The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, I was looking in the wrong place.

It certainly does look like PACT, you can see where the sleepers start at either end of the stretch. 

the Crewe track will be this one

http://www.bbrail.co.uk/Products-and-Services/Track/Embedded-Rail-System

more details about the track system here:

http://www.innotrack.net/IMG/pdf/d233-f2p-design_manufacture_bbers_components.pdf

Ordered and paid my deposit at Warley, had a look at the version on display and it was superb, can't wait to get the finished version now Andy

Same here, well my lad paid after snaffling my wallet out of my back pocket!

That's the one, yes.  :no:

Interesting that a] It runs! and b] It's a 6 car in the still pics but a 4 car running on the layout.

I wonder what happened to it?

I've got an office desk oddments tray, presented to me by Paul Leadley and the rest of the E-Train Support Group when I retired, that shows another variant of the turbine powered train. I think it was one of the RR Dart powered versions and it's interesting that there are passenger seats in the Power Cars too. The model's 'bogies' are wood blocks with printed paper details, which are well knackered, so I'm going to fix them with pics of the E1 and maybe SA bogies too.  :no:

6XSt1h.jpg

8LRwA5.jpg

ymsFDd.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 12

Found this whilst looking for something else...

11d6b809f9e9336c09019bfee08c0684.jpg

I don't think BR got the front end quite right in theirs. ;)

Pix

I used to have a Magpie book about trains from the 70s and I remember how they had a photo of that design of APT in it, as well as a picture of BR's proposal for a mag lev train!

Ordered and paid my deposit at Warley, had a look at the version on display and it was superb, can't wait to get the finished version now Andy

I see the banner advertisement every day here. It really does look tempting, despite my self-inflicted 'rules' for purchase.

I used to have a Magpie book about trains from the 70s and I remember how they had a photo of that design of APT in it, as well as a picture of BR's proposal for a mag lev train!

06da7361fef5c2d045614928298df40a.jpg

68620b48592cc7155fefa43fc0982671.jpg

a06851c77e3ee9587e321f4bbff8ebae.jpg

To be honest, I found it a hard read. I think I'll stick to colouring in.

(Apologies for the thread diversion, Jason)

Pix

• Like 6

Pix

That's the bunny! I see that it was actually a hovercraft and not a mag lev as I thought . I also seem to remember that there was a picture of a PEP style EMU which looked pretty futuristic back then. Thanks Pix!

Funnily enough yesterday I also read a story about how BR patented a nuclear powered flying saucer in the 70s! It seems that back then the BR engineers really did let their imagination run riot.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/british-rail-once-patented-a-flying-saucer/

Edited by bennyboy

That's the bunny! I see that it was actually a hovercraft and not a mag lev as I thought . I also seem to remember that there was a picture of a PEP style EMU which looked pretty futuristic back then. Thanks Pix!

Funnily enough yesterday I also read a story about how BR patented a nuclear powered flying saucer in the 70s! It seems that back then the BR engineers really did let their imagination run riot.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/british-rail-once-patented-a-flying-saucer/

That EMU was the prototype 'High Density Stock' aka 2-PEP or 4-PEP and later Class 445, built at York C&W and tested by me and others at the RTC. I could tell some funny stories about that period.  :no:

• RMweb Gold

That EMU was the prototype 'High Density Stock' aka 2-PEP or 4-PEP and later Class 445, built at York C&W and tested by me and others at the RTC. I could tell some funny stories about that period.  :no:

Go on then. Tell us a funny story.

Go on then. Tell us a funny story.

Oh, alright then........

When the first 2-PEP was being built I and a Track and Structures colleague  went up to York C&W to strain gauge the prototype shell, prior to it being moved to the RTC for end load and beam tests. The guys up there thought we were off a different planet with all our special glues, miles of very thin cable and gallons of cleaning fluid which we used to cleanse the surfaces prior to the gauging. One of them asked what a strain gauge did so I gauged up his tea mug and connected it to our test meter and told him to fill the mug while we watched the meter. His face was a picture as the meter showed the cup getting larger as the tea heated it up. We told him to grip the mug tightly and the meter moved some more and before long we had a Tea Mug Gripping Championships going as they ALL tried it.  :no:

