The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

re Glorious NSE's post above

...and fawning, nothing but praise threads are an equal turn off for me. Surely, constructive, sometimes humourous, informative posts are the way to go...even if the end result is not purchasing a particular model.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wow, a real bargain in my opinion. To think what a 6 car Midland Pullman would cost from Bachmann these days compared to the price of a 6 car APT-E at pre-order price (considering Rapido's reputation for detail & the inclusion of tilt mechanism etc)

Not really suitable for my slowly developing isle of Wight layout but couldn't resist ordering - have pre-ordered a 5 car set with sound. Have got 18 months now to come up with an excuse!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Coundn't have worded it better myself. A bit before my time but with strong local connections it is a must have for me, without even accounting for the wrong era or gauge for my main modeling mantra.

A question for Jason, would an N gauge one be a possibilty if there was enough interest shown? What kind of commitment would you need to consider it?

Now to start penning that Old Dalby into and 8' x 2'...

I'd certainly be very interested in a N Gauge version, as would a lot of folk over on N Gauge Forum.

1) I note that additional centre coaches can be purchased separately.  Can anyone advise what were typical formations? Woudl the "as advertised" 4 car set be realistic, or did this train reguarily run with additional coaches and if so, how many?

I believe the APT-E was only ever a 4-car train so the set as-sold is accurate and realistic. My guess is that the additional centre cars are for those who wish to model "what if" scenarios. :)

Personally I don't see the risk in a deposit being made with the retail outlet of the NRM, it's not as if they are a here today, gone tomorrow swapmeet retailer.

Whilst I would have preferred something with a coathanger on the roof, the idea of a DCC sound gas turbine APT-E on test runs under the wires is far too tempting.  As soon as I've finished the spend on upgrading Kings Oak I'll be placing an order.  I'm glad we've got until April next year to place an order as it allows a bit of financial planning but I have to say the price was a pleasant surprise.

So Jason, how about the NRM's class 87 next time?

• Like 2

Fascinating choice.

I was reading it all, thinking. "hmmm, no mention if the pantograph works", then remembered, DUH, lol!

Unless it was in N it wouldn't tempt me, but a APT-P might, after all the times I passed them going in and out of Glasgow Central and thinking, "I must get myself a ride on one of those soon", sadly I never did.

Angus

PS daft thought really, but, with P4 drop in wheels and it working down to R2 track, if you had R2 type curves on a P4 layout would the dynamics of the wheel/rail profiles keep it on the track at any sort of speed, I guess not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Must admit i've found the past few months of 'clues', 'pointers', 'red herrings' from the manufacturor etc a real turn off regards this model however after the big reveal this morning i thought just out of interest id have a look at the locomotion website as i couldnt find any refrence to the price on here and i was pleasantly surprised at the cost of it, i was fully expecting to see something in the £500 area not just over 1/2 of that!

So much so that i'm a little bit tempted to order one as a 'looking at' model!

• Like 2

I have no need for one but I want sorry need one off these. Know to convince the girl friend that the modern image depot is finished and that I now need BR blue aswell

• RMweb Gold

I think (and am happy to be corrected) it only ran as a 4 car set.

Mark

Correct, I've had a good look round various sources and I can't find any evidence that it ever ran as anything other than a 4 car set (and the Rapido ad doesn't claim that it did, it just offers a 5th car in case you want one as far as I can work out).

... I can't find any evidence that it ever ran as anything other than a 4 car set (and the Rapido ad doesn't claim that it did, it just offers a 5th car in case you want one as far as I can work out).

I wondered if their logic was that you could replace the trailer car in the 4-car set (the one that is filled with illuminated instruments) with a second trailer of seats, to enable you to run the 4-car beast as an "ordinary" passenger unit?

Since the write-up emphasises the interior lighting, it would otherwise be very obvious that it was a (prototypical) experimental train.

Paul

• Like 1

Deposit? Why? That'll put a lot of people off.

Many will want to see some progress (see Hornby thread) before parting with any hard-earned.

The newsletter that Jason sent out is much more informative (a reason to subscribe to Rapido's email newsletter, and he has set it up so that it will in the future be divided into a North American newsletter and a UK newsletter so you can specify what news you are interested in).  The newsletter will be available on Rapido's website sometime in the future for non-subscribers.

As for progress, Rapido has made it clear you will be able to see the model prior to the order deadline in the newsletter.  In particular the mention:

22-23 November 2014 - First tooling samples to be displayed at Warley Show

December 2014 - April 2015 - Final tooling revisions, samples on display at Locomotion in Shildon

4-6 April 2015 - Finals samples on display at York Model Railway Show.

So lots of opportunity to both see the model (and participate here on RMweb) before the order deadline so you can make your own personal judgement on the model prior to having to put any money on the line.

• RMweb Gold

Terrific prototype choice, would never have dreamt this ten years ago. Payday soon, so will order, as others have said a price which is pleasing on the wallet.

The iconic image of APT-E on the front cover of my tatty 1974 combine captures it all. As a young teenager this appeared the future of BR, fast sexy and a glimpse of the shape of things to come. Sadly things didn't pan out that way.

I was actually expecting 252 001 despite Mike's (Stationmasters) numerical clues. Perhaps RapidoUK#2?.

Good luck Jason in your UK market ventures.

Neil

• Like 2

Fantastic model, and I'm sure this will be a brilliant model. N Gauge would have seen me parting with some folding notes.

I'm waiting for people to find evidence of the APT-E on the Somerset Levels, over the Mendips or working through Par though.  :blum: