The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I believe this is the same business plan that Rapido have successfully used in their previous productions of North American prototypes. There's some risk in it for the customer, and that is something the UK OO market isn't accustomed to.

Just looked and it says on the Rapido GM-1 page: "no deposit necessary". clarity required. Not for me but I'll keep watching with interest.

Excellent choice and I've just negotiated with swmbo that this will be my 63 years birthday present (or 64th if delayed) so result all round. An iconic piece of railway heritage that for me is worth having in model form no matter what era you operate -well my excuse. Others have commented on the reasonableness of the price and I agree completely, much less than I would have expected for a DC installed twin motor multiple. Considering another manufacturer has indicated that to produce further 6 carriage multiple units would retail at £500 plus, this model throws that pricing plan aside as if you did go for the extra carriage option, a 6 car APT would be just less than £325 (if I've got my sums right) - less than the Blue Pullman when first delivered. As far as deposit is concerned, I believe that Locomotion have in the past requested deposits for their commissioned new tooling models, so it may be their requirement.

• Like 1

I think it makes sound business sense on Rapido's behalf!

Remember that we are a new market for them too and I believe it would be too easy to say "I'll take one" then, when the model is ready, change your mind.

This way, the customer has the choice but must back it up with a commitment of his own.

As for me, I'll be taking one as its such an iconic train!

Well done Jason!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

Designed for drop in EM wheelsets you say... Did they get down to st Blazey?

I believe the tilting mechanism proved ideal for high speed running on the sinuous Cornish mainline while the gas turbine power plant made easy work of the gradients. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, what an excellent and brave choice. As an N Gauger, I'm totally jealous!

I spent a couple of years with the APT-E Support Team whilst the unit was at York and really have a soft-spot for this train. A great 1960s and 70s British engineering project with more than a touch of Gerry Anderson-style imagination thrown in.

• RMweb Gold

Having already got two of Rapido's TurboTrains I was sure that the APT-E would be the choice for the first UK model.....and am pleased to see the announcement. Order already placed for the dcc sound version  :mail:  :imsohappy: .

Would like to have been at Shildon today but the logistics of getting from Folkestone to Shildon and back beat me. Was much easier to get to the Rapido presentation at Crewe last year and see Jason oogling at another iconic unit. 2016? :yes:  ;) .

...and just had to get out one of my TurboTrains:

post-586-0-30065100-1403614734.jpg

Purchased this set maybe 4 or 5 years ago and note that price paid then was a penny under £300.00 for the 3-car dcc sound version. Additional coaches were £25.00 each.

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Deposit? Why? That'll put a lot of people off.

Many will want to see some progress (see Hornby thread) before parting with any hard-earned.

I read Stationmaster's recent comment over on Hornby section and have similar thoughts...

Stationmaster wrote:

I will not place money upfront with retailers for pre-orders, end of. In my view if a so called 'business' requires me to stake them then they are not the sort of business where my money would be safe. If it was a 'shared development cost' my view might be different but again why couldn't they develop the model without my financial help, how sound is their business plan?

Could paste this easily, hence no quote box. Sorry

Regards Igor

A good point although just to put the record completely straight I also made a specific exception for museums when it came to the matter of deposits as I consider their approach (and giving them the money) to be in a rather different category.

However having said that I do tend to agree with your point that a deposit may well put off some people although overall I bet it will still sell like those proverbial hot cakes because of the iconic nature of the prototype and the quality of the model itself.

• RMweb Gold

The dawn of a new era in r-t-r....a much needed fresh sparkle and cause for optimism for the world of rail enthusiasts...Welcome to Rapido Trains and congratulations on a truly spectacular UK debut.

Once again,Locomotion Models NRM are setting the pace and are a driving force in reviving what some may think is an ailing market....proving that there's plenty of life here for some time to come. Their pro-active marketing presence is producing positive dividends and there's plenty more to come from this source,I'm sure.Bouquets and champagne all round!

• Like 1

Well done to Jason for picking such an iconic train. Before my time, but rule #1 will apply with this! Unless I have missed something, no mention has been made of the minimum radius on which this will run on (what with the tilting mechanism and close coupling). Can anyone clarify that it will run on at least 3rd radius curves please? If so, my pre order is imminent. :yes:

• Like 1

Aft'noon all,

I'll be watching from the sidelines for this one too but hoping that subsequent models match my era and geographic area. My biggest priority is the availability of outstanding 4mm models, the process/mechanism (e.g. deposit or not) by which this is achieved is secondary. The release of more and more high end/high spec 4mm models should grow that part of the market and hopefully result in the appearence of even more such models.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

... Unless I have missed something, no mention has been made of the minimum radius on which this will run on (what with the tilting mechanism and close coupling). Can anyone clarify that it will run on at least 3rd radius curves please? If so, my pre order is imminent. :yes:

On the Rapido site it says it will run on minimum 2nd radius.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Glad to see such a positive response!

