The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2019 at 13:23, RedgateModels said:

Yes, but it does not like reverse curves that much!

The daft thing is, sitting here reading this, I have had the light bulb moment to tell me why this is so. It cannot disable its tilt. This is why the short 3-car set runs so much better on my layout.

- Richard.

4 minutes ago, 47137 said:

The daft thing is, sitting here reading this, I have had the light bulb moment to tell me why this is so. It cannot disable its tilt. This is why the short 3-car set runs so much better on my layout.

- Richard.

That won't make any difference. The tilt system is actuated by the power car bogies so you've still got the same amount of 'tilt actuation' on the train in 3-car form as you have in 4-car form.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

That won't make any difference. The tilt system is actuated by the power car bogies so you've still got the same amount of 'tilt actuation' on the train in 3-car form as you have in 4-car form.

These modern light bulbs aren't very good.

Perhaps my perceived success is because a three-car set is on fewer different gradients, meaning level track + gradient rather than level track + gradient + level track. Whatever, thanks for the correction.

- Richard.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UP 4000 said:

EBay's a nightmare, I've just bought another APT-E for£454, non sound, that's three I now own when it arrives, at least another one saved and in good hands, the question is what to do with her?

Easy, add all the trailer cars to your already immense collection and make a REAL 'In Service' consist.

The Power Cars can go to be a diorama of the train's last run, but you'd need an 08 on the front, no nose cone on the rear one and an oil lamp hanging on a string right at the rear. :D

Oh yes, you'd also need to remove the joint module and have a model of me standing on the centre apron looking down at the steering beam and looking worried too. :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 6
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Haha like it Kit, At 8+2 and just short of 3 metres Service use is big enough, I could push it and add TC11 and Disco coach back on plus TC1 & 2 from Service use and TC 1 & 2 from the new one and I have 4 additional coaches sat on the shelf, 18+2 the turbines would be screaming then!

Joking aside first call of business is sorting coach lighting out, I'm not a fan of the bright lights and I have 2 spare function only decoders anyway so that's easy.

Next port of call will be to Charlie Petty and Biff (Legomanbiffo) for 2 sound decoders one in each end and some nice speakers

Finally for this one a bit of weathering / exhaust marks and few other tweaks so off to Simon's (SH Model Making) for that,

I'll try to keep everybody posted on my antics but don't expect too much, seems as though it's getting harder and harder to try to enjoy the hobby.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 02/02/2020 at 23:33, Mr_Tilt said:

Easy, add all the trailer cars to your already immense collection and make a REAL 'In Service' consist.

The Power Cars can go to be a diorama of the train's last run, but you'd need an 08 on the front, no nose cone on the rear one and an oil lamp hanging on a string right at the rear. :D

Oh yes, you'd also need to remove the joint module and have a model of me standing on the centre apron looking down at the steering beam and looking worried too. :D

It's nice to see you posting here again Kit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Mini update,

Number 3 arrived last week, due to work just got her checked out today, small run under DC was fine, Found a ESU Lokpilot (don't know why I have one!) but fitted it, configured the lighting for correct running (you just can't stick a standard decoder in and expect it to work, Tail lights run via AUX 1&2), And she's perfect, all O.K.

Have to say it all came back, over 2 years last dealing with an APT-E, she connected fine, no issues, once you've got the knack you don't forget.

Works going to get in the way but coach lighting will be next, Let's see what happens,

No picture of her as we all know what she looks like, For those that don't, About 4 foot long, silver, blue stripe down the side and a yellow nose.

NO! she is not CoCo the Clown!

Regards Craig.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, apt-e said:

Id like a second copy of the book (LOL) but cannot find one anywhere, any ideas all.

The Rapido website lists it, but says to check dealer, so I suspect you are going to have to keeping looking for a second hand copy (maybe put a search alert/ request into eBay/Abebooks)

https://rapidotrains.com/products/rapido-swag/apt-e-advanced-passenger-train-experimental-book

Might also be worth contacting Rapido to see if they will do another run of the book when they do the APT-E again, which they have recently indicated is likely

https://rapidotrains.com/contact-us

Edited by mdvle

Its another copy of our book Kit.  I dont like getting the one out of the box all the time, want to keep that one perfect.

So if you are reading this Master Jason,  could you get in contact with me, pretty please.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e