The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

Pleasantly surprised by price, dare I say that, as I have a feeling this gives Hornby and Bachmann Carte Blanche to increase their prices to similar levels! However this ones not for me. After the fuss and furore have died down, when are you going to run it? A very limited prototype, never actually entered passenger service which will take up siding space! So really it was never on my list , never mind on top of it.

I wish Jason well , in the hope that more interesting prototypes will follow. But I'm also not wanting to open the door on paying deposits up front for future model purchases.

Not for me but good luck guys. Why 2 power cars on such a short train?

• RMweb Gold

Slightly different in this case I think.  The model is an NRM Exclusive being produced for them by Rapido and there is no indication that production won't take place if there are insufficient orders (although possibly the fifth coach might  come into that category but the NRM have not said so - it could well become the most 'collectible' item for those so inclined).

Locomotion at Shildon confirmed a minimum number of orders are required on another thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78160-rapido-trains-uk-release/?p=1492683

I'll just echo what Bill said - the support from all of you is really encouraging and we had a fantastic time today.  Thanks to the Locomotion team for putting on a great party and to the preservation team without whom the APT-E would be a rusting hulk stored outside. Given their dedication and hard work I would not be surprised if the E-Train moves under its own power one day. Maybe we can start a fundraising campaign for that...

Bill and I headed back to the hotel and, being tired and shagged out, I had a triple of Bowmore (Bourbon Cask) on an empty stomach.  Next time I do something as dumb as that... I hope it tastes as good!!!  :swoon:  Boy that's nice whisky.  

We have another busy APT-E day tomorrow and then we're off to Dalwhinnie for more of the sweet stuff. Just hook me up to the IV and leave me there.

:drinks:

Regards from Coatham Mundeville,

Jason

P.S. had a nice treat on the drive back...

post-20909-0-02340500-1403643854_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Heart.....Always wanted a model of it since seeing it ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMING a few times on the MR mainline undergoing test and once going slowly through Bedfird Midland Road station.

Oh dear what do I do?

Realise The World of Tomorrow died on contact with Bedford? ;)  Let's see what happens when East-West Rail (or near offer) gets close.

[On topic] I wasn't expecting anything I'd want or need, and the APT-E doesn't change that. Such is the hobby. But it sounds good as an entrance - glamorous shortish prototype; ticks finescale boxes for those that want that; seems reasonably-priced and has the "wow" factor. And the PR is good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking Kestrel is probably a closer comparable product.

Same Post Steam Era, 1 livery, only ran for 3 years (though it did get on to service trains), only 1 of them built. (1968-1971 in service)

Heljan made 4000 of this in 2009, whilst it  has now sold out, it is still on the shelves of various model shops nationwide 5 years later New to be had.

I'm not guessing at sales anywhere near 4000 for this, (though with 2 power cars / 2 trailers, 4000 pieces from a soft mould could produce a limited edition of 2000).

Price certainly isn't a disincentive, if that price is held, not sure about the deposit idea to the "non hobbying" general public though.

The crucial difference in Kestrels favour is you can put Kestrel on a freight or passenger turn on the Eastern / Western and be realistically in service, sat on shed / sidings etc, APT-E was a once in a medium term visitor that never did anything but test itself, how much "testing" will a modeller do before it becomes stale ? That said you can however in 2014 go look at an APT-E, where as Kestrel you cannot.…

A comparison between a late 60's Kestrel and a mid 70's APT-E is ,quite honestly,a meaningless exercise. If we really want this model...and it is on the face of it a desirable item,then we'll buy it,chronology notwithstanding.Kestrel was behind the Iron Curtain and a speck in the memory by the time APTE ran on BR.What will sell is accuracy and quality.Reactions so far on this forum would suggest that that is the way that heads are turning....deservedly so,it must be said.

Well, I'll be ordering when one gets paid, that's for sure. Nice to have guessed right on what's was coming.

As to if it fits into what I'm doing or even if I need one, the answer is no to both. Will I get one, the answer is a big YES.

The cost isn't a problem, as having a while to make sure I got the cash in. The problem will be the other half when it goes on display. She might notice, as it would be the only thing silver coloured.

• Like 1

I have ordered the all bells and whistles DCC sound APT-E. Thanks for offering this in the first run.

I think for the quality being proposed the price is correct .

I could not find anything on Locomotions website about pay all now and get free postage.... But hey, I,ll let Locomotion clarify that option.

I hope orders meet or exceed expectations because I bet there would be delays if they do not.

And to all those who want to wait to see one in the flesh before buying.... Be careful, remember the Bluebell C class.

If we want to gaurantee the price then we need to gaurantee the order.

Finally WHAT A GREAT INTRODUCTION TO THE UK MARKET

(don,t forget the dust behind the buffers and round axle boxes)

If you follow the link to the deposit page, at the bottom is a link that says 'click here if you want to pay the full amount'

So glad the response is positive, as Jason said we should have a sample by November to show at warley.

If you have any questions about it just get in touch. You can pm on here or ring 01388 771439.