When the car got down to Derby we did the 250 ton end load tests OK but the beam tests promised to be a swine as the thing was designed to carry LOTS of passengers and we normally did the tests with sand bags, zillions of them of course, but that promised to be lots of hard work. I suggested to my boss that we got some aircraft bag type fuel tanks, place them in the correct positions on the floor and pump them full of water to replicate the test loads, which worked quite well. Well, it did till one of our guys didn't connect the hoses properly and one came off! Umpteen gallons of water all over the vehicle, the Engineering Test Hall, the test rig and the strain gauge instrumentation!  :O

We also had to do a fatigue test on it by using pneumatic rams pulling down on the underframe with the water tanks filled to 95% if I remember correctly. The data logger would  scan all the umpteen gauges at every test load and then signal the air system to apply the next load and this went on for some weeks. I suggested that we run the test for 24 hrs/day as it would save lots of time and arranged some limit switches underneath it to trigger if the body bending passed a particular level and to shut off the system. That worked pretty well too but we lost a few nights test time when it shut down soon after we'd gone home for the night, so I had another brain wave....

I connected the limit switch to a telephone auto-dialler  and programmed it with my home phone number, figuring that if the phone rang and no-one was on the other end it would be the test rig calling me. Needless to say the darn thing ONLY rang in the small hours after that, which didn't go down to well with my wife!

And the last tale of the HDS was the door opening test....

We had to test that the sliding doors worked properly with all the various loads but we couldn't use the water tanks as the hoses went in through the same doors, so we used a 'Self Loading Cargo'. We got some 'volunteers' from the offices and got them to get in and out of the vehicle while we closed and opened the doors and read the strain gauges. That worked well until the maximum load tests when the thing was PACKED with people, sitting and standing of course. We closed the doors, took the readings and then found the doors wouldn't open as the shell had deformed too much!!!  :O

We couldn't let them all out by the corridor connections as the end load rig was still in place blocking the access and they were stuck until I had another brainwave. We set to and reversed the air pipes to the fatigue test jacks and used them to push UP on the body shell just enough to open the doors and let the volunteers out. Phew.....

Which is why the production Class 445s had different door arrangements to the 2 and 4-PEP vehicles.

Life was never dull at the RTC back then.  :no:

[Thread Drift Rules OK.... :no: ]

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 13

We couldn't let them all out by the corridor connections as the end load rig was still in place blocking the access and they were stuck until I had another brainwave. We set to and reversed the air pipes to the fatigue test jacks and used them to push UP on the body shell just enough to open the doors and let the volunteers out. Phew.....

Which is why the production Class 445s had different door arrangements to the 2 and 4-PEP vehicles.

Life was never dull at the RTC back then.  :no:

[Thread Drift Rules OK.... :no: ]

While we are about it the door issues continued after the 313s were placed in service. The service was introduced before all the sets were available which meant many trains ran as 3 rather than 6 cars.

One morning at Finsbury Park I watched bemused as the compressors struggled to deliver air to the suspension and doors. With a crush load of passengers the suspension was taking all the air and the doors would not close. Take off a lot of the passengers and the suspension and doors both got enough air for the doors to close. Off went the train leaving the equivalent of a trainload of passengers for the next 3 car overloaded train just behind. And so it went on.....

Edited by mikeharvey22

While we are about it the door issues continued after the 313s were placed in service. The service was introduced before all the sets were available which meant many trains ran as 3 rather than 6 cars.

One morning at Finsbury Park I watched bemused as the compressors struggled to deliver air to the suspension and doors. With a crush load of passengers the suspension was taking all the air and the doors would not close. Take off a lot of the passengers and the suspension and doors both got enough air for the doors to close. Off went the train leaving the equivalent of a trainload of passengers for the next 3 car overloaded train just behind. And so it went on.....

LOVE it!  :no:

We didn't have any bogies for the 2-PEP at the RTC, or if we did the CM&EE wouldn't let us use them, so the doors weren't fighting for air supply with any airsprings. But having said that I don't think we sized the airflow to the real vehicle's supply either, we just hooked it up to the shop air line.

• Like 1

06da7361fef5c2d045614928298df40a.jpg

68620b48592cc7155fefa43fc0982671.jpg

a06851c77e3ee9587e321f4bbff8ebae.jpg

Pix

Isn't the tracked hovercraft still extant but looking unloved at Peterborough, visible from the ECML?

As featured in:

attachicon.gifapt_1.jpg

British Rail's first 200 miles an hour gas turbine train:

attachicon.gifapt_2.jpg

Good luck with that.

Wow that took be back a few years, I had a copy of that book when I was a lot youinger, real blast from the past. :O

I still have my copy...

Edited by DavidBird

• 3 weeks later...