The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

And if it's about the 'real' APT-E crew figures it's happening too. There's a good chance I may get a sight of some of the prototypes on Monday sometime. 

Brilliant, Will they be a driver as well Kit?

and a window cleaner? last one got sacked!!

post-28965-0-66895200-1468436047_thumb.jpg

Edited by UP 4000

Brilliant, Will they be a driver as well Kit?

and a window cleaner? last one got sacked!!

I'm not sure, that depends how much time Paul has to do them I guess. Plus we have to have enough photos of the crew to make the models in the fist place.

I'm not sure, that depends how much time Paul has to do them I guess. Plus we have to have enough photos of the crew to make the models in the fist place.

Ahhh yes, totally understand, a driver would be nice, otherwise we would have the British equivalent of Runaway Train, Great film and E-Train is more of a stunner than them four units,

Do need to clean off that dirty fingerprint though, and would be nice if we could get a fully seated coach, that's the only one I have.

• RMweb Premium

I find the mathematics interesting. A lot of it is moderately informative but wide of the mark. For example, a lot of chatter about torque but no mention of cut off. For another example, I’d like to see Hannah Fry read the number of a Super Voyager at 100 m.p.h.

A newer style of lower fairing has been fitted to Voyagers and the numbers are now higher up. As a result they're now easier to see........... (As an aside, the drivers like this change as they're no longer frightened as much when people get close to them, leaning over the edge at platforms to see the numbers, when the trains are moving at speed)

Cheers,

Mick

The APT got a brief mention on last night's show(train spotting live) saying that it tilted too far and that it caused passengers to feel sick as the pendolina does not tilt as far and so is more comfortable,they also said if we had gone with Brunels wide gauge instead of standard gauge trains would be able to go faster and be more comfortable and reduce the need to tilt?

The APT got a brief mention on last night's show(train spotting live) saying that it tilted too far and that it caused passengers to feel sick as the pendolina does not tilt as far and so is more comfortable,they also said if we had gone with Brunels wide gauge instead of standard gauge trains would be able to go faster and be more comfortable and reduce the need to tilt?

More stuff wide of the mark. It was notable that broad gauge locomotives were much less prone (I nearly said inclined!) to turn over when derailed than standard gauge ones. However, modern trains are able to travel safely much faster than they do – the tilt is for passenger comfort. Taking the curves much faster would spill drinks and land you in the lap of the passenger in the next seat. Hm. Would that be a bad thing if that passenger happened to be Megan?

:offtopic: Just noticed that the programme is being discussed elsewhere. Perhaps we should shut up here before we are told off.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother! 

Another part of the Beeb interviewed me only a month or so ago and I set them right about the 'tilt sickness' no less then FOUR times!

And while it's true that Brunel Gauge would have made higher speeds easier (the wider the track gauge the higher the onset of instability) the need for tilting has got NOTHING to do with the gauge, it's to do with the actual speed and the sharpness of the curve.

I feel a rude phone call coming on........

• Like 2

• Administrators

The point was about passenger comfort, specifically not spilling coffee. Tilt sickness was explained. All this very briefly - it wasn't Open University after all.

I wonder how broad gauge would have affected BR's approach to speed and comfort. Presumably lower centre of gravity would be possible allowing for higher cornering speeds at the cost of passenger comfort.

The point was about passenger comfort, specifically not spilling coffee. Tilt sickness was explained. All this very briefly - it wasn't Open University after all.

I wonder how broad gauge would have affected BR's approach to speed and comfort. Presumably lower centre of gravity would be possible allowing for higher cornering speeds at the cost of passenger comfort.

Yeah, but just think of the size of the sofas you could have lounged on, in a broad gauge carriage.  :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, but just think of the size of the sofas you could have lounged on, in a broad gauge carriage.  :D

And with bigger models in 4mm scale there would have been room even for a 1940s motor and we would probably have had proper 28mm gauge track from day one.  Or 1.1"

But the roof may need to curve down more at the edges otherwise it might get a bit close to the underside of bridges since the vertical movement at each side would be greater to get the same amount of tilt. I think I may be overthinking this... time for bed!

But the roof may need to curve down more at the edges otherwise it might get a bit close to the underside of bridges since the vertical movement at each side would be greater to get the same amount of tilt. I think I may be overthinking this... time for bed!

Maybe, but it'd depend on how the equivalent 'C1' loading gauge was shaped. With 7' 0,25" track to play with the loading gauge could even be square cornered if we wanted it to be. 

The shape of the tilted body shell could be made to fit any shape you like really.

What AM I thinking of? It's midnight, for crying out loud!!!!  :O

• Like 2

At Wensleydale diesel gala today,got talking to some teenage train spotters who started because of the BBC 4 train spotting live ,showed then some pictures of the apt-e on my phone and they could not believe it was a British train as they said it looked too cool

• Like 1

At Wensleydale diesel gala today,got talking to some teenage train spotters who started because of the BBC 4 train spotting live ,showed then some pictures of the apt-e on my phone and they could not believe it was a British train as they said it looked too cool

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings..............  :D

• Like 1