The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi Kit

Well reminded, but my photos do show a different layout for TC1 to the Rapido moulding which may well be from a scan of TC2 ( with which I cannot presently get up close and intimate enough to inspect its bottom).

This is probably  of no particular import to any other than me for my 7mm rendition which I might as well try to get right as  it will only be an assembly difference of small etched overlays.

Les

Hmmmm, if anything I'd have said that Rapido's version of TC1 would be likely to be more accurate as that's the end they scanned.

If their model is actually wrong it's down to me and Paul I'm afraid as we were the 'end stop' for the detail quality control of the CAD design. :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Kit

I don't think anything on the Rapido is 'wrong', just that I seem to have bumped into some 'differences' that are altogether very minor and for  practical purposes quite invisible. My three previous iterations of  7mm models have happily assumed the two TCs as externally identical and  only very recent worms eye inspection revealed  the above- somewhat to my surprise.

Les

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, I have installed railcom detection using digikeijs DR5088 on my layout and while it picks up that something is on my layout where my apt-e is it is not returning its ID and direction.  I am guessing this is because the decoder is Loksound 3.5? 

BTW I have APT-e no 0017

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got any tips for troubleshooting a dead power car? I haven’t run my APT-e since originally receiving it when it worked fine. I haven’t had space to build my layout after moving home causing the lack of running - I’ve finally made room and am at the planning stage so wanted to try the ATP-E through potential point work I had mocked up, but one of the power cars didn’t have power, I checked the connection with the coach and it seemed fine, so wasn’t sure what to try next. 

Try plugging the two Power Cars together to see if there's a basic connection between the decoder and the other motor.

And don't worry about it being an 'un-authentic consist' because we did exactly that to get both PCs across the main line at York in 2004.  :D

2 car APT-E.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...

Some advice needed

My powered trailer has developed a fault with the directional lighting - at first the red light wouldn't come on

so I did a chip reset and the white light works as should but the red light is always on.

I tried resetting the chip and using other reliable decoders but the problem remains

Any ideas please?

You've got your basic nomenclature wrong somewhere. 

The vehicles at the ends, the ones with points on, are power cars, and they're both motorised. The ones in the middle, with the windows, are trailer cars, so there's no such thing as a 'motorised trailer'. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

If you, of all of us, don't know by now......................... 🙂🙂

We all know I like to do things a little bit different,

1676031156_IntercityAPT-E.jpg.60be0d1aa7c5ed752574460b1c5783cf.jpg

Basic test, Lights and sound all work fine, hopefully a bit of running over the weekend.

And yes I know about the bogie between the power cars it's one of my spares, First time I've connected an APT-E together for quite a long time.

That looks rather splendid in the Inter-City scheme, such a pity we never got as far as a fleet of E-Trains.

What's wrong with the artic bogie? It's an E1T so it's what they would have used in that position anyway. Perhaps you meant the Joint Module?  Nothing wrong with it that a coat of paint wouldn't correct.

And you've actually re-produced the twin Power Car consist that Paul and I produced to get PC1 & 2 across the main line at York while we were moving the train to Shildon in 2004.  👍

• Like 3

On 16/04/2022 at 18:09, Mr_Tilt said:

That looks rather splendid in the Inter-City scheme, such a pity we never got as far as a fleet of E-Trains.

What's wrong with the artic bogie? It's an E1T so it's what they would have used in that position anyway. Perhaps you meant the Joint Module?  Nothing wrong with it that a coat of paint wouldn't correct.

And you've actually re-produced the twin Power Car consist that Paul and I produced to get PC1 & 2 across the main line at York while we were moving the train to Shildon in 2004.  👍

It is very fetching, even if an operational APT-E would've burned through the countries fuel reserves in about a week and given everyone tinnitus in the meantime. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scots region said:

It is very fetching, even if an operational APT-E would've burned through the countries fuel reserves in about a week and given everyone tinnitus in the meantime. 

And your problem is? ;)

On 16/04/2022 at 18:09, Mr_Tilt said:

Sorry Kit, yes module, I have a couple well three spares what I bought, one's propping up the Disco coach, the other is in storage and this one was in a cabinet.

It was easier to use it than remove one off the coaches.

Did get a bit of running over the weekend, just power cars though as things got cut short due to other arrangements and a nasty squeak coming from them so a bit of TLC is required.

Should be nothing major, got my APT-E out the shelf queen and sounded and ran perfect, been a long time she ran the rails.

Next time hopefully ran in and with a big rake in tow, and see if I can wake the slumbering giant APT-E Service Use.

IMG_0157.jpeg.1e9a6a76f53d9e999ea0cd46e973511e.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Much though I like the 'proper' E-Train scheme, that Inter-City version looks REALLY good! 

Now I'm wondering if I can raise the finance to get one, assuming there's any left of course.....

got to agree with you kit. I’m pondering getting hold of a cheap 1980’s apt-p to do it in Intercity blue/grey …..

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 21:05, Mr_Tilt said:

Much though I like the 'proper' E-Train scheme, that Inter-City version looks REALLY good! 

Now I'm wondering if I can raise the finance to get one, assuming there's any left of course.....

Well they have, and I've ordered one. GULP! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2