The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

In the real world E-Train never went anywhere without the lights on in TC2 though. Most of the control systems went via TC2 (the drivers, guards and inspectors lived under the misapprehension that they were in charge. They weren't.... ;)) and we had to have the lights on to see our control panels. But it was difficult to see the lights from the outside in daylight because of the smoked glass windows.

TC1 sometimes travelled without  the lights on, depending if anyone was in there or not, but the windows in TC1 were clear so it was always obvious if they were on or not.

The cab interior lights were usually off when the train was moving, in daylight or at night. Sometimes the interior lights in the Power Cars were on during running, but they aren't in the model anyway. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Quick query that someone might be able to answer, when I have placed my Apt-E on the track and turned the track power on it always has the cab lights and directional lights come on. I always make sure I have turned everything off from the previous running but still this happens.

Can anyone advise or tell me if there's does or doesn't do this? Mine is a DCC sound version (Factory)

Regards

Matt

17 hours ago, Mattgod69 said:

Hi,

Quick query that someone might be able to answer, when I have placed my Apt-E on the track and turned the track power on it always has the cab lights and directional lights come on. I always make sure I have turned everything off from the previous running but still this happens.

Can anyone advise or tell me if there's does or doesn't do this? Mine is a DCC sound version (Factory)

Regards

Matt

I've just checked mine for you, (She's always at hand) I knew anyway but there should be no lights on when track power is applied (for you coach lights and console will), Mine had nothing on until I turned them on and this was checked with the ESU ECoS controller and the decoder in APT is ESU's Loksound Select.

Might be of some help,

Regards Craig.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, UP 4000 said:

I've just checked mine for you, (She's always at hand) I knew anyway but there should be no lights on when track power is applied (for you coach lights and console will), Mine had nothing on until I turned them on and this was checked with the ESU ECoS controller and the decoder in APT is ESU's Loksound Select.

Might be of some help,

Regards Craig.

Thank you very much Craig for taking the time to confirm that for me, much appreciated.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

From tonight's Rapido Facebook Live with Jason, someone asked about the APT-E.  Response again would like to do it, those people who would like to buy an APT-E should email Locomotion and make that wish known.

Edited by mdvle
Locomotion wants it delayed to next year
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Part of me thinks its probably not a great idea to start flooding the poor guys at Locomotion with APT-E requests while they are still closed and probably getting the inveitable mountain of people chasing orders they've placed.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Part of me thinks its probably not a great idea to start flooding the poor guys at Locomotion with APT-E requests while they are still closed and probably getting the inveitable mountain of people chasing orders they've placed.

The Locomotion website states the online shop is open, but with no onsite staff nothing can be shipped at the moment.

Thus anyone emailing about orders can get a quick and easy standard reply.

On the other hand, once they re-open they will (hopefully) be very busy attempting to catch up with the backlog of orders, so that would definitely be a very bad time to request an APT-E.

But having just rewatched the Q&A with Jason, reading between the lines the hold up on more APT-E models is Locomotion not Rapido - hence Jason's comment to email them saying "Jason says why aren't you making more APT-E's"

So it all comes down to whether you want another chance at buying an APT-E, and that there could never be a "best" time to email them.

• Like 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3
On 21/05/2020 at 18:35, mdvle said:

The Locomotion website states the online shop is open, but with no onsite staff nothing can be shipped at the moment.

Thus anyone emailing about orders can get a quick and easy standard reply.

On the other hand, once they re-open they will (hopefully) be very busy attempting to catch up with the backlog of orders, so that would definitely be a very bad time to request an APT-E.

But having just rewatched the Q&A with Jason, reading between the lines the hold up on more APT-E models is Locomotion not Rapido - hence Jason's comment to email them saying "Jason says why aren't you making more APT-E's"

So it all comes down to whether you want another chance at buying an APT-E, and that there could never be a "best" time to email them.

Please appreciate that our staff who look after answering your questions, process your orders and send out your parcels are all on furlough. 

At the moment there is no indication when either Locomotion or York will be able to reopen to enable staff to return to process the orders that have been raised. These will take priority. The Heljan Class 33/1 'Hertfordshire Rail Tours' will require our immediate attention the minute we get back to work and the Terrier is also due to arrive in the country and that will also require priority treatment. 

