines and its successors Five79. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

The low dropsides are useful for current era modelers even if the rest aren't. 

The Gbk vans with the x on the ventilators still are in use on heritage, (renumbered to D4076-9), and works trains, (Xk9323-6). They get tagged on the back of passenger trains for moves. The Fb steel high sided opens are only recently gone too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Their docs suggests it's a 4 wheeler too. Presumably if you buy it there's a special offer where you get two more axles free if you buy one. :D

Screenshot_20210129_085726_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpgan widget

It is a bogie car. If I recall these run on GEX bogies. There was some discussion briefly about would it be a pantograph fitted luggage van but Kato seem to have come down on the older type. I notice that the EW1 cars are going to get another re-run. I wonder if they might be in a livery variation? There does seem to be a slight smack of conservatism within Kato over the colour schemes certainly for locos. I've always wanted a locoo called "BUGA"!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The Gbk vans with the x on the ventilators still are in use on heritage, (renumbered to D4076-9), and works trains, (Xk9323-6). They get tagged on the back of passenger trains for moves. The Fb steel high sided opens are only recently gone too. 

True, though there's a plastic one coming anyhow for those vans? 

19 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Only link is to NGRM which you will have to register to on my previous post, Gerd hasn’t put them on his blog he’s just hosting the pic via his blog. 
NGRM is run by Roger & Matt Chivers of Finelines and its successors Five79. 

NGRM is a "Safe Site" and I think lives on Facebook but I stand open to correction on that point. I have been on it for at least 10 years maybe 15 and the Chivers family is to be trusted.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mike Beard said:

There was some discussion briefly about would it be a pantograph fitted luggage van but Kato seem to have come down on the older type.

Mike, as Martyn noted Kato are showin the later modified version in their flyer, Noch have got it wrong. 

I notice that the EW1 cars are going to get another re-run. I wonder if they might be in a livery variation?

from the catalogue it says a mix of both liveries 

F5380E22-BEAE-4EB7-B4D2-E06DF6EBCD5B.jpeg.bb2d5070a68a18a79dc5553f3ff220e3.jpeg

It is a bogie car. If I recall these run on GEX bogies. There was some discussion briefly about would it be a pantograph fitted luggage van but Kato seem to have come down on the older type. I notice that the EW1 cars are going to get another re-run. I wonder if they might be in a livery variation? There does seem to be a slight smack of conservatism within Kato over the colour schemes certainly for locos. I've always wanted a locoo called "BUGA"!

Was just poking a bit of fun at Noch Mike. ;)

I think the published number and Kato's image confirm its a pantograph fitted one. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

True, though there's a plastic one coming anyhow for those vans? 

True but with Pirata it could be a while, the 2020 releases aren’t all out yet and probably more expensive ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mike Beard said:

Re the Luggage Van. I'll believe what it is when I see an actual model, preferably in my hand. A lifetimes experience of opening labelled boxes and finding something completely different inside points me this way. :huh:.

Well if you go with the Kato info I doubt there’s a problem :good:

Noch did the wagon tease with Bemo pictures two years ago and I think their enthusiasm to test reactions gets the better of them. At least they try to help us by providing an English language catalogue but it’s often suffered from proof reading errors in translation on their own ranges so I’m not surprised two axle got through ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB

I wonder if Pirata will deduct the Italian VAT or its equivalent and add British VAT with all the ramifications that brings or will we be faced with paying UK VAT as well as Italian? I also hope that the Arnold coupler socket is much better than MDS on their vans. I ended up stripping them back completely and fitting Microtrains ones. I don't normally complain!

I remember seeing the catalogue showed two sets of  4 of the new EW1 coaches. One set is more expensive, any idea why that was?

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It would be interesting to know if Gerd's wagons were still in regular use for a post 2010 "Allegra" era. Sourcing wheels and couplings would still be a worry and I would hope these Shapeways prints would come out better than the last one I ordered.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, the Goblin said:

would be interesting to know if Gerd's wagons were still in regular use for a post 2010 "Allegra" era. Sourcing wheels and couplings would still be a worry and I would hope these Shapeways prints would come out better than the last one I ordered.

The three flat / low sided wagons are still current. The Fb high sided open with steel panel sides went in 2006-10. The flat with ballast bins were replaced by the hoppers but not sure how long they lasted with the engineers as they did appear for a while alongside hoppers. The wooden high side opens  seem to have lasted until around 2000. The Gbk-v vans with the X pressed panel ventilators at the top corners are now just in heritage and engineering use, various liveries but there are around 20 or so and I saw several two years ago. The two older Gb & Gk vans with wooden planked doors have been gone for about 30 ish years apart from the couple in the heritage fleet. 

edit: corrected dates on Fb wagons

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As with anything railway it’s best to study the pics and videos on YouTube and use those as a guide. I’ve got a picture from 2014 with three Gbk vans tagged on the back of an Albula train and they had long since gone from general use so probably the heritage ones.
Railpictures.net has hundreds of RhB pics if you filter it by Switzerland and use keywords like Albula, Rhatische, Engadine, Bernina etc. and most are dated. The RhB also moves any small extra stock transfers by tagging them onto a service train, passenger or freight, so no problem to stick a hopper, couple of four wheel wagons or even a shunting tractor on the back. 
I think the corporate look is restricting this a bit in the last five years as it becoming rarer to see anything but container wagons attached to passenger trains on the Albula route but still common behind Allegra’s on the Arosa and Bernina. 
The only thing I’ve not seen is any freight tagged onto the railcar commuter sets, either the 4 car Allegra’s or the Davos sets, as I assume their single power car and tight schedules means they would struggle to keep time. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1