The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Yes really, Charlie paid them to do make them. Sub contracted if you like.

Cheers

Shane

The REALTRACK Class 144s (and 143s) were made at our first factory.  It's not a "Rapido" model as the factory made it to REALTRACK's specs.  So the brilliant reception the 144s got is entirely due to the hard work of Charlie and his team and Rapido can't take any of the credit.  

In contrast, the APT-E is a Rapido model.  We'll gladly take the credit for its successes (and failures - though not so gladly).

We're still using that factory for a lot of our production as they do great work, but many of our newer models are produced at the MLW factory. The lead times at the first factory are measured in years whereas the lead times at the MLW factory are measured in months.

The APT-E is being made at the MLW factory, and if we do any more projects with Charlie (and we hope to!) they will be produced at the MLW factory as well.

-Jason

• Like 1

Rapido have 'The Man' in China to project manage various models, they helped us via 'The Man' the iron out issues (His Chinese & English) is better than mine, to get where we are today, Jason might come over as a 'Nutter', I can assure you that what he promises, HAPPENS!

The UK market needs innovation, flair, style, quality & Jason.    PPS Bill comes in handy too!   + 'The Man'

• Like 7

That's Syston Curve just north of Leicester in that vid that Mel found. It was the sharpest curve we ever took E-Train round and I think the speed limit was 10 mph.

Here's a shot of a Hastings Coach test train heading back to Derby on Syston, it's VERY sharp! And back then there were lots of semaphore signals still about in the East Midlands.

S7Mnk0.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

...or a roughly 71 inch radius curve in OO.

I take it the Class 25 in the picture could only be used on Radius 2 or greater track?

If at all possible we didn't use the darn thing at all, on ANY radius curve! :no2:

25s seemed to put a curse on APD test trains, about half an hour after that pic was taken, in the middle of Trent Junction, we had an air spring failure in Hastings Coach and the body fell down onto the bump stops. The ride was APPALLING and we all de-camped into Lab 3 for the rest of the trip back to Derby.

Have a dig on youtube for Jean Jacques Perrey... you'll find plenty of odd moog based cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKI8GY69lyU

Forget sound modules, for those of you with long memories of such musical creations, this year is the 50th Anniversary of Moog producing their first synth and there is a special event on in Bloomsbury, London on 11th October and a few classic synth bands playing too. Mark Jenkins "Klaus Schulze" and "Tangerine Dream" sets (live), plus Moog UK distribution demos and more. 

Relieve your youth!  

Tickets £18.99 from moog50london@gmail.com

Edited by shreds

we had an air spring failure in Hastings Coach and the body fell down onto the bump stops. The ride was APPALLING

You were lucky - spent 9 months riding them every weekday on the Southern's indifferent track !!!!  :O

I used to perversely ride in the motor coach just to experience the full hideousness of the ride    :crazy:

'Hastings Coach', or 'Laboratory 4' officially, had dispensed with the original bogies, and almost everything else under the body shell as well. We used it to test the APT-P bogie, tilt and suspension systems as could tilt 6 deg and still stay within the C1 gauge.

It had H4X bogies, two of only four ever made, and it had big secondary air springs which had solid rubber bump stops inside in case the air pressure failed, which it did in the case I mentioned. 'Hastings' still exists and it's at the Electric Railway Museum nr Coventry Airport, but it's in pretty bad shape thanks to the 'loving care' which Hastings Diesels subjected it to for many years. It's owned by the APT-E Conservation and Support Group but we don't have enough money to sort it out as yet.

SPZLlt.jpg

H4X-3 bogie showing the air spring

zQkS7p.jpg

'Hastings Coach' tilted 6 deg at Sandbach Station.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You were lucky - spent 9 months riding them every weekday on the Southern's indifferent track !!!!  :O

I used to perversely ride in the motor coach just to experience the full hideousness of the ride    :crazy:

I grew up thinking that all trains were Hastings line diesels. Why has no one produced a model? I can't think of a better DMU for DCC sound. I remember them making more noise that a Paxman Valenta, and as they were slugs you could enjoy the noise much longer. Ahhh the sound of them pulling away from Tunbridge Wells Central station uphill through a tunnel with the sound thundering off the brickwork about 3 cm from the coaches....