Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

On 29/01/2021 at 12:23, the Goblin said:

I remember seeing the catalogue showed two sets of  4 of the new EW1 coaches. One set is more expensive, any idea why that was?

Have a feeling one of them comes with the big green "storage book" which has enough extra slots to take the other 4 as well. 

(Not a cost thing, but theres also a different mix of first and second class coaches included, one may be more useful than the other from a proto POV!) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone on here plucked up the courage to weather their Kato locos or stock? I'd be interested to see the results.

Most of the prototype photos of the RhB I've seen so the locos and carriages in clean external condition but presumably the chassis areas and roofs pick up some dirt from being in service?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Has anyone on here plucked up the courage to weather their Kato locos or stock? I'd be interested to see the results.

Most of the prototype photos of the RhB I've seen so the locos and carriages in clean external condition but presumably the chassis areas and roofs pick up some dirt from being in service?

No bizarrely I’ve weathered the Om but not got round to the Nm! I will weather the goods stock eventually to various extents but the advertising liveries tend to be kept clean. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, backofanenvelope said:

I’ve long thought about respraying one of mine, but then I would need an airbrush so common sense prevails at the moment.... but the day will come.

You don’t need an airbrush :) You can do it with thinned washes too. I think the best policy is to have a mix of methods as some stock is weathered by dust and dirt whipped up as the train passes, like the fine dirt of an airbrush, and some is dirt and rust washed down. These were both done with washes. 
167F2116-337D-4CB9-86F7-C1D05B1234D2.jpeg.7ba81fe2faae6debe514391b35477b94.jpeg

59513C2E-4772-4521-ADB9-299DB9E84972.jpeg.868de3676580ad596a9c8c0fc48aaef5.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, backofanenvelope said:

Ok Paul, I always thought it best done with airbrush, but I might just need to get some more paints then!

You can’t do effects like this with an airbrush ;)

151CC60C-CD64-4646-8A42-6F6C3406FBE8.jpeg.bbf11f99f1f8cc5e931f62301455bebb.jpeg

I use the airbrush, washes and dry brushing on different items, and sometimes a mix of two techniques, but I don’t consider the airbrush as better just an extra tool in the armoury for certain effects. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, backofanenvelope said:

Ok Paul. That weathering is very impressive. I know its in a bigger scale but even so.. What are the paints you are using for the washes? 

Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. I use their thinners for fine overall washes, probably best in N and water is ok on the Om but you need to watch for excessive ‘tide marks’ from the water’s meniscus if you use it. I put on some fairly heavy washes for the roof dirt and dab at it with foam and paper towels to remove some and drag it as if it’s washed down. For wood work I paint over the wood with greys, let it start to skin after about 30 secs then scrape some off with foam and then soften it with grey and brown washes. There’s usually a darkish brown, rusty orangey brown Deck linoleum if I remember correctly and a mid grey. I keep empty pots and use them to mix up washes from new pots with 50-70% thinners and then sometimes put thinners in a milk bottle top and just add a brushful of the wash to that to get a really thin one. It’s all about layers. 
Start with thin washes and build up at first, you can play with taking off the thicker ones when you’re happier with techniques. Try it on something like a painted Lego brick to see how it goes. I practice on spare wagon bodies where I’ve used the chassis on other things. The first coat may look too flat but I do most of mine with just the three pots mentioned above open. 
A pot of water to hand with a big brush and paper towel/old handkerchief can remove most of an overdone block of colour and take it back a bit. 
You can see the three brushes, plastic tops and neat paint pots in those pics, it’s not a lot of gear at all. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I’m going to have a go. I’ve got some n gauge coaches I can try out on along with as you say Lego. I’ll put order in for paints tomorrow and the see what happens. I’ve been watching RhB webcam and quite a lot of the Allegra’s are reasonably gritty around the roof and upper sides.. the Ge loks seem a bit more cleaner

Edited by backofanenvelope
Correcting the auto correct

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrTea said:

I’ve had my invoice through from Traintrax for my Allegra and RhB panorama wagon so I think these might be imminent. 

You must have a near identical order in to me ;) I’ll look forward to hearing from Keith. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, the Goblin said:

The Allegra and BEX coach sets are now on the Traintrax site to order - rather than pre-order. Must resist, must resist, ....!

Not a chance! You know it make sense :D

• Funny 3