Queensland railway crossing risk taking survey

Perhaps some of the Queenslanders here might be interested in the following:

Explaining risk-taking at railway crossings: A QUT study into pedestrian behaviour.

I was interested to see the following quote:

"Some of the highest rates of rule-breaking and mistakes come from suburbs such as Wynnum, Coorparoo and Bethania."

The survey is an attempt to understand level crossing behaviour by pedestrians.

The link to the survey (for Queensland residents over 16 who recently using a railway crossing in Queensland as a pedestrian) is here.

Presumably this is a response to incidents like the one at Cannon Hill last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RanYe3uRDDo#t=12

My old stomping grounds are on the Cleveland line. I spent my university days on it every week day.

The island platforms (like Coorparoo, Hemmant, Wynnum, Wynnum Central and Manly) were built that way at the time of duplication of the line in 1912.

I'd be surprised if there was a problem at "Wynnum" - the road/rail crossing there is quite isolated unless the problem is people not using the footbridge (something that has happened there for years - even in an official capacity). There was a stump under the platform edge that the station master would use after crossing both the siding and the down line (when there was a station master and a station master's house at Wynnum). My memory is hazy but there was a barrow crossing somewhere at Wynnum too. It might have been on the up side of the station closer to what I'll politely call the goods shed.

It was a shed and it was on the siding. Happily it is still there and I'm told it is a 'listed' structure. The station masters house and the station building are gone. The platform-mounted signal box, once connected to the ticket office by a breeze way remains.

Problems at the Florence St (technically Ronald St) crossing at Wynnum Central are inevitable. It's very similar to the Cavendish Road crossing at Coorparoo which has the added problem of the dual gauge Port of Brisbane freight line. 

At Coorparoo there are actually twin crossings, one at Cav. Road and one in Stanley Street. Does the surveyor specify which one, if either, is the problem one?

In days long past (before the Merivale Bridge and before electrification), I would cross the line near the Deshon Street overbridge, always being very careful to keep a lookout for trains in either direction. I probably wouldn't do that nowadays! On the occasions that I used the train to get to work, I would get off at Coorparoo and walk back to where I needed to be. It was not a very convenient arrangement for pedestrians in general unless they wanted to get to Cavendish Road (I didn't).

Archived