The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Following on from the above I have had a problem in resetting the decoder address and subsequent loss of red lights on unit PC-2.  With the whole train on the programming track using a Hornby Elite I first attempted to read the existing address but it was unreadable.  This is my normal procedure when buying a new loco or checking a decoder prior to installation.  I then reprogrammed the APT-E to 153 and put it back on the main line with a Lenz 100 system.  It responded to the new number but unfortunately the red lights on PC-2 did not work.  I returned it to the programming track but this time with only PC-1 and an intermediate bogie on the track and did a factory reset.  I returned it to the main line, it responded to decoder address no.3 and the red lights on PC-2 worked correctly.  I then returned it to the programming track with only PC-1 and the first intermediate bogie on the track and reset the address to 153.  On returning it to the mainline it worked perfectly on address 153 with red lights on PC-2.

This is not the first time I have problems programming multiple units with the Elite however I do not know what difference it makes to programming by having the whole train on the track or by having just PC-1 and one bogie.  It may just be an Elite problem but it may help others similarly affected.

With reference to the to the last paragraph , I suspect that extra load draw by the lighting in both of the trailer coaches may affect the programing. Call this an educated guess

As for the trailer coaches getting warm, I would think it is the control circuit for the coach lighting, whether that is resistors or electronic current limiting & then there's Josons blinking blinking lights.

My apt-e (deposit in Jan & final payment April last year) hasn't arrived yet but it has got to travel an extra 16,355Km to get to me.

John

PS the one I ordered tomorrow got here yesterday , How's that for service

• Like 1

Following on from the above I have had a problem in resetting the decoder address and subsequent loss of red lights on unit PC-2.  With the whole train on the programming track using a Hornby Elite I first attempted to read the existing address but it was unreadable.  This is my normal procedure when buying a new loco or checking a decoder prior to installation.  I then reprogrammed the APT-E to 153 and put it back on the main line with a Lenz 100 system.  It responded to the new number but unfortunately the red lights on PC-2 did not work.  I returned it to the programming track but this time with only PC-1 and an intermediate bogie on the track and did a factory reset.  I returned it to the main line, it responded to decoder address no.3 and the red lights on PC-2 worked correctly.  I then returned it to the programming track with only PC-1 and the first intermediate bogie on the track and reset the address to 153.  On returning it to the mainline it worked perfectly on address 153 with red lights on PC-2.

This is not the first time I have problems programming multiple units with the Elite however I do not know what difference it makes to programming by having the whole train on the track or by having just PC-1 and one bogie.  It may just be an Elite problem but it may help others similarly affected.

Too much power consumption for the programming unit.  We've run into this issue with Broadway Limited locomotive (and other sound locomotives).  You might need an additional power booster for your programming track.  Check with your DCC maker.

If you cannot read the CVs, then my recommendation is not to proceed further. With the APT-E fully connected, a chunk of the power goes straight through the uncontrolled lighting system, which the rather weak Hornby units tend not to cope with. Ideally, you want nothing else consuming power when doing programming.

Try PC1 alone and see if you can read the CVs. If fine, then try an address change and see if lighting issues still occur. If you still cannot read them, maybe PC1 and PC2 alone connected togethor and try to read the CVs once more.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

So you can hear her still? start another of the 10 turbines, at some point they'll drown out the background noise!

When I started mine up for the first time I am sure I could hear someone say something about turning something down :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

When I started mine up for the first time I am sure I could hear someone say something about turning something down :locomotive:

Is that what F16 does? Tell you to shut that thing up!

Edited by Vistiaen

Is anybody else still awaiting their APT that hasn't paid the balance yet?

I contacted Locomotion last week but still havn't recieved a reply. Begining to get worried.

Sorry, I don't understand why anyone would expect to receive their model if they hadn't paid the balance. Do you mean you don't know how to pay your balance?

• Like 1

Ok i know the ATP-E was a prototype and never went into proper revenue service but if I want my APT-E to operate on my layout as such would it be possible to replace the instrument trailing car with a standard trailing car and it would it possible to add a further trailing car to the train, effectivly creating three seated trailing cars and power car on each end set.

Edited by Abadacus Zokonta

Ok i know the ATP-E was a prototype and never went into proper revenue service but if I want my APT-E to operate on my layout as such would it be possible to replace the instrument trailing car with a standard trailing car and it would it possible to add a further trailing car to the train, effectivly creating three seated trailing cars and power car on each end set.

It never went into ANY revenue service, proper or not, and only a very few non-BR people ever travelled on it, the Minister of Transport being one of them.

The extra Trailer Cars that Rapido made and Locomotion sold are all TC1 mouldings but without the TC1 decals, but you get a sheet of decals to cover TC3 - TC25 with each one.  :D

They're designed to do just what you mentioned, or to add to the existing TC1-TC2 mix. The internals wouldn't look quite right for a theoretical all passenger APT-E as only half of TC1 has seats, the other half is a utility area that we used for spares and tools etc. plus it has a socking great tilt pack sticking up above the floor!  :O

If you're looking through the windows at the main instrumentation console, the Tilt Control seat is the single one with a table facing along the train just before the open door with the sandwich door stop. The Tilt Control console is the silver box on the wall behind the table.

Here it is in the real thing at Shildon.

WDWt8I.jpg

This is me sitting at it wondering why TC2 Tilt Pack won't start. The fact that it was taken at Shildon 2-3 years ago may have something to do with it.  :D

jEGHg7.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 17

Also any thoughts on where to get some crew to fill the coaches and cab

There are steps in place for doing just that, Paul Leadley, the leader of the APT-E Support and Conservation Group, is doing some 3D printed figures and other detail stuff, including me...........  :O

But the 1970s version me with big hair, flared trousers and a lot thinner. I've suggested that figures of Barrie May and Malc Wilson, the computer and instrumentation engineers would be good, together with Hugh Williams, the train supervisor and maybe Alan Goodley, the turbine engineer, would make good figures too.

You can add normal Presier passengers in the VIP seats in TC1 right away as we took volunteers from the Tech Centre to ride in there.

There may be some decals for the antimacassers on the sat backs of the TC1 seats before much longer too. 

• Like 3

thanks for the info Kit, I have been having a look nd found basic passengers but no specifics also I looked at getting a loco driver to put in each end but the best I can find is the DB drivers by Prieser, any suggestions as I saw the video showing of the cab and he was looking very smart, probably for the cameras right?. In the video it shows PC1 and PC2 with a coach in the middle I am guessing that would be TC2 

It would be nice if we could get all the crew back on the e as a big reunion and maybe do a few 3d scans while your at it

It would be nice if we could get all the crew back on the e as a big reunion and maybe do a few 3d scans while your at it

• RMweb Premium

Would there have been any "Men from the Ministry"? I picture a set of 6: dark suit, bowler hat, briefcase on knees and umbrella straight up between legs, and uncomfortable look on face.

• Like 1