The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

We do need a new APT-P model, Rapido, to replace the Hornby toy.

Do agree, I mentioned before (post #3356), it's a shame Hornby just released the first hst 125 (40 year model), Should have been Rapido, Would have been nice to have Britain's high speed powerhouse's all released by Rapido, With exceptional quality, and finally doing justice to these pioneering locomotive sets.

• RMweb Gold

I tried to get F10 and above to work on our club NCE throttle tonight with zero success. When I press 'Option' all it says on the screen is 'Programme on Main' or something similar and no F Nos. appear anywhere. I can't even get F10 - F12 to work using the 'Shift' key and the bottom row of buttons.

I'm getting seriously frustrated by this now, and I can't find anyone at the club who knows enough about the throttle to help out.  :ireful:

Hi Kit,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner I've only just seen this and Bruce has kindly supplied the info needed.

Cheers

Simon

To be fair to Hornby, their model was, for, and of, its time, an excellent item. Of course, with new modelling techniques, models of the calibre of Rapido's offering are shining the light. No doubt, in another 30 years, people will be saying exactly the same about this model. No opening doors, no radio playing the latest 1970s hits etc.

I love my APT-E, but would also have loved to have the Hornby APT-P, but with no layout as such, will continue to let my Rapido offering trundle on the roundy-roundy track, marvelling at the tilt.

To be fair to Hornby, their model was, for, and of, its time, an excellent item. Of course, with new modelling techniques, models of the calibre of Rapido's offering are shining the light. No doubt, in another 30 years, people will be saying exactly the same about this model. No opening doors, no radio playing the latest 1970s hits etc.

I love my APT-E, but would also have loved to have the Hornby APT-P, but with no layout as such, will continue to let my Rapido offering trundle on the roundy-roundy track, marvelling at the tilt.

I'm not knocking Hornby, And you're quite right, you could say it's took 30 years for somebody else to take up the challenge, And with E-Train and P-Train there are both a bit of a niche market, not for everyone.

So can understand why Hornby wouldn't do a new one, This is where Rapido can step in, and still do think it would be great to do all four.

I got my P-Train over 20 years ago, just because it looked different, (same as E-Train really) This was 2nd hand from a carboot sale, never really ran well to start with and I was only in my teens then with a layout of 2nd radius curves so this didn't help either!

"no radio playing the latest 1970s hits etc" Working on that, a little something different for service use.

• Like 1

I read some time ago that Simon Kohler, then of Hornby, felt that the APT had a good chance of being successful if reissued, located the APT-P moulds at Margate, and wanted to ship them to China for evaluation, but, in his words, 'the Health and Safety person' refused to sanction their removal. Can't remember if Simon ever related the reasons why this stance was taken, but I guess those moulds are now part of some Chinese car

• Like 1

That sounds like someone using Health and Safety as an excuse.  If there was some sort of risk with the moulds, then the risk could have been evaluated and suitable precautions identified. 

You'd be surprised how much this happens in China.  Working with our customer, they'd make a big stink about us moving forward with something because of "safety concerns".  After two weeks, turns out, they just weren't ready on their side and needed more time.  They won't come out and give you the bad news (we don't have your molds anymore) directly, they'll save face and create another "reason".

On another note, I finally returned home from working in China.  Got to unpack and test my APT-E.  What an awesome model, nearly blew my eardrums off, but awesome!  The connectors were pretty easy to figure out, and everything went together without a hitch.  Thanks for producing such an amazing model.  This will surely confuse my local railroad club (USA).

I was told recently that Hornby were now able to access the mould but for the life of me I can't remember who told me. It was only last month as well. I always take these things in face value anyway.

Cheers

Shane

I read some time ago that Simon Kohler, then of Hornby, felt that the APT had a good chance of being successful if reissued, located the APT-P moulds at Margate, and wanted to ship them to China for evaluation, but, in his words, 'the Health and Safety person' refused to sanction their removal. Can't remember if Simon ever related the reasons why this stance was taken, but I guess those moulds are now part of some Chinese car

Off the Hornby website,

http://www.Hornby.com/us-en/news/simonsays/a-very-apt-occasion/

This is old though.

Edited by UP 4000
  • Like 1

You are right, it is old, but, nevertheless, relevant, as , with a little engineering, I am sure the model could have been updated with modern technology. I see that the '70's models are selling on eBay for upward of £100

I know we're getting a bit side tracked talking about P-Train on here, (it is the E-Train forum) but would be a bit quiet if we weren't.

Looking outside the box, I'm hoping, preying and in a way believe Rapido would do the P-Train,

The amount of time, effort, research and money they put into E-Train before they knew what the sales was, was a big gamble, And one incredible model, At (in my opinion) a reasonably priced model, if not, under-priced, A lot of bang for your buck! Why waste all of this? Could there be an underlying strategy to this that they were planning a P-Train in the future to try to compensate for all the work on E-Train? 

I don't mean cost wise, But E-Train was a bit of a test bed for the UK market, and a phenomenal success, so why not implement this for P-Train, I think P-Train will be more successful, Purely because most of us will order one to complement E-Train,(I will, as long as it's Rapido's)  but due to it's bad press is more known about, You mention APT, And first thing springs to mind is alcohol, cakes and everybody thronging up, Not the best! it was also in active service, plus many would upgrade their Hornby model.