Cheers

• Like 1

Just a couple of questions (admittedly I haven't the time at the moment to research properly).....

Will this run as individual cars, power cars coupled, power cars and test coach only? Or does it have to be coupled as a 4+ car set?

Is there a maximum number of orders that can be placed before the April deadline, or will every order placed be honoured?

I have absolutely no use for this model, I'm building a small depot layout based in Liverpool. But seeing such an iconic piece of British engineering produced in 4mm scale, with so many working parts (the tilt system is something I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing!) and for such a great price has got me really tempted. The sound version sat idling while some slow action solenoids 'test' the tilt mechanism in the depot is just too tempting!!

Best of luck with this project, it sounds fascinating.

Mark

Hi mark

Please be tempted !!!

Maximum 2 per customer and all orders received before the deadline at the end of April will be honoured.

Just returned from Shildon.

An interesting day with an opportunity to look inside three of the cars - pity my wife pulled rank on the use of our digital camera for grandchildren photos and I had to manage with the phone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90963457@ ... 388576443/

For those interested in buying, I had lunch alongside a member of Locomotion's board and had a discussion about the philosophy in creating the model. 
the Locomotion exclusive editions had made £250,000, (?profit?) for the museum in the last year;
there is a binding contract with Rapido to manufacture the model and it will only be sold under the "Locomotion" brand;
only 250 (?of each version?) will be made;
it will not be made available to other retail outlets;
their marketing method should make sure there are enough pre-orders to ensure the model is actually made.
he knows that by keeping the run small, collectors will pre-order to guarantee they get one and then keep them in display cabinets!

By the time I left at 2.00pm, the scan people had images on their laptop screen
IMG_0518_zps723369d1.jpg

If you really want one - order it!

Trevor

• Like 2

Great price and an interesting choice.

One question for Jason. Why does it need two motors when it's only a 4 coach train I would have thought one motor would be enough?

Based on our experience with the TurboTrain you need two.  You can't power it with one power truck - it would not be sufficient for our all-too-steep model railway gradients.

We learned a lot with the TurboTrain - mostly what not to do.  

The trickiest thing with the APT-E will be assembling it and taking it apart.  Basically, once you put it together, leave it together.  Build a cassette long enough for the train and never separate it. There are electrical connections between cars and you don't want to be fiddling with those on a regular basis.

Our biggest challenge with this model is ensuring you can assemble the set the first time without swearing.  We're working on that...

-Jason

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Our biggest challenge with this model is ensuring you can assemble the set the first time without swearing.  We're working on that...

-Jason

Hi Jason

How is it going to work properly without any swearing?.......All my other models work better with a bit of effing and jeffing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

-Jason

Nigh on impossible that, especially if you suffer from Tourettes.... #*$!

• RMweb Gold

-Jason

Hi Jason

How is it going to work properly without any swearing?.......All my other models work better with a bit of effing and jeffing.

Easy. Provide one piece of sticking plaster with each set.  Affix over mouth, then proceed to assemble the APT-E.

No swearing will be heard during assembly.

After assembly, take plaster off (swear then as necessary)

Hi mark

Please be tempted !!!

Maximum 2 per customer and all orders received before the deadline at the end of April will be honoured.

It's a great price - but why if you order the extra trailers and pay in advance for the main set, does the free post offer not work?

Is it a website bug?

How about supplying it ready connected in a long box (with a broom handle in to make sure it won't bend)?

An N gauge one wouldn't need such a long box, of course :D

• Like 1

lets face facts, Hornby haven't been looking after us modern image modellers for many years now, old retooled ex lima mouldings dating back over 20 years and more, very expensive prices ect, Bachmann are only very slightly ahead but with very long lead times and again very expensive prices.

modern image modellers need.

ac emu,s rtr.

class 302-class 325 all refurbished and unrefurbished variants all liveries.

dmu,s class 141-class 156 all variants.

desiro emu,s and dmu,s ect. eg class 185.

ac electric class 81-84 class 86-91 all liveries and variants.

I think we must all be getting bored of diesel and coach models being duplicated.

if this apt-e gets to tooling and production I hope this is a starting point in them tackling the huge gap in modern image modelling we have been suffering for far too long.

why should anyone pay circa £100 for a Hornby class 142 with no working lights that was tooled up in 1987,same goes for the Hornby ex lima class 156 tooled up a bit later.

1987 price class 142 around £27.50  class 156 lima a bit later £37.50.

Have you all noticed the class 142,153,156 and the very old and poor Dapol ex tooling class 155 has not been available from Hornby for some time in some cases many years, except   the class 153 Anglia version they are doing.

the Heljan class 86 was totally wrong if they got that right im sure it would of been very profitable for them. eg minor retool to class 87.

Bachmann class 150 wrong again with the full motor enclosure but being retooled,going up very expensive but not totally corrected.

Hornby 153 possible wrong roof profile and lower bodyside tumblehome.

and again the class 82 west coast dvt Hornby probably perfect except the ic light gey paint shade.

• RMweb Premium

lets face facts, Hