The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

@BR60103 I do worry about peco they don't seem to making anything.  I have friedn in other manufacturing organisations from Rolls Royce (engines), Da Vinci (Westland) and Sunseeker(yachts) and they are still in production. I would love to see innovation at Peco too the loco lift is a good start but needs to have additional removable parts for transit and as you say to create a system for made up trains

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I'd be happy to, but I don't know my way around RMWeb all that well and haven't a clue where it would go. Could you give me some pointers please? 

Hi Kit

UK prototype discussions would probably be a good place.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, deepfat said:

@BR60103 I do worry about peco they don't seem to making anything. 

They certainly are and have posted videos of the current setup although production is spread out around the factory and exhibition space to meet the covid regulations. Remember it’s a small firm to start with and ship globally and after three months shutdown last year were way behind on track especially. My wagons ordered last year finally hit production last month and have arrived so they are catching up. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I'd be happy to, but I don't know my way around RMWeb all that well and haven't a clue where it would go. Could you give me some pointers please? 

Yes please Kit, here’s a link to the section. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/45-uk-prototype-discussions-not-questions/

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Remember it’s a small firm to start with and ship globally and after three months shutdown last year were way behind on track especially.

Re Peco, in the early months of the pandemic they diverted resources to the manufacturer of PPE.  This reduction of track manufacture, coupled with a bigger demand for track required for 'railway modellers lockdown projects'  led to a shortage of track.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

They certainly are and have posted videos of the current setup although production is spread out around the factory and exhibition space to meet the covid regulations. Remember it’s a small firm to start with and ship globally and after three months shutdown last year were way behind on track especially. My wagons ordered last year finally hit production last month and have arrived so they are catching up. 

I am sure I read somewhere that Peco turned their manufacturing over to producing PPE for a while too. I am guessingf they have now returned to model railway production though. I bought a couple of the former Parkside wagon kits online, and was quite impressed with the new Peco packaging.

EDIT as Colin McLeod said before me !!!!

Edited by Covkid
Add

2 hours ago, deepfat said:

@mr_tilt I have ordered some trunking to store my latest acquisitio n. Here she is along side a very different take on how to install a turbine in a train

image.png

Yes, very different indeed as the GT3 had mechanical transmission and only one turbine, although with two 'stages'. At least with our ten turbines on E-Train we had some built-in redundancy, and we certainly needed a few times!

That pic makes you realise quite how the bodies of the E-Train vehicles were again, doesn't it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

My next questions are

1. Has anybody run this thing at 152mph scale speed

2. is anyone mad enough to use Hornby RailMaster. 

3. Also the manual doesn't mention the dialogs where you can hear the the engineers confirming the record - I found it by accident and loving it!

• Like 2

On my club's test track we managed 148 running under DCC control, but the bends are quite tight, 4 ft radius, which is a lot tighter than the GWR mainline.  :D At that speed and radius it would have needed a tilt angle of something over 40 degrees as well! :o

The tape of the 152 mph run was Jason's 'Easter Egg' which he puts on many of his model's sound chips. You can even hear me yell 'Hallelujah!' on there as well. The real, full length, tape is on the APT-E Support & Conservation Group's web site I think, or it was anyway,  and that runs right from the very start at Uffington Loop until we stopped at Goring. 

www.apt-e.org

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deepfat said:

My next questions are

1. Has anybody run this thing at 152mph scale speed

3. Also the manual doesn't mention the dialogs where you can hear the the engineers confirming the record - I found it by accident and loving it!

There was a video of one running around a garden layout for a few hours. I think it did something like 170 & covered the equivalent from London to Aberdeen. The real thing couldn't get that far without stopping to re-fuel.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

The tape of the 152 mph run was Jason's 'Easter Egg' which he puts on many of his model's sound chips. You can even hear me yell 'Hallelujah!' on there as well. The real, full length, tape is on the APT-E Support & Conservation Group's web site I think, or it was anyway,  and that runs right from the very start at Uffington Loop until we stopped at Goring. 

This page? http://www.apt-e.org/trials/trials.htm

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

That's the one, yes. Well done, and thanks for the link. :clapping:

Ref. the fuel consumption, E-Train had such small fuel tanks that we had to arrange refuelling stops all over the place. On the last run to the NRM we had to stop on the centre road in York Station while waiting for a path, and the fuel state got so critical that we had to shut down six of the engines, three per Power Car, to ensure that we'd actually make it into the NRM Yard! :o

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, deepfat said:

Yep. I have Hornby Railmaster.  I got it as part of a really cheap trainset from one of these Christmas shops a few years back, Pasttimes?  £75 for the Western Master train set.  I took a punt and I've never looked back.  I've probably spent far more than I need to on IT kit to keep it fed than the Railmaster itself. 

APT-E works perfectly well with the Railmaster/e-link.  There's even an old thread on it on the Hornby Forum.   As with all non-Hornby engines you have to type the details in yourself.

On 16/04/2021 at 12:49, ColinK said:

My APT-E lives in a 'train Safe'.  You can buy a connection piece which enables you to join it to your layout and drive it out or in.

C477E82B-C04F-4932-8166-C69D7E88B8BC.jpeg.5b3a28073ea60d5553f73838ea27426a.jpeg

What length is the Train Safe for the APT? They have 15% off at the moment so I'm thinking of getting one. (Too lazy to get mine out of its box...)

• RMweb Premium

The Trainsafe is 120cm long and the APT-E fits perfectly.  You might want to get the connector track too so you can drive it out onto your layout.

Who has the 15% off at the moment?  I need a couple more.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

so my apt-e is derailing when turning right over  just one of my long turnouts (Peco SLE-194) from toe to heel  at speed. There is nasty thunk when the front wheel of the last power car (PC2) goes over the frog and as the speed increase so does the chance of derailing.  I have checked all the back to backs and they are fine. Also I can get the same result if I just run PC1 by itself backwards over the same turnout. So I am replacing the points with new units and re-laying this area of my layout more carefully. However has anyone else had trouble at speed?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ColinK said:

The Trainsafe is 120cm long and the APT-E fits perfectly.  You might want to get the connector track too so you can drive it out onto your layout.

Who has the 15% off at the moment?  I need a couple more.

Train-Safe themselves (https://shop.train-safe.de/). I am about to order more as well.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Salmotrutta said:

What length is the Train Safe for the APT? They have 15% off at the moment so I'm thinking of getting one. (Too lazy to get mine out of its box...)

I got a mail directly from Train_Sfe:

DESHALB BIETEN WIR IHNEN VOM 21.04. - 03.05.2021 UNSEREN MESSERABATT ONLINE AN15% RABATT AUF ALLES*

*weitere Rabatte finden in dieser Zeit keine Anwendung

14 minutes ago, Salmotrutta said:

I got a mail directly from Train_Sfe:

DESHALB BIETEN WIR IHNEN VOM 21.04. - 03.05.2021 UNSEREN MESSERABATT ONLINE AN15% RABATT AUF ALLES*

*weitere Rabatte finden in dieser Zeit keine Anwendung

I won't be getting one now - the postage to the US is horrific - total is Euro 360! I'll have to see if there is something similar this side of the pond....