The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Thank you David there are some excellent shots here of the early days with the 3-car set. I especially like the semaphore signals in the first sequence.

Can someone can tell us, what is the flap hanging down on the trailing PC in the first sequence in this video?

- Richard.

attachicon.gif pc flap.jpg

That flap covered the 440 V 3 Ph ground power socket on the Power Cars. When we were parked at the RTC or Old Dalby we connected the train to a ground power supply so we didn't have to run the APU all the time the train was static. The flap was always the last hatch we closed before starting the APU and almost inevitably people just banged it shut without ensuring it was properly latched, and you can see it open on quite a few period pics.

It would have been out of gauge if we'd been tilted over to 9 deg. but at that crawling pace there was zero chance of that happening!

The sequence in the video must be what Mr_Tilt, was referring to here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96275-the-latest-apt-e-samples-have-arrived/?p=1872891

For your R2 curves, apply Rule 1 and say that's just what happened....

Exactly right, that was taken on Syston North Curve fairly early in the test programme as you can see the train is in 3-car form, and it's running VERY slowly indeed, just about walking pace. At that time we hadn't got the Yaw Relaxation LInkage and Dampers set up properly and we had to ensure the Steering Beam, mounted over the top of the E1T articulated bogies, didn't move sideways too much and send the Trailer Car out of gauge. Later on it wasn't a problem and we could take the curve at a dizzy 25 mph!

Edited by Mr_Tilt

I have just spent a happy 1/2hr looking at the glossy book that comes with the set. It is a fascinating read and some of the pictures are really interesting in the detail they show.

Mr Tilt - I love the hairstyle on page 19

• Like 1

I have just spent a happy 1/2hr looking at the glossy book that comes with the set. It is a fascinating read and some of the pictures are really interesting in the detail they show.

Mr Tilt - I love the hairstyle on page 19

Yeah, that was a LONG time ago!  :D

For many years my Mum (who was 102 last week!   :O ) had an original page with that pic framed on her wall!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Outrage - I've just read the 'Read this first' booklet and it tells me that not only can I not run it round radius one curves, but worse, I can't use my H&M clipper to try it out!

Jon

Yup, its an Advanced Passenger Train, so you need a advanced controller.

• Like 4

Bit miffed really that folks who did not originally pre-order have received APT-Es already after successfully phoning up and picking up cancellations etc

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to say how lucky I am and how good Locomotion are. I promise I won't be opening it until next Tuesday though!

Cheers, Gary

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, just wanted to show lucky I am and how good Locomotion are. I promise I won't be opening it until next Tuesday though.

Cheers, Gary

Sorry Gary I didn't frame my post too well did I? not miffed with you at all :)

• RMweb Gold

On this rather infamous pic that I've posted before you can see the ground power cable in the left foregreund actually plugged into the open hatch mentioned above.

AHELHA.jpg

Look's to me like you all were receiving power shock at the time of the photo, judging by the hair

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, I need to let our good inwards at work know to expect the parcel and what courier will be delivering it. I've left a couple of messages with Sandra now but have not heard anything.

Bit miffed really that folks who did not originally pre-order have received APT-Es already after successfully phoning up and picking up cancellations etc

My second order came today with the card transaction slip from last April stapled onto a copy of the purchase order. If we suppose this attachment happened at the time of ordering, and the orders went into a series of lever arch files, we're looking at a first in / last out process. So I might see my first order (a few days after the initial announcement) in the next week or two.

I realise, Andy Y still got his straight away.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

.  .  .

Exactly right, that was taken on Syston North Curve fairly early in the test programme as you can see the train is in 3-car form, and it's running VERY slowly indeed, just about walking pace. At that time we hadn't got the Yaw Relaxation LInkage and Dampers set up properly and we had to ensure the Steering Beam, mounted over the top of the E1T articulated bogies, didn't move sideways too much and send the Trailer Car out of gauge. Later on it wasn't a problem and we could take the curve at a dizzy 25 mph!

If you assemble the model in 3-car form, dare I suggest you can safely pick up the train in one go, without disconnecting as mandated in the "Do not pass Go" booklet? Would save a lot of wear on couplings on smaller layouts.

- Richard.

