The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Make a playlist Kit, and I'll put it on her, 8gb of memory installed, and it does get better, the disco lights do go with the music, I only used Edison Lighthouse because everybody will know this, can get quite mesmerising watching it though,

I'll do a better video later on, was a bit blurry,  

Was a bit of fun, Expensive fun, but well worth it, Really appreciate you approve of this,

Will still continue pushing forward with the madness of the mighty service use,

• Like 1

And Yes, this is real, the coach really is doing this!!!

https://youtu.be/8vJdc-oz4w8

All you need now are some moving figures...

http://www.viessmann-modell.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p2011_H0-Dancing-group-with-4-figures--moving.html#top

and

http://www.viessmann-modell.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p3448_H0-Woman-waving-her-arm.html#top

A little bit of modification and "almost" any of the moving figure set could be used!

(Not sure how much vertical clearence would be needed but I'm the drive could be turned 90 degrees.

Luke

Just found a car for Mr Tilt in the museum at gaydon, a gas turbine rover!

7BD3D6BB-E7EE-49A7-83D0-139487848F86.jpg

That's the Rover T4 turbine in the foreground and the second generation of the Rover-BRM Le Mans car in the background.

The T4 was the forerunner of the Rover 2000 body/chassis unit, called the P6 in the motor industry where I was working back then. That P6 was used by Automotive Products to develop a NON-tilting suspension system for the car back in the 60s. 

Small world..........  :D

All you need now are some moving figures...

http://www.viessmann-modell.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p2011_H0-Dancing-group-with-4-figures--moving.html#top

and

http://www.viessmann-modell.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p3448_H0-Woman-waving-her-arm.html#top

A little bit of modification and "almost" any of the moving figure set could be used!

(Not sure how much vertical clearence would be needed but I'm the drive could be turned 90 degrees.

Luke

Someone has already done it, albeit the original Marklin coach, I do have the figures for it though but that will be later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQUSBcOvns

Don't tell Kit, I found a 15 minute mashup of Showaddywaddy and it can play that too!!

Edited by UP 4000
  • Like 1

Finally got to try out the APT-E on "Pendeford Sidings" today, I'll probably annoy all those who had to wait months in eager anticipation but mine was one of the first batch posted out and has sat in my lounge ever since as it's too big for King's Oak and the shed layout still isn't built.  I was quite pleased that I RTFM a couple of times before assembly as it went together well, and the running qualities and sounds really do make it worth every penny.  Apart from the need to adapt one part of "Pendeford Sidings" from Hastings gauge to Berne gauge, it was great fun.  There are pictures over on the "Pendeford Sidings" thread.

Looking forward to the HST next.

• Like 1

Don't tell Kit, I found a 15 minute mashup of Showaddywaddy and it can play that too!!

Including 'Under the Moon of Love' I hope? We'd all sing that, word perfect, aboard E-Train when I played it on my tape deck.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2

Including 'Under the Moon of Love' I hope? We'd all sing that, word perfect, aboard E-Train when I played it on my tape deck.  :D

Oh Yess, that's on there, If you want 15 minutes of flashing disco lights, and Showaddywaddy belting out the best, I'll upload it,

Just uploading the business end of the disco car, hope you approve Kit.

This is a short clip of Kit Spackman's talk on E-Train, The full 2hr talk is on disco coach and is quite funny, love the bloke that tried to get to Newcastle, an you through him off with the tilt mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjRJDoRL1Mo

Hehehe, that was my talk at DEMU this year, wasn't it?

You've got the whole talk loaded on to the sound ship in the coach??? That's amazing.  :D

[Later] Ah no it wasn't DEMU, it was some years ago now. But as it's almost always the same, you'd never know.....

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2

Hi Kit,

Yes the WHOLE talk is on there, It's an 8gb memory card in it, so can hold quite a lot on there,

The mind BOGGLES!  :O

I'll work up a play-list for your 'On Board Disco', I've still got many of them on tape still, plus some more modern CD versions of course.

