The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

There's something about the designs of the 60s / 70s that sometimes holds - thinking APT-E, Concorde, E-Type, and even the set design for the Nostromo in the film 'Alien' that simply works.

I know that they were still being sold through to the mid seventies, but wasn't the E Type Jag really of the 1960's, think of Patrick McNee, Bond, Rolling Stones, Beetles, Twiggy, Mary Quant, Brigitte Bardot,  etc etc. I know the roots of the APT-E and HST are also rooted in that earlier era. 

Nevertheless, I do agree it was a golden age of British World class leading design from the UK. 

Edited by shreds

Do you mean P4?

Cheers,

Mick

Actually P4 is not broad gauge, its exactly 4' 8.5" scaled down.

In reality 00 is an incorrect narrow gauge for 4mm scale modelling. ~ compromise for 4mm scale to match the continental 3.5mm to the inch standard of H0. 

Put the two side by side and you will never look at 00 as being correct ever again with 4mm models. 

Well here we go! I managed to set up the test track again and decided to run the P-Train, Have to be honest I was rather surprised at how well P-Train ran considering she's never seen the light of day for over 15 years, and possibly the first time the entire unit has been back together.

I was a bit disappointed last week with the initial test of the power unit, but she proved me wrong,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6NMBUtEp0

Not to be outdone, Service use was out with the TC-1 1st Class fully seated coach and Disco coach,

I make no apologies for the loss of bowel control,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBoHexmNLTY

Rather fitting, P-Train smooth and quiet, E-Train loud diesel powered yobbo!!!

Edited by UP 4000

There's something about the designs of the 60s / 70s that sometimes holds - thinking APT-E, Concorde, E-Type, and even the set design for the Nostromo in the film 'Alien' that simply works.

Thats because they were styled to look nice, aerodynamics was a secondary consideration back then, now its all economy and wind tunnels with the designers tinkering around the edges but not allowed to alter the basic design.

Thats because they were styled to look nice, aerodynamics was a secondary consideration back then, now its all economy and wind tunnels with the designers tinkering around the edges but not allowed to alter the basic design.

I fancy Concorde had a very considerable aerodynamic (and aero heating) input. The droop snoot, and the curved delta wing were there for a reason. 

• RMweb Premium

Actually P4 is not broad gauge, its exactly 4' 8.5" scaled down.

In reality 00 is an incorrect narrow gauge for 4mm scale modelling. ~ compromise for 4mm scale to match the continental 3.5mm to the inch standard of H0. 

Put the two side by side and you will never look at 00 as being correct ever again with 4mm models. 

Maybe I should've put a :jester: on my original post........?

:locomotive:

Mick

Lovely to see the two running, very impressive, now for Hornby to re-issue that with upgraded motor etc, as I said in an earlier post, still looks good after all the intervening years, in my opinion. The Disco coach was masterful, well done, but I would just be happy with mine running Motor appears to have given up the ghost. Awaiting Locomotion and the experts to decide how to sort it out.

There may be some aspect of 60/70s being a lot to do with aesthetics but I think a lot is to do with crash structure now. That's why most modern cars are a lot heavier than their predecessors & look a lot more like tanks.

Lovely to see the two running, very impressive, now for Hornby to re-issue that with upgraded motor etc, as I said in an earlier post, still looks good after all the intervening years, in my opinion. The Disco coach was masterful, well done, but I would just be happy with mine running Motor appears to have given up the ghost. Awaiting Locomotion and the experts to decide how to sort it out.

I was very impressed with how P-Train ran, After testing the drive car last week pretty much had little or no hope it would do anything, but a small push and away she went, there was a good 1/2 hour of running before I took the video.

It is a bit erratic on startup, and does spin the wheels a bit then settles but there was no weight in the driving car, not sure if there is supposed to be one?

As for Disco coach, What on earth was I thinking!! Looks and sounds brilliant, but really?? Could you imagine it at an exhibition, Mass hysteria everywhere but it was just a good bit of fun. On the plus side keep the disco lights off and she can play Kit's talk all day long.

It must be quite an issue for it to affect the motor, I would have thought the decoders would have blew first, but with one being reversed the motor might have got direct power off the track and that's what caused it,

It will get sorted though I'm sure of it, just a bit longer to wait I'd be going crazy by now! Hang on - I already have   :crazy:

Hi Craig, I thought it was the decoder, so read the CVs and they appear to be sound. Emailed legoman as he had recently re-blown the sound, and his opinion was that the motor was duff. Still waiting to hear from Locomotion ( I have already returned TC2 as it was causing running lights to act erratically) and have ordered a new non-sound decoder to try in the machine, just in case it is a chip problem. Not too happy about dismantling the model, have noticed that the 'PC1' transfer is wearing off and don't want to handle the body too much. It's a great shame, as it is a fantastic model

Rod

It is a bit erratic on startup, and does spin the wheels a bit then settles but there was no weight in the driving car, not sure if there is supposed to be one?

There is not supposed to be any weight in them. Adding weight hampers the tilting mechanism. Hornby made the bogie frames from metal to help with adhesion, but it was a bit of a compromise, and they can be a little light on their feet. Changing the traction tyres may help.

There is not supposed to be any weight in them. Adding weight hampers the tilting mechanism. Hornby made the bogie frames from metal to help with adhesion, but it was a bit of a compromise, and they can be a little light on their feet. Changing the traction tyres may help.

