The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

thanks for the info Kit, I have been having a look nd found basic passengers but no specifics also I looked at getting a loco driver to put in each end but the best I can find is the DB drivers by Prieser, any suggestions as I saw the video showing of the cab and he was looking very smart, probably for the cameras right?. In the video it shows PC1 and PC2 with a coach in the middle I am guessing that would be TC2 

Yes, when we did the early test runs on the Test Track and the MML in late 1973 we only had TC2 in the consist, TC1 was in the APD Lab undergoing an extensive series of vibration tests. It would have been impossible to run both Power Cars on their own without TC2 there as the control systems went through TC2, and many systems were controlled from TC2 itself.

Are any of the drivers still around? If so it would be great to hear from them.

That's a good question Colin, and I don't know the answer. Sadly I suspect not as the drivers were quite a bit older than those of us in my area of the project and I'm 73 now! We had a re-union of many of the project members at Shildon in August 2011 which was excellent, but none of the running crew were there unfortunately. We had quite some difficulty in contacting many of the people involved, the industry itself having been fragmented over the years.

There's some excellent coverage of the event with many photos on the APT-E web page at http://www.apt-e.org/workdays/reunion2011/reunion2011.htm

It would be nice if we could get all the crew back on the e as a big reunion and maybe do a few 3d scans while your at it

The problem with that is none of us look like how we did back then, it was 40 years ago of course.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Sorry, I don't understand why anyone would expect to receive their model if they hadn't paid the balance. Do you mean you don't know how to pay your balance?

That would be nice, but no, i mean I havn't been asked to pay the balance yet.

So I'm wondering if my order may have gone lost or something.

• RMweb Gold

Would there have been any "Men from the Ministry"? I picture a set of 6: dark suit, bowler hat, briefcase on knees and umbrella straight up between legs, and uncomfortable look on face.

If someone is going to make people like this I fancy a set of 250 (or more), for use as commuters on my BR(S) EMUs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That would be nice, but no, i mean I havn't been asked to pay the balance yet.

So I'm wondering if my order may have gone lost or something.

I think you are supposed to do it yourself (rather than wait to be asked) - there are links to do it on the front page of Locomotion's website!

Edited by red death

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone with a DC model is interested, DC Kits are now advertising the Legomanbiffo sound chips for sale:

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/legomanbiffo_diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds/prototype_apte_advanced_passenger_train_legomanbiffo_.php

Not for me. I have a sound one already (smug smile....)

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

That's a good question Colin, and I don't know the answer. Sadly I suspect not as the drivers were quite a bit older than those of us in my area of the project and I'm 73 now! We had a re-union of many of the project members at Shildon in August 2011 which was excellent, but none of the running crew were there unfortunately. We had quite some difficulty in contacting many of the people involved, the industry itself having been fragmented over the years.

There's some excellent coverage of the event with many photos on the APT-E web page at http://www.apt-e.org/workdays/reunion2011/reunion2011.htm

The problem with that is none of us look like how we did back then, it was 40 years ago of course.  :D

We could of course model the team members as they appear "in preservation"   :jester:

Here are two pictures of Irish J15  No 186 taken in the 1960s and in 2010, both with yours truly included.  The loco looks as good as new in both pictures. 

post-158-0-20819800-1460650257.jpg

post-158-0-16122000-1460650191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 3

The APT-E continues it's world tour. It arrived in Chicago yesterday...

There was a high pucker factor when first assembling and despite what the manual said about not using force I had to use what felt like a fair bit of force to make the connections the first time. The second time was much easier and it went together like a charm.

I have to say I love the model and the F16 easter egg it a real treat! Now, if only I had more than 8 feet to run it on!

post-2744-0-38515800-1460649909_thumb.jpg

post-2744-0-99910600-1460649944_thumb.jpg

post-2744-0-39177100-1460649957_thumb.jpg

post-2744-0-59263900-1460649975_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I model mostly US protoytype and I use an NMRA gauge to check that my wheels are in gauge, this gives an indirect BTB measurement .

attachicon.gifnmra.jpg

I have found older peco points were made to a coarser scale standard (probably so that old Triang wheels would run through the points)

These points can cause derailments on NMRA standard rolling stock

Many moons ago I read that this could be fixed by shimming the catch rail.(I would credit the author if I could remember who it was)

Unmodified points can work OK most of the time but when they cause derailments I shim them with thin plastic strip (5 or 10 thou usually works)

You should be able to see the shim glued to catch rail on the running rail side

attachicon.gifpoint.jpg

In this exaggerated drawing of what happens with the red catch rail to far from the running rail, the flange goes to the wrong side of the pointy part of the frog an a derailment is inevitable

The wheels on the right hand side are held away from the frog by the green shim and the flange misses the frog and stays on track

attachicon.giffrog e.jpg

If the BTB is correct an it still derails then it may be the points.