You can bet one will be Bachmann Turner Overdrive's 'You ain't seen nothing yet', that was a BIG fave.  :D

• Like 1

Someone has already done it, albeit the original Marklin coach, I do have the figures for it though but that will be later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQUSBcOvns

Interesting. It looks as if they are mounted on rubber model car tyres. Turn one and they all turn.

But was that sort of dancing correct for the early 70's? Surely more arm movements than slowly waltzing around?

(are we being picky here?!?) :)

Luke

Interesting. It looks as if they are mounted on rubber model car tyres. Turn one and they all turn.

But was that sort of dancing correct for the early 70's? Surely more arm movements than slowly waltzing around?

(are we being picky here?!?) :)

Luke

Oh yes, LOTS of arm movements!  :D

• Like 1

I got sent an e-mail by Layouts4U this afternoon. 

In their new items I saw this:

"Latching Reed Switch (43mm long) If you bring one pole of a permanent magnet near the reed switch the contacts within the glass tube come together and current flows.  If you carefully remove the magnet the contacts will stay together and your LEDs or whatever is connected to the switch will stay on.  To turn the switch off turn the magnet over and bring the other pole near the switch.  The contacts will relax and separate breaking the circuit..  £2.50"

Seems to me it might be of use for those who don't want the coach lighting on at all times...

Luke

Luke

Looking forward to the playlist Kit,

For those with one of these, ESU's ECoS 50020,

post-28965-0-91677100-1468353535_thumb.jpg

If you haven't yet got it, or want the APT-E loco picture, it's now on ESU's website to download in the loco bazzar.

• Like 1

Anyone else watching train spotting live on bbc4?

Never seen it, but ironically talking about it today, isn't it a camera crew watching trainspotters live in different locations??? mean no offense, but the 2 lads I was with no nothing about trains, and laughing over it, and just to prove a point, I just happened to mention the APT, and first thing they said "Wasn't everybody p****d, and hurling there guts out!!!" Where I corrected them "That was the APT-P, My baby is the APT-E", And smugly showed them the video clip of "service use" flying past.

• Like 1

Anyone else watching train spotting live on bbc4?

I find the mathematics interesting. A lot of it is moderately informative but wide of the mark. For example, a lot of chatter about torque but no mention of cut off. For another example, I’d like to see Hannah Fry read the number of a Super Voyager at 100 m.p.h.

post-26289-0-31129200-1468396140.jpg

I know this is seriously off topic, so apologies in advance, but that train spotting live program does none of us any good at all.  To the non- rail enthusiast it is basically nonsensical blather and endless numbers and codes, and to those of us who know better it's full of inaccuracies and maths that isn't quite right.  To the average human we look even weirder now than we did last week!

ANyway, back on track, is the talk of bespoke figures for apt-e a mickey take or is it happening?  I would actually love to have a set of them in my set

I know this is seriously off topic, so apologies in advance, but that train spotting live program does none of us any good at all.  To the non- rail enthusiast it is basically nonsensical blather and endless numbers and codes, and to those of us who know better it's full of inaccuracies and maths that isn't quite right.  To the average human we look even weirder now than we did last week!

ANyway, back on track, is the talk of bespoke figures for apt-e a mickey take or is it happening?  I would actually love to have a set of them in my set

Well if it's in relation to the disco car, A bit of fun, But is real, The coach does have working lights, really does play the sound itself, No phone/mp3 tape recorder out of sight and yes there is figures for it and somebody has fitted viessmann moving figures inside of the original Marklin one.

I got the Trix one: http://www.maerklinshop.de/en/trix/trix-h0/wagons/passenger-cars/54759/entertainment-car

And if it's about the 'real' APT-E crew figures it's happening too. There's a good chance I may get a sight of some of the prototypes on Monday sometime. 

• Like 3