The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

RAILWAY THURSDAY AND THE APT-E

This weeks Railway Thursday at Gas Cupboard Models (tomorrow 31 March), Kit Spackman aka ‘Mr Tilt’ will be returning to regale us with tales from the APT-E project. If you missed him last time, make sure you come this time. If you saw him last time, I’m sure you’ll be back for more.

Kit will have his newly released APT-E model on show as well

I must also say a big thank you to my wife, Rachel who has allowed me to attend Thursday evening even though it is our 24th Wedding Anniversary X.

6.30 for 7pm start as usual. 

• Like 3

Maybe it's just me being a miserable old sod, but I've got nothing but contempt for these people who are selling them on ebay immediately they got them.  Pure greed, wishy washy excuses that "my circumstances have changed" don't wash with me.  This is pure profiteering. Especially when locomotion are essentially a charity.  Unlesss of course these benevolent ebay souls whose "circumstances have changed" are planning on just recouping their outlay and then donating the profits to the NRM?  Come the revolution, up against the wall and all that. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it's just me being a miserable old sod, but I've got nothing but contempt for these people who are selling them on ebay immediately they got them.  Pure greed, wishy washy excuses that "my circumstances have changed" don't wash with me.  This is pure profiteering. Especially when locomotion are essentially a charity.  Unlesss of course these benevolent ebay souls whose "circumstances have changed" are planning on just recouping their outlay and then donating the profits to the NRM?  Come the revolution, up against the wall and all that. 

The NRM have had their whack - so surely, what follows is straightforward speculative investment, which looks like succeeding?

- Richard.

If they sell on ebay at a higher price than from NRM, surely NRM are not charging a realistic market price. Therefore, as NRM is a charity, then everyone who has bought from them should donate to them the difference between what they paid and the ebay price. :scratchhead:

Edited by raymw

• RMweb Premium

If they sell on ebay at a higher price than from NRM, surely NRM are not charging a realistic market price. Therefore, as NRM is a charity, then everyone who has bought from them should donate to them the difference between what they paid and the ebay price. :scratchhead:

The way I see it, the NRM charged the price for one market - the price everyone paid if they ordered in advance and put down a deposit.

This first market has closed, to be replaced by the first stage of the secondary market. The next stages will be "test run", "run in", "weathered" and so on to eventually become "for spares".

If the model is in high demand, a fixed-price classified ad in a magazine will probably bring a better return than going via eBay and Paypal and their fees ...

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Sandra is working her way through all the orders plus she has end of year stocktake to contend with this week. She's trying to send out a mix of DCC ready and DCC Sound versions but those who have ordered additional trailer cars may see their delivery a little later due to the issue of wrapping trailers cars and the main unit.

It's a case of being patient as she's working through them as fast as is practicable.

As long as Sandra, doesn't get too carried away and post herself rather than the APT's... :D

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Why?

Once someone has bought the APT-E it is theirs to do with as they please. If that happens to be selling it for a profit then so be it.

You and I might not like it but thats the way of the world. In fact it was originally suggested with the Revolution Trains N gauge Pendolino that people might like to buy two and sell one on eBay for a profit.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Right, I'll put my fivepenneyworth in.

My mate Mike brought mine over from Shildon yesterday evening. His eldest had a do at Manchester University today, so they were coming anyway. A footnote to Sandra, I'm the mate Mike was buying the second one for, not Mr Speculate!!!!

Great package, good packing etc, etc. I assembled the beast according to the instructions. PC2 was dead! Gasp!!! Mine is analogue only, I make my own sound in my head!!!

PC1 operated on its own and all the lights worked. Took PC2 apart. Well done Rapido, the exploded diagram is very clear  and dismantling it is not the highly stressful experience that other models have been!

I determined that the motor worked, it just wasn't getting power. At that point I decided it was getting very late so a pot of tea and bed was the way to go.

This morning Mike and his youngest, James arrived and we decided if we could sort it out.

Couldn't get PC2 to work alone but then Mike said, lets run it as a three car unit.

Success!!!!!

Reassembled the four car unit or rather James reassembled the four car unit, success again! He has the knack of putting this unit together!!!

The moral of this tale is, persevere with the couplings. The book also stresses this and they are right. I have no idea what James did different but it worked!!

Also, be aware that unless the couplings are correct, the tilting mech will be stiff and the bogie will not go round corners. Again a bit of tweeking and mine is perfect.

The beast runs perfectly through Peco points from short to long radius, at the appropriate speed!! and is happy through their double slip.

I am well chuffed. Well worth the money spent and when can I order my HSTP please!

She now sits centre road in Manchester Oldham road on charge whilst the crew gets a pot of tea, then it is back to running in.

Chris.