John

Finally got round to doing this mod to one of the two sets of Peco points causing derailments this evening - problem solved. Will do the other set of points tomorrow hopefully, I found a 10 thou shim did the trick.

• RMweb Gold

I plucked up enough courage to unpack my one today, amazing model! had a bit of trouble with getting TC1 and TC2 connected but think that was down to me being too careful. I have a non sound version but still managed to get told by SWMBO that it's too loud - I guess it was a bad idea trying it on an oval in the living room while Eastenders was on (layout still packed away after moving house last year)

PS - can someone let me know what F16 does 

Edited by StuAllen

• RMweb Gold

In case anyone with a DC model is interested, DC Kits are now advertising the Legomanbiffo sound chips for sale:

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/legomanbiffo_diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds/prototype_apte_advanced_passenger_train_legomanbiffo_.php

Cheers

Rob

I need a sound decoder for a class 153 :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Would there have been any "Men from the Ministry"? I picture a set of 6: dark suit, bowler hat, briefcase on knees and umbrella straight up between legs, and uncomfortable look on face.

Plus John Cleese from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Cheers

Rob

DC Kits & Legomanbiffo as a joint venture have been doing Legomanbiffo & Locoman (Steam) projects for well over 5+ years, our website has been live with these for approx the same length of time, with a vast range (not every loco on BR) of Diesel, Electric, Gas Turbine & and increasing range of steam projects.

Charlie 

Post #166 has a U tube video with the crew and passengers / technicians in it! Drivers seem to be in standard dark blue with peaked caps, engineers seem to be "smart casual" however the beards and flares my be challenging... :)

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

It'd be nice if any models of the APT-E crew came in self-assembly form. I've always enjoyed a bit of Kit-building.....

• RMweb Gold

Post #166 has a U tube video with the crew and passengers / technicians in it! Drivers seem to be in standard dark blue with peaked caps, engineers seem to be "smart casual" however the beards and flares my be challenging... :)

static grass as hair and beards!

Edited by Vistiaen

I would appreciate some clarification from Jason/Bill

For my sins, my "first love" is my Hornby Dublo trains that I first received in 1950. I still play with these regularly but using 1955 A3 controllers, not the 1950 D1 Jason!!!!

I presume that the problems with the "old train set" controllers is that being either variable resistance or Variable transformer units the output is "un-smoothed"t. A 12 volt un-smoothed DC supply has a peak value of about 19 volts.

I, therefore,believe that the APT-E should only be operated from an electronic controller, where the 12 volt output should be 12 volt peak. I do not know what methods are used to vary the voltage by various manufacturers, but believe that the output voltage can be adjusted by directly varying the voltage level or by chopping a steady 12 output (pulse with modulation)

I have no idea which controllers use which method, or even if it makes any difference!!

The only electronic controllers that I possess are two 1970 kit built Codar units with simulation, which I suspect are variable output and hope will be suitable to run my APT-E - DCC ready when I get to a layout with sufficient clearance. I need to run the motor cars in on the rolling road first!!!

Best regards

Terry 

What? Pardon? Sorry? You'll need to speak up. Shout!! Ears still ringing. Love those computers. Initially PC-2 was dead but a tweak of the coupling cured it. Unfortunately the 10degree tilt is impossible on the last car as you need to tilt three cars to get the coupling to engage, so it has to be done flat and that is a little more tricky. Once you've got the feel for doing one successfully, the others are OK. Took me two and a half hours and an e-mail to Rapido to make the first coupling successfully, though. (CJL)

post-1062-0-10601600-1460730413_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ran mine yesterday for the first time on a friends layout. Joined all four coaches together no problem, everything working as it should, sound great. Exceptional model.

As I'm currently planning my own layout, can anyoune advise the smallest radius curves it can negotiate without the nose going outside the loading gauge and catching on platforms, other trains etc?

A challenge for Rapido, make a version with a nose which swivels on curves so it stays in the loading gauge!

Unfortunately the 10degree tilt is impossible on the last car as you need to tilt three cars to get the coupling to engage, so it has to be done flat and that is a little more tricky. 

Erm,how about leaving the ones already assembled flat and then tilting the LAST one to the required 10 deg???