Kit mentioned that he never thought a model of E-Train would happen, And it did, So a 2nd generation of P-Train is plausible, (that sounds a bit like Mythbusters!! Sorry!)

• Like 1

I am trying to test the sound on my two dcc sound apt-e, but I don't have a layout, just a bit of track and a normal Bachmann controller, I have put pc-1 on the track by itself, but only the red lights come on, nothing else does, is pc-1 the one with the sound fitted, and should it be working on its own?.

I am trying to test the sound on my two dcc sound apt-e, but I don't have a layout, just a bit of track and a normal Bachmann controller, I have put pc-1 on the track by itself, but only the red lights come on, nothing else does, is pc-1 the one with the sound fitted, and should it be working on its own?.

PC-1 is the master, It has the decoder and should work on its own.

When you say a normal Bachmann controller is this DC? if so, sound will only operate when you crank it over half power, You should get movement regardless if everything is o.k and directional lighting might work but not sure on DC, I'll check on this.

It is a normal dc Bachmann controller.

Checked mine, (sound version) needs half power before anything happens, Directional lights do work but only when the sound starts, Is there any movement at all?

Just the red lights, no sound no movement, I am trying two pc-1 from two sound fitted packs, both are the same, so it must be a faulty controller or im unlucky.

Are the lights on at full power? if yes on both I would guess both have decoder issues, I would check what rating your controller is as well, if it's a low powered one it may not be able to start E-Train. 

Try contacting Charlie from DC Kits for his advice, You may need to reset the decoders but I don't know if this is possible on a DC layout? Charlie and Ian both recommend to contact them first before you ever do a reset on a legomanbiffo decoder, Even though this is factory sound He did work on it so would check first.

If they are both faulty Charlie will give you the relevant information for sending them back.

Had a quick check with a multimeter, Starting voltage is 6-7 volts, The amps were at about 1.5A just before she fired and jumped upto 2.1 - 2.2A when starting which would be 0.6 -0.7Amp to start her.

If its the little grey Bachmann controller, I think that's only rated at 0.7A max so that could be the issue.

Graham Farish, N gauge, not sure on what they run at, but that could be the problem there, Try to beg, steal or borrow a more powerful controller and try that. You really would be unlucky to have 2 with the same issue.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone having running issues, lights, driveshafts, decoders, dodgy PCB's etc, they were all able to run. Might be wrong though.

Still 12v 0.7Amp

Edited by UP 4000

Well as you can guess, I've had a busy day, What's the old saying "While the coaches are away, Craigie will play" or something like that!

Started off with P-Trains power unit, quick clean and service and fitted a decoder as well, She's o.k considering it's the first time it's ran in 15 years, I'd be surprised if she could pull her own weight when back with P-Train, Have to set up a test track and give it a shot.

On to E-Train, Caught the vandal, just over 5' tall wielding a craft knife and looks like an idiot,,,, Wait................... That's ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had a spare coach that never went off with the rest of them to Simon's, So I thought I'd try some kit bashing ( No Mr Tilt's were hurt during this process), Had to use Service Use's TC-1 though but will replace the interior when the other coaches come back.

This was the outcome from the pair of them, Sorry Kit, no Showaddywaddy at the moment,

post-28965-0-65373800-1468094326_thumb.jpg

The window cleaner needs sacking though,

Looks Interesting?

post-28965-0-55634300-1468094493_thumb.jpg

And Yes, this is real, the coach really is doing this!!!

https://youtu.be/8vJdc-oz4w8

• Like 6

Well I parked her up last night in Thornaby MPD, And they've been in, windows smashed, lights smashed, ripped the doors off and nicked the seating!!

Is nothing safe!

That looks remarkably like TC1 did when we first took over E-Train from the NRM in 2000!  :O

Well as you can guess, I've had a busy day, What's the old saying "While the coaches are away, Craigie will play" or something like that!

Started off with P-Trains power unit, quick clean and service and fitted a decoder as well, She's o.k considering it's the first time it's ran in 15 years, I'd be surprised if she could pull her own weight when back with P-Train, Have to set up a test track and give it a shot.

On to E-Train, Caught the vandal, just over 5' tall wielding a craft knife and looks like an idiot,,,, Wait................... That's ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had a spare coach that never went off with the rest of them to Simon's, So I thought I'd try some kit bashing ( No Mr Tilt's were hurt during this process), Had to use Service Use's TC-1 though but will replace the interior when the other coaches come back.

This was the outcome from the pair of them, Sorry Kit, no Showaddywaddy at the moment,

attachicon.gifWP_20160709_11_20_49_Pro.jpg

The window cleaner needs sacking though,

Looks Interesting?

attachicon.gifWP_20160709_14_09_27_Pro.jpg

And Yes, this is real, the coach really is doing this!!!

https://youtu.be/8vJdc-oz4w8

You have NO idea how nostalgic that makes me, the music is perfect, Edison Lighthouse's 'Love grows where my Rosemary goes', and the lighting effects are almost exactly how they were in Bailey's Club in Derby, our usual night-time entertainment place.

I love the idea of an E-Train Disco coach.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2