I know that locomotionmodels.com has already received a big pile of orders.

Regarding the £50 deposit, a couple of things:

1. it is refundable in exceptional circumstances. Speak to locomotionmodels.com about that.

2. you can order and place the deposit any time until the order deadline of 30 April. If you pay in full in advance you get free delivery.  

Placing your order early guarantees the price in case there is an unexpected cost increase from China.

I can write this because I am currently in the locomotionmodels.com office and Brian is answering all my questions.  Any further questions about the retail side of things should be directed to locomotionmodels.com - talk to Sandra!

We're having a blast here in Shildon.  If you can still make it, come join us!

Best regards,

Jason

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Deposit? Why? That'll put a lot of people off.

Many will want to see some progress (see Hornby thread) before parting with any hard-earned.

I read Stationmaster's recent comment over on Hornby section and have similar thoughts...

Stationmaster wrote:

I will not place money upfront with retailers for pre-orders, end of. In my view if a so called 'business' requires me to stake them then they are not the sort of business where my money would be safe. If it was a 'shared development cost' my view might be different but again why couldn't they develop the model without my financial help, how sound is their business plan?

Could paste this easily, hence no quote box. Sorry

Regards Igor

Why all this palaver? Why not just say you'll not be buying one, and have done with it? I'm quoting this example from BigAndy to show how to do it.

Not for me I'm afraid. :negative:

Maybe I'll buy 3 or 4, so I can sell off the extra on eBay for a large sum (all profits to charity, of course) to those who didn't want to buy until it had come out and they could see what it's like.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the deposit,I think £50 is modest and reasonable.Bear in mind that when Locomotion launch a new "special" on the market,your order is usually with full amount upfront.,although the run-in time is a matter of a couple of months (give or take a few weeks) rather than next year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a great way to enter the UK market... Not my era or modelling interest..... But an order will be flying off to Shildon when i get back from holiday.

What to follow it with? ...... APT-P ? Which I wish all those years ago I had managed to get a ride on.

Good luck with the project guys,

:locomotive: Just got approval from SWMBO to order the Sound version. For what you get compared to single sound loco it looks a bargain.

Now I have until its released to work on her to build a layout to run it on.

look forward to more humorous updates from Rapido.

• Like 2

Will it fit with my modelling? nope

Do I have an actual use for it? nope

Do I want one? damn straight I do.

Am I ordering one? as soon as I pay off the other 3 Rapido locos I have on order. :O

For those who are a bit pensive about plumping for a deposit. I felt the same a few years back when I first ordered the Rapido Canadian set(s). Worth every penny and every month of the wait. It is the way that smaller manufacturing is going. Smaller runs of more obscure prototypes require a different business model to be successful.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Two questions:

1) I note that additional centre coaches can be purchased separately.  Can anyone advise what were typical formations? Woudl the "as advertised" 4 car set be realistic, or did this train reguarily run with additional coaches and if so, how many?

2) Interesting that the options are DC and DCC-Sound.  Am I missing an option of plain old DCC without the sound?  The difference in the DC and DCC-Sound prices is £100 which is well above the price of a traction/lights only chip.

Thanks in antipication.

Colin

Why not just say you'll not be buying one, and have done with it? I'm quoting this example from BigAndy to show how to do it.

If all you're doing is saying you're not interested, why not simply save the effort of typing at all and go and contribute more positively on something that you are interested in?

After all, with 23000+ members (according to the homepage), threads would get extremely long, boring and pointless if everybody commented negatively every time a manufacturer chooses to make something that isn't your personal interest...

I know we've a cultural meme of always having something to whinge about to keep up, especially in the face of colonial high spirits,...but really... :no: :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Will it fit with my modelling? nope

Do I have an actual use for it? nope

Do I want one? damn straight I do.

Am I ordering one? as soon as I pay off the other 3 Rapido locos I have on order. :O

Coundn't have worded it better myself. A bit before my time but with strong local connections it is a must have for me, without even accounting for the wrong era or gauge for my main modeling mantra.

A question for Jason, would an N gauge one be a possibilty if there was enough interest shown? What kind of commitment would you need to consider it?

Now to start penning that Old Dalby into and 8' x 2'...

• Like 2