Hornby recruiting a researcher

knapper

If I lived nearer I might apply. I do have a good knowledge of railways (although not as in depth as some, maybe) and good research skills. A degree in Product Design should give me the required insight into the production side of thing. Oh well.

• RMweb Gold

While I doubt they could afford me I might at least help their age profile and any ambitions they have to employ older people but I wouldn't want to move home.  However could they use RMweb for some of it through some sort of 'trojan horse' poster who asks questions to help with his modelling research without disclosing what its really for?  Or would the web simply be 'too leaky' to do it that way and they could instead establish a sort of 'consultant pool' where they have knowledgeable folk on tap?

Might save them a bit of money on the research post and would definitely save a lot of money on travelling to/from museums etc and in the reference library they could well need.

I hope Hornby means an additional researcher. We could be in for another bleak period if they've currently got nobody to research future models before they move on to the design stage... :no:

The designers are also researchers, as indeed, they are at Bachmann, too.

A pity Margate's a long way from Peterborough.

You're not the only person who has said that!

The ar*e end of Kent is a long way from everywhere. Some would say that is a good thing...

Seriously, I think this will seriously limit their recruitment prospects.

And I'd also add that I think no one person could do the job.

Regards

Igor

• RMweb Gold

The emphasis on the commercial and manufacturing "constraints" are interesting. Sounds like a way of saying "get real!" to all the dreamers  :)

When Tri-ang took over Hornby Dublo it was a great pity that they didn't make Liverpool their business centre.  I was lucky to spend nearly 25 years in industrial research - at the cutting edge of technology - but I wouldn't have wanted to live near Margate.  We were based in Newcastle (that is 'upon Tyne') and we served the whole of the United Kingdom.

Regards

Ray

You'd think in this day and age a research post could be home based with only occasional presence required at HQ. Especially as the post holder is likely to be banging it up and down the motorways to various repositories of information. Also if they're going to NRM on a regular basis they might be minded to take a track rubber for the Hornby layout! 

I doubt Hornby would want anyone put off by their Margate address. The town does have issues but some of the comments here seemed based on reputation rather than first hand knowledge. Equally East Kent is a varied area though I expect someone will find something wrong with either Broadstairs or Canterbury.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster would be perfect for anything GW related. I'm surprised they haven't hired him already.

Not so good on coaches I'm afraid - but i know a man who is.  I think that is actually a very important point about any research - not just knowing where to look but also knowing who to ask, that can save an enormous amount of trouble and I'm sure many folk can be relied on to treat matters in confidence.

• RMweb Gold

You'd think in this day and age a research post could be home based with only occasional presence required at HQ. Especially as the post holder is likely to be banging it up and down the motorways to various repositories of information. Also if they're going to NRM on a regular basis they might be minded to take a track rubber for the Hornby layout! 

Why not take the train?? :nono:

I do wonder if having just one researcher is a bit silly, as one person may have a better understanding of the GWR (and it's constituents) and BR(W) and not as deep an understanding of current railway practice.

By having a small number of people with more focused interests, it may help make things that bit easier than one man trying to juggle all the information from, say, 1923 to 2013.

Everyone is prone to human factors (i.e. the occasional error) why have dedicated researchers even some photographic evidence has been proven wrong in incorrectly dated; number information; the presence of yellow panels etc.

Dapol Dave surely showed the way to go with the Western development encourage the masses for their input, if done correctly when the commitment to produce comes their should be no alarming errors present within the model.

I'm sadly (like others) located too far away to seriously consider the post, but the question regarding salary got me. I've applied for jobs before that have asked you to state your salary aspirations, but a quick bit of research on the internet normally leads to you a reasonable figure. In this case though, I wouldn't really know what i'd put down as a salary aspiration for such a position. You can find research positions in differing fields, which seem to draw anywhere between £20k - £35k depending on what you are doing, but this position seems very rare - how many people in the UK can class theirselves as model railway researchers and actually get paid to do it? 

Archived