At the moment we do not have the resources to deal with lots of APT-E enquiries. We are well aware of the APT-E thread and will revisit it only as and when we have the resources and the time to do so. We are not ignoring it but we have to concentrate of what is being delivered and what is in the production chain for delivery later this year.

I trust that this explains our current position. We look forward to getting back to business as soon as it is safe to do so and being able to get your outstanding orders processed and delivered.

So please hold off bombarding us with APT-E requests until after this dreadful panademic is well and truly over!

Dennis Lovett

Locomotion Models

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Before I get one of these how long is the 4 car version as I'll want some sort of unique siding for it when it isn't in use so I don't have to break it down each time.

Secondly  is there a group of people thread for those who actually run this on their layouts?

Edited by deepfat

5 hours ago, deepfat said:

Before I get one of these how long is the 4 car version as I'll want some sort of unique siding for it when it isn't in use so I don't have to break it down each time.

Secondly  is there a group of people thread for those who actually run this on their layouts?

It is about 46", or 1.17m long. You are right in not wanting to break it down each time. This takes longer than setting it up.

I am not aware of another thread for those who run it. Mine is boxed up now but has spent 2 extended periods on the layout.

Did you have something in mind?

If I had an 00 gauge layout I'd mine it ALL the time. :rolleyes: I have long term plans for a chunk of the Old Dalby Test Track, but I'd need a house extension first. :(

But I'm an N gauger at heart, and American N at that! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am going to add a long hidden siding on my layout where it can live when not in use. So a bit like the NRM in that it can quickly get on the mainline when I want to use it.  None of my stuff is in original boxes it's in crates and peco loco lifts but of course that isn't going to work for this.

also honoured to get a reply from @Mr_Tilt I studied the apt-e as part of my OU MSc and I am no a project manager engineer at Microsoft, because of what I learnt.

• Like 2

1266311462_Carrycase-d.jpg.f32f11421de7f22cd9ea310a0a1f7131.jpgOf course, why not?

Here's the rest of them, taken during the build. I use a Peco Loco Lift to get the E-Train out of the case and onto a track. if the track's powered up I can actually drive it out of the case with luck. :rolleyes:

Carry case-g.jpg

Carry case-a.jpg

Carry case-b.jpg

Carry case-c.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
Pic disappeared during the outage
  • Like 4

Love it Mr Tilt !

I have always fancied a model of the Britannia Bridge (before the fire & rebuilding) and thought a couple of lengths of square section guttering downpipe might do for the box girders and the masonry piers wouldn't be difficult, but I haven't found a suitable source for the lions ... I have been looking at pottery models of cats !

The removable lid on your conduit is better as it is useful for providing access of course.

Actually the top of my box doesn't come off now I've built it. As the handle bolts through it the very last thing I wanted was for the lid to come off when the E-Train was in the box and I was carrying it! :o

So once I'd got all the bits fitted I glued the lid on.

If you want 'inside' information on the Britannia Bridge, I'm your man! The very first job I did for BR (on the FIRST day I was there!) was to help load testing the Bridge in Sept. 1969, and then re-testing it after the fire in 1970. I was ON it when the rivets failed on the south tube on the Monday, VERY Scary!

I've got LOTS of pics of it too. 

All of a sudden this has become The Official APT-E and Britannia Bridge Thread. ;)

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

I'll remember to ask you if I ever find my four fat lions - cake decorations maybe?

Four fat lions

Without any hair

Two on this side

And two over there.

You're doing well to keep the train on the rails in transit without having the padding so tight a fit that you can't drive it in and out.

• RMweb Premium

Something I read recently implied that Peco are releasing a redesigned LocoLift that is shorter, linkable, and variable gauge. It may be worth grabbing a few of the old ones while they last.

8 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

If you want 'inside' information on the Britannia Bridge, I'm your man! The very first job I did for BR (on the FIRST day I was there!) was to help load testing the Bridge in Sept. 1969, and then re-testing it after the fire in 1970. I was ON it when the rivets failed on the south tube on the Monday, VERY Scary!

Please start a topic on this