The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Better make sure all cables are disconnected this time! :(

They were never re-connected, the job's FAR too big for us, without any drawings.

I'm afraid that's something that will probably never happen, not in my lifetime anyway.  :(

Hmm, it'd have been nice if they'd have told those of us in the Support Group about the planned moves........

I'm pleased to say that 'they' did tell us the proposals by email today.  :D

I'll be conferring with my fellow members of the Support Group to see what we think of them. 

I'm pleased to say that 'they' did tell us the proposals by email today.  :D

I'll be conferring with my fellow members of the Support Group to see what we think of them. 

We suggested they could sell viewing tickets to watch the shunting operations, but they seemed to think it would be better to just close the whole site for a couple of days. Talk about missing opportunities!

• Like 1

We suggested they could sell viewing tickets to watch the shunting operations, but they seemed to think it would be better to just close the whole site for a couple of days. Talk about missing opportunities!

In theory that sounds good, but the space in front of the main building is where all the work would take place, leaving nowhere for viewers to stand.

As far as E-Train is concerned the 'coupling' and 'uncoupling' processes are very complex, time consuming, and not to put too fine a point on it, plain dangerous. That's because most of the handling equipment for the train that we produced at the RTC has disappeared and we had to make do with what we had when we moved the train to Shildon in 2004.

I'm not really looking forward to doing it all again, but it looks like it'll have to be done. 

Perhaps not necessarily for the public, but if being forced to take apart and put things back together it may be worth considering having someone around to document procedures for the future.  Often a video can more clearly demonstrate something compared to any paper instructions.

We've got a lot of pics of the last time we did it, but I hope we can get nearer the 'approved' method this time coming. it was very dicey last time.

TuQtyj.jpg

And that was before we slotted the Joint Module in between them too! 

We've got a lot of pics of the last time we did it, but I hope we can get nearer the 'approved' method this time coming. it was very dicey last time.

TuQtyj.jpg

And that was before we slotted the Joint Module in between them too! 

OMG, scary memories................................. but we did it.

• RMweb Premium

I've just ordered a sound decoder + speakers from DC Kits/Legomanbiffo to go in my non-sound one, though when I'll actually get round to fitting it is entirely unknown...

I've just ordered a sound decoder + speakers from DC Kits/Legomanbiffo to go in my non-sound one, though when I'll actually get round to fitting it is entirely unknown...

I'm sure you'll find it well worth the work, it's not so difficult to get inside the Power Car and the sounds are amazing!  :good:

• Like 1

And a sound fitted set has just sold on eBay for 670 quid :O

Wow, er no thanks, I was speaking to Gareth from Rapido at York MRE over Easter about various things, how great they were with detail, the Turbo N scale, I'd like HO one, wait and see, the HSDT, see what Warley brings, and oh yes the APT-E, for now reign the horses in, I'll bide my time see what happens, I have two beautiful models of them and won't say no to a third, but not at that price when it's over two years old and out of warrantee, 2nd run??? fingers crossed.

Like Kit said, well worth it and not to bad to install, mine sports four sound decoders, although it's never ran with all of them yet, I really really need to get her out for a run,

Edited by UP 4000

• RMweb Premium

Hastings update!

Been busy of late with the welder, two panels now fully welded in, dressed and first filler applied.

27057116527_6a64d16368_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

41326588874_648c2d6e1c_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

28236158458_73c1f4ebbc_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

28236010298_835bfd165d_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

That's a bit of a bigger job than my cut n shut test fleet............

Cheers,

MIck

That's a bit of a bigger job than my cut n shut test fleet............

Cheers,

MIck

And it's not yellow either.  :D

Super job Shane, you're playing a real blinder there. And now I've actually been to see it I realise quite how cramped it is in that shed!  :O

Actually Titan's close to correct. :good:

The Pacer/Skipper railcars relied heavily on the dynamics of HSFV1's chassis design, suspension and wheel profiles and had almost the same wheelbase, but they had no secondary suspension at all, relying on the twin vertical primary coil springs for passenger 'comfort'. (Can you use the words 'comfort' and 'Pacer' in the same sentence??)

Having ridden on a few of the various Pacer classes myself I can' help but feel that BR didn't get the spring rate, damper settings or wheel profiles correct for passenger use. The wheelsets didn't really self-steer as they should have done if they'd have followed Prof. Wickens' precepts, and passenger loads aren't as heavy as freight is and need softer springs for proper comfort levels.

I can personally vouch that the pacer chassis is stable at speeds of 110mph. Well, the version under the 141113 is anyway. 1990s, Sheffield to York service and before york overtaking a 158 with the speedo well off the clock.

I can personally vouch that the pacer chassis is stable at speeds of 110mph. Well, the version under the 141113 is anyway. 1990s, Sheffield to York service and before york overtaking a 158 with the speedo well off the clock.

I'm surprised you're still alive then!   :O

Perhaps the 141s had a more 'pure' derivation of the HSFV1 chassis, the later ones being 'productionised', never a good idea in my experience.

The transmission oil must have been very frothy :)

Where about is hastings? I visited battlefield at the weekend and couldn't see any sign of a shed that it could be in.

She's in the engine shed that's way to the south end of the station itself. You need permission from the powers that be to go in there and look, but it was readily given when I went there. 

She's in the engine shed that's way to the south end of the station itself. You need permission from the powers that be to go in there and look, but it was readily given when I went there.

I should hope so, you do own it!

Cheers

Shane