Kato GEX sets and the future

backofanenvelope

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

10-1273 Allegra is a new number 3508

10-1656 is three panoramic cars and 2096 open Pano car.

10-1655 is three panoramic cars.

5253 is 2097 open pano car. 

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/allegra

1C9D567A-34F3-4D1F-A07F-BBED9AEB0FDA.jpeg.c213e98c3ddeb7329dfddcb09feeac0d.jpeg

This announcement is very welcome news. We’d been a bit starved of RhB releases since the Gourmino restaurant car and Glacier Express Ge4/4 earlier in the year. 

Hopefully the production of the panorama car shows that Kato are interested in expanding their RhB range and that single ‘interesting’ vehicles are commercially viable as well as the book set type rolling stock packs. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

FYI These items are now available for pre-order at Traintrax. Due Jan 2021.

I'm tempted to order an Allegra as I can't find anywhere that has the previous release in stock in the UK.

With the Bernina Express coaches does anyone know when they changed from RhB branded to use the new 'Bernina Express' logotype?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Looks very good. 

"Current" modellers will need to mod the footsteps, they don't have them anymore! 

(Comparing 2019-2020 shots, only a change this year...)

So only access from adjoining coaches now? Seems a bit odd when the coach verandas are so narrow to force more onto them, I wonder if it was a gauging issue with the doors?

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So only access from adjoining coaches now? Seems a bit odd when the coach verandas are so narrow to force more onto them, I wonder if it was a gauging issue with the doors?

Yes its a bit odd, particularly since the balcony coaches  have outward opening doors (without a window) that block the way if someone is getting out from inside - the time taken to de-train if the open door is hinged on the exit side is silly.

I wondered if it was to stop everyone rushing for the open coach, to spread the passenger loading across the other coaches?

Jon

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, jonhall said:

I wondered if it was to stop everyone rushing for the open coach, to spread the passenger loading across the other coaches?

Possibly a covid thing to restrict access temporarily too? 
Anyway we will wait and see, anyone modelling 2020 may have to paint masks on everyone and snip off the steps! 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Just putting reference pics out in case anyone does want to do the mod as looking closely both ends have been changed.

This corner loses the passenger steps, but gains handrails and a shunters drop-step.

1041486837_RHB_2099_Ilanz_23082020(78)-XL.jpg.138f02be7276c19d4467aa54767b0a3a.jpg

The opposite side just loses the steps leaving a big void.

1562321543_RHB_2098_Pontresina_25082020(28)-XL.jpg.79704406602cc8c1ee0d50e8622a6dfe.jpg

The "blind" end has also gained a drop step and more handrails:

380676288_RHB_2101_Bruscio_27082020(40)-XL.jpg.faf45a9c7de2432ff69005c643073a77.jpg

These mods apply to all the 4 wheelers, i've only put pics of the style Kato is using tho.

Interestingly comparing the images on Haribu with my own the bogie car (2111) has had its original sloping passenger steps replaced by new vertical steps!

Another thought might be that when used on the BEX (they haven't been this year as the Landquart-Davos-Tirano that usually uses one hasn't run) this would mean the open car is only accessible from the panoramic coaches, and non-supplement passengers can't board it direct.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Going by the 2020 releases are due this month probably next year! ;)  we will have to wait for the flyers to appear on the Kato site to get a date and that’s usually three months out. 
https://www.katomodels.com/posters

Coaches come up frequently on eBay and they usually drop reruns in every six months or so on existing sets. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

I've said elsewhere than unlike previous issues of Noch inspired models these are not Noch exclusives so it will be possible to buy them from TrainTrax or others, not Gaugemaster going by their current pricing, at reasonable UK prices. I think with Brexit etc the days of buying cheaply from Japan are over.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mike Beard said:

these are not Noch exclusives so it will be possible to buy them from TrainTrax

Keith’s had all the previous Noch exclusives, albeit briefly. 

3 hours ago, Mike Beard said:

I think with Brexit etc the days of buying cheaply from Japan are over.

How does Brexit really affect Japan? ;) Ok we have a slightly different deal but  we’ve been charged VAT and import on their products all the time. The biggest difference is the post office’s system introduced last year that labels and catches everything that used to slip through.  If a parcel is over £135 it seems the charges are all added this end anyway so it might just mean making that the minimum price bundle. 

More importantly Gerd, over on NGRM, is seriously considering doing some more freight stock after his old stuff was lost. Will post details if it progresses. 

• Like 1

Keith still seems to have some of Nochs specials. Um.

As to Gerd's 3D printing on NGRM I've said what I think there but if we only got RhB bogies that can accept Microtrains couplers Fox Valley 33" x 0.540" axle wheels that would be good. I suppose you could have a Microtrains adapter one end of the bogie and a decent Arnold/Kato adapter the other end and just remove the one you don't want.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, the Goblin said:

What sort of wagons is Gerd thinking of? Are these wagons in use currently or historic stock? What would be needed to get them running on a layout. 

Gerd asked “Would you finish/use 3d printed 4-wheel freight wagons in 1:150 scale on Nm9?”

He previously had the 4 wheel vans so I guess those plus other options maybe things like the container flat with asstd bodies and possibly cement wagons.