The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi All,

After a time away from the forum, its nice to see that plenty of chat is still being generated about the E train model.

Once I get my 3d printer sorted, I think I may have a crack at a POP train, god help me!!

Paul

APT-E Conservation & Support Group

• Like 1

All this talk of the model coming out I realised I hadn't received a confirmation of my deposit and order as placed at Warley so just rang Locomotion they have the order so all's good.

Delivery is expected around October November, you can pay the balance at any time from the website bu they said there is no reason to pay just yet you just need to pay the balance before the models are dispatched

I do hope we get informed before they decide to take the funds from our accounts - the way my own finances work mean I will have to transfer the appropriate funds into my current account... they will be dissapointed if they simply just try to take the balance lol  :scratchhead:

The locomotion site is listing the balance payments as products in the shop, so I guess the emphasis is on the customer to pay the balance as and when they can prior to the model arriving or being dispatched.

sorry, just repeating what longrail said, after reading his post properly...

Edited by b33fy

All this talk of the model coming out I realised I hadn't received a confirmation of my deposit and order as placed at Warley so just rang Locomotion they have the order so all's good.

Delivery is expected around October November, you can pay the balance at any time from the website bu they said there is no reason to pay just yet you just need to pay the balance before the models are dispatched

Perfect for me, I have funds in September to cover the cost of my order, not as easy before that!

• 2 weeks later...

Its not my modeling era either, but when the my newest incarnation of Rothley Station is built, when I have moved house,,,,, O my Life! There will be a new Main Line with 4th rad curves running high above poss with a through station with a central high speed passing line. Just to showcase the wonderfull concept of the Rapido APT E Wow. Cant wait. Damn Slow Conveyancers. If anyone is interested in my first Rothley attempt, unfinshed due to house move imminant, its on you tube search MY WAY I DID IT , and ROTHLEY CAMTASIA PLUS1. Its there if you search, i will find its link in a min and pist it underneath

Its not my modeling era either, but when my newest incarnation of Rothley Station is built, when I have moved house,,,,, O my Life! There will be a new Main Line with 4th rad curves running high above poss with a through station with a central high speed passing line. Just to showcase the wonderfull concept of the Rapido APT E Wow. Cant wait. Damn Slow Conveyancers. If anyone is interested in my first Rothley attempt, unfinshed due to house move, its on you tube I will find its link in a min and post it next

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBara0YMoSs

Its my first real video upload so be gentle with me !

Also the opening pic / still is my first train set and the next pic is me and big sis in about 1974 when it all started. Pink shirted kids, flower wallpaper those where the days. I hope someone enjoys it. The concept was maximum railway in a 9ft x 4ft space with trains able to run into station from both up and down lines and also to have it over 3 levels.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the forums! This layout looks rather fun - and I think with your final caption "layout still to be finished" you will fit in well here.

There is a special area of the forums for peoples's layouts. If you start a topic here for your own layout, you will probably get more readers and viewers. I think a lot of members will like the layout, and your video as well.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why Uffington? Which way and from what locations was the record breaker run?

Uffington was the site of an old GWR station and had four tracks at that point, as well as nice, clear road access. That meant we could get the vital fuel tanker there to keep us topped up as well as our mini-buses and other vehicles, plus we had clear space either side of the train for any required work. The site is still pretty much as it was, except the access is blocked by hefty gates and padlocks etc. I had hoped to organise a small reunion there today for those of us on the test team but Network Rail didn't want to know so I had to give that idea up.  :rtfm:

All the high speed runs were to the east from Uffington, and usually ended just past Goring Station. Our occupation ended just east of the bridge over the Thames and we had to stop by then.

Now then Mr Tilt. Was the testing on the WR carried out to Swindon regularly? Or was it just an opportunity to have a photo shoot with the prototype HST there? :sungum:

No, it was all done in a three week period in July - August 1975 leading up to the record run on August 10th.

We went down to Old Oak Common, where we were going to be based for the WR runs, on July 21st, and then ran to Swindon and back a few times on the Thursdays or Fridays of each week at 'normal' speeds. Then on the Sundays we had full occupation of the main line from midnight to noon for the high speed runs. 'Normal' meant up to 125 mph as the HST was cleared for that on the same route anyway.

The 252 set was in service running from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads (or maybe Weston-super-Mare, I'm not sure) during that period and was also based at Old Oak Common, quite often parked in the carriage shed right alongside us as well! The CM&EE's Dept. at Derby weren't that keen that we were photographed alongside their 'wonder machine' at the time but as they were running a timetabled service we always knew where they were going to be anyway.  :no:

That photo on the cover of Modern Railways was the result of us being a 'little late due to a turbine problem' (yeah, right....) and so we were still waiting at Swindon when the HST arrived. (Oh dear, what a pity, we'll be able to take photos of them both after all...... :no: )

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Has a release date been announced yet, I can't wait!

Not yet.

Explanation of what is happening can be found in the latest UK newsletter from Rapido:

http://rapidotrains.com/rapidonewsuk04.html

If you are interested in Rapido's UK products then you really should sign up for the newsletter which can be done from the main page of their website:

http://rapidotrains.com/index.html

Reference the internals for the APT-E's instrumentation car, does anybody know what computers and computer tape decks the test equipment uses? They are unusual in that the tape reels sit one over the other which might imply a DEC or HP computer tape deck. Any photos? Does anybody know if they are currently present in the APT-E at Shildon?

attachicon.gifAPT-E Tape Deck.jpg

Most of the instrumentation is still aboard TC2, the tape decks and UV recorders are the originals, as is the REDCOR computer on the far right hand end of the console. The instrumentation DC amplifiers are not the originals but they are of the correct vintage and do work if provided with the correct power and input signals.

That odd double decker tape deck is a Sangamo-Western item and we had two of them, as well as some more conventional units sometimes.

The current state of TC's internals is mainly down to the work of two guys, Barrie May and Malcolm Wilson, both of whom worked on the E-Train project during the 70s and have worked tirelessly in  getting hold of some of the bits in there and re-building the rack. They persuaded Bombardier to part with the amplifiers on the grounds that the Support Group needed them for the train and Bombardier didn't!  :yes:

On the far right is a Teletype AR33 that we used to talk to the REDCOR and the original had been WELL trashed, so Barrie and Malcolm got in touch with the Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park and they lent us one on a very long term basis.  :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has a release date been announced yet, I can't wait!

From Locomotion's website.

Rapido have advised the model has been slightly delayed and should be here in December to January.

So it'll be either a Christmas or Birthday present to self whichever month it arrives in............

Cheers,

Mick

From Locomotion's website.

Rapido have advised the model has been slightly delayed and should be here in December to January.

So it'll be either a Christmas or Birthday present to self whichever month it arrives in............

Cheers,

Mick

From Jason's post ("Lack of updates") the APT-E is undergoing final tooling revisions and should be in production when Warley comes around, with operating production samples at Warley.

So December to January seems possible.