• Like 2

Although the eBay APT's look like they will make significantly more than the original purchase price does that mean I think Locomotion models should have charged more, no I don't, had they charged more then I wouldn't have been able to buy my DCC ready one and I'm sure I'm not the only person to think like me, I won't sell mine but if others choose to sell there's then that's a free market,,,locomotion models would have charged what they thought was a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably the build-to-order nature of the APT-E should quell the worst of eBay excesses. Most of the people who want one have had ample opportunity to order one at a more than reasonable price.

If some Johnny-come-lately wants to pay a grand for one...

he can have mine

Finally Wednesday is here and ive finally finished work and hope my dads picked it up from Shildon, ear defenders at the ready as Bill warned at York!

Cant wait to get home, feels like christmas..

Edited by jessy1692

Finally Wednesday is here and ive finally finished work and hope my dads picked it up from Shildon, ear defenders at the ready as Bill warned at York!

Cant wait to get home, feels like christmas..

I'm hoping to drive from Glasgow to Shildon on Saturday to pick up my DCC ready one, did you have to make any arrangements for pick up or did you just turn up?

I'm hoping to drive from Glasgow to Shildon on Saturday to pick up my DCC ready one, did you have to make any arrangements for pick up or did you just turn up?

We rang Sandra last week to check when was best to head over, so id say give them a quick call to confirm so they can get your order ready to pick up. Im guessing you wont have to wait too long, it was just with York exhibition being last weekend Sandra asked if we were ok to hang on till this week.

Very inpressed with it, just reading the books before assembling it for a test run!

Right, I'll put my fivepenneyworth in.

My mate Mike brought mine over from Shildon yesterday evening. His eldest had a do at Manchester University today, so they were coming anyway. A footnote to Sandra, I'm the mate Mike was buying the second one for, not Mr Speculate!!!!

Great package, good packing etc, etc. I assembled the beast according to the instructions. PC2 was dead! Gasp!!! Mine is analogue only, I make my own sound in my head!!!

PC1 operated on its own and all the lights worked. Took PC2 apart. Well done Rapido, the exploded diagram is very clear  and dismantling it is not the highly stressful experience that other models have been!

I determined that the motor worked, it just wasn't getting power. At that point I decided it was getting very late so a pot of tea and bed was the way to go.

This morning Mike and his youngest, James arrived and we decided if we could sort it out.

Couldn't get PC2 to work alone but then Mike said, lets run it as a three car unit.

Success!!!!!

Reassembled the four car unit or rather James reassembled the four car unit, success again! He has the knack of putting this unit together!!!

The moral of this tale is, persevere with the couplings. The book also stresses this and they are right. I have no idea what James did different but it worked!!

Also, be aware that unless the couplings are correct, the tilting mech will be stiff and the bogie will not go round corners. Again a bit of tweeking and mine is perfect.

The beast runs perfectly through Peco points from short to long radius, at the appropriate speed!! and is happy through their double slip.

I am well chuffed. Well worth the money spent and when can I order my HSTP please!

She now sits centre road in Manchester Oldham road on charge whilst the crew gets a pot of tea, then it is back to running in.

Chris.

PC1 will run on its own PC2 need to be attach to PC1 to work on its own or though the coaches its wired like this so only one DCC chip is need

Here's a techie question for 'those who know' such things.

The manual says it's not a good idea to run a DCC E-Train model on DC as it may damage things. If you remove the decoder from its socket in PC1 will the train then run OK on DC, or will it need some sort of a jumper to replace the decoder?

[bit of a change for me to be asking questions instead of answering them.  :D ]

• RMweb Premium

Here's a techie question for 'those who know' such things.

The manual says it's not a good idea to run a DCC E-Train model on DC as it may damage things. If you remove the decoder from its socket in PC1 will the train then run OK on DC, or will it need some sort of a jumper to replace the decoder?

[bit of a change for me to be asking questions instead of answering them.  :D ]

Normally the socket needs a blanking plate/plug to make the connections between motor and track, so I wouldn't expect the model to work without either a DCC decoder or a blanking plug.

Presumably the build-to-order nature of the APT-E should quell the worst of eBay excesses. Most of the people who want one have had ample opportunity to order one at a more than reasonable price.

If some Johnny-come-lately wants to pay a grand for one...

he can have mine

And mine, I'll even throw in an extra coach.. :) Edited by b33fy

• RMweb Premium

Number 3 just landed on eBay

Look at the photos with the eBay listing - the seller placed the order on 12th March, and paid for it yesterday.

Edit: the seller's claim "This limited edition model was produced strictly to order, and has completely sold out to pre-orders" seems a bit ripe.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

• RMweb Premium

Well I received mine today, as per instructions I read the booklet before opening. The box and packaging are superb. Haven't had the vehicles out yet but they look stunning. The accompanying book on the history and development of the APT-E is excellent.

OK can anyone recommend a storage box that will accommodate the fully assembled train without having to take it apart each time? It's going to have to be court feet long.