Thanks, I'll try changing the tyres, Also will swap the decoder, I only put an old Bachmann decoder in for testing, I'll go for a ESU one may treat it to a loksound once she's had a bit more running and settled down a bit,

• RMweb Premium

BBC One show earlier this evening featuring our very own Mr Tilt.

Then later in the same piece, Brian Marshall (?) finally explaining to a national audience why it got a bad press on the initial run as the journos were busy in the bar the night before.

Cheers,

Mick

BBC One show earlier this evening featuring our very own Mr Tilt.

Then later in the same piece, Brian Marshall (?) finally explaining to a national audience why it got a bad press on the initial run as the journos were busy in the bar the night before.

Cheers,

Mick

Just watched it on iPlayer,good stuff, btw read an article in railways illustrated today called hst versus apt and apart from the usual talk of motion sickness it mentioned the danger of the two trains sticking in tilt mode then colliding when passing each other which I had never thought about before.

Hi Craig, I thought it was the decoder, so read the CVs and they appear to be sound. Emailed legoman as he had recently re-blown the sound, and his opinion was that the motor was duff. Still waiting to hear from Locomotion ( I have already returned TC2 as it was causing running lights to act erratically) and have ordered a new non-sound decoder to try in the machine, just in case it is a chip problem. Not too happy about dismantling the model, have noticed that the 'PC1' transfer is wearing off and don't want to handle the body too much. It's a great shame, as it is a fantastic model

Rod

Hi Rod,

Pretty much any of Ian's (legomanbiffo) decoders are bang on, dialled in sweet as a nut, from start. I have 6-7 of his decoders and never messed with the settings as every loco has ran perfect (except service use where I added a shunting function and lighting to suit,) If you've ordered another decoder, don't forget it won't operate the lights correctly, you need to map them for them to work, (check previous posts).

What was TC-2 doing for erratic light behaviour? was it's interior lighting or affecting the power cars driving lights? All lighting for TC-1 & 2 including the computer bank are a direct feed off the track and shouldn't affect the running behaviour of E-Train.

Have to say I've had no issues with the decals wearing and with service use these have been on and off like a yoyo! with all the testing.

• RMweb Premium

Just watched it on iPlayer,good stuff, btw read an article in railways illustrated today called hst versus apt and apart from the usual talk of motion sickness it mentioned the danger of the two trains sticking in tilt mode then colliding when passing each other which I had never thought about before.

I'm sure Mr Tilt will give the full details, but the APT bodyshell is so profiled that if it does fail to full tilt, then it shouldn't be out of gauge and IIRC, the APT-P had a different tilt arrangement in that if it did fail, it would self-centre.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Rod,

Pretty much any of Ian's (legomanbiffo) decoders are bang on, dialled in sweet as a nut, from start. I have 6-7 of his decoders and never messed with the settings as every loco has ran perfect (except service use where I added a shunting function and lighting to suit,) If you've ordered another decoder, don't forget it won't operate the lights correctly, you need to map them for them to work, (check previous posts).

What was TC-2 doing for erratic light behaviour? was it's interior lighting or affecting the power cars driving lights? All lighting for TC-1 & 2 including the computer bank are a direct feed off the track and shouldn't affect the running behaviour of E-Train.

Have to say I've had no issues with the decals wearing and with service use these have been on and off like a yoyo! with all the testing.

As I said, the decoder appears to be absolutely fine, but there is no power to the motor, or at least, the motor is not responding. Neither is the sound card. The TC was stopping the red tail light working, if I removed it from the train, all lights worked perfectly. It was Ian's surmise that the motor had blown, although I would have assumed that the sound card functions would be running, prior to the failure, the set went haywire, tearing round the track, out of control. I pulled the power, waited 10 minutes, restarted, and the same thing happened. Third time, nothing! So, I don't know what to do now, still waiting for assistance/advice from either Locomotion or Charlie Petty. If I don't hear today, I will have to ring one of them again. Thanks for your input, though, greatly appreciated

Rod

Edited by bulver

As I said, the decoder appears to be absolutely fine, but there is no power to the motor, or at least, the motor is not responding. Neither is the sound card. The TC was stopping the red tail light working, if I removed it from the train, all lights worked perfectly. It was Ian's surmise that the motor had blown, although I would have assumed that the sound card functions would be running, prior to the failure, the set went haywire, tearing round the track, out of control. I pulled the power, waited 10 minutes, restarted, and the same thing happened. Third time, nothing! So, I don't know what to do now, still waiting for assistance/advice from either Locomotion or Charlie Petty. If I don't hear today, I will have to ring one of them again. Thanks for your input, though, greatly appreciated

Rod

Update - received the 21 pin decoder this am (Soundtraxx in a Bachmann box!) and having fitted it, now have a running set. So, obviously, the decoder is faulty, and have emailed Bif to arrange replacement and return. Have mapped the forward running lights, now to sort the rear lights, will do as you suggested and look on the forum for advice

Rod

Doesn't it to some extent depends what was on your hands at the time?

Using a pair of lint free gloves helps avoid marking.

As it has been back to Locomotion, and Legomanbiffo, I would guess they would know how to handle the model. As for myself, I always wash hands prior to handling any locos, anyway, I would hazard a guess to say that the decal was faulty

• RMweb Gold

What was the name of the programme?