Wonder if someone will do the APT pic as a transfer to put on the white painted headrest covers on the seats, cant wait for my two to arrive, hopefully wont be long, one dcc, and one dcc sound, I think my 2 boxer dogs will also start tilting from side to side when they hear the sounds.

post-3546-0-14462200-1459285132_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Took my parents for a run out to Shildon today. Collected my APT, thanks Sandra. My parents really enjoyed Locomotion, thanks to all the staff there for making us welcome and for lending us a wheelchair so my mum could look round the museum. On the way home visited where I was born, just down the road from Shildon.

Back home mother must have been dreaming about riding on the tilting APT, got her home and she tilted off her chair onto the floor.

• Like 1

Mine had a slight scratch on PC1s yellow panel below the wipers rather than send it back I thought I would try a match. If anyone else has this sort of problem Railmatch 2304 warning panel yellow pre '84 is a perfect match, can't even see scratch anymore.

Wonder if someone will do the APT pic as a transfer to put on the white painted headrest covers on the seats, cant wait for my two to arrive, hopefully wont be long, one dcc, and 

I'm not sure if any commercial operation will do that, what with it being such a limited market. I've got the artwork on my laptop to print my own decals for them right now, but then I may have the only original TC1 antimacassar left on the planet! If anyone else wants to give it a go here's a scan of the actual thing. It's worth noting that there's a giant version of it printed in background on the box lid of the model too. 

[Later] For those of you who are mathematically challenged, scaling the drawing means the blue icon needs to be 2.142 mm in dia for your model..............  :D

4QvdhY.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

Will these figures be available as an add on pack ?     :jester:

If they do, then I hope they come pre-painted. Will save me having to source some tartan paint for Kit's trousers! :P

Incidentally, continuing the Dr Who theme, I believe that Whatley was used as the film set for Time and the Rani. Unfortunately this story didn't feature K9!

Edited by lyneux

I'm not sure if any commercial operation will do that, what with it being such a limited market. I've got the artwork on my laptop to print my own decals for them right now, but then I may have the only original TC1 antimacassar left on the planet! If anyone else wants to give it a go here's a scan of the actual thing. It's worth noting that there's a giant version of it printed in background on the box lid of the model too. 

[Later] For those of you who are mathematically challenged, scaling the drawing means the blue icon needs to be 2.142 mm in dia for your model..............  :D

4QvdhY.jpg

Railtec should give it a go if anyone asks them.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As mentioned, we did spot check some sets. Initially I was quite alarmed to find a few with 'faulty" headlight or taillight (never both oddly....), one with no sound and one with no motor function on TC2. After unplugging and re-plugging the connectors and making sure that ALL of the plugs are fully seated all of these "issues" were fixed.  :banghead:  Srihaggis' post is spot on - please make sure the connectors are fully engaged. They DO loosen up significantly after a few uses as the plastic edges polish themselves. Should that not sole the issue, please contact us as described in the manual and we will walk through the next steps.

Having said that, I'll start the next thread now....

"RAPIDO UNRESPONSIVE TO POSTS!"...  :nono:  ;)

Thomas and I are heading from York to Heathrow tomorrow morning, then home - Thomas to Toronto and myself to Connecticut via Newark. Due to the wonders of the Amtrak timetable I am STUCK in Newark until the following morning (please don't complain to me about UK train service!), so won't be home until mid-afternoon Wednesday, after which I plan on spending some time with my family who, amazingly, still seem to want to see me. As a result I will likely NOT be on-line and almost certainly not on RM Web until some time on Thursday. Hope that everybody plays nice while I'm gone.... 

It was great to be able to see and talk to so many of you at the York show (and the few who recognized me at Ally Pally). It was great to see such a positive response to the train, especially during the test runs on World's End. Thanks also to Kit "Mr. Tilt" for making the journey in to join us.

Hope to be back soon...

Bill

It was great to meet you and talk - the passion really shone through. I got mine #400 last Thursday and had it out of the box today - following the instructions it is so easy to put together and all was working just fine. I am one very happy chappy - roll on the HST now!

Rapido APT sound cost £325 now on eBay with bids that pushed it up to £586 with 4 days to go...a valuable item indeed.

I can seriously see this going for at least 4 figures

It`s the only one on ebay so he`s really nailed it on exclusivity

Although like somebody else on here he could of just sold it to a rmweb member but perhaps he`s not a member on here

He`s still not going to make a massive profit at the moment though as by the time all the fee`s have been deducted it`s looking like about £140 above the £325 originally paid

Edited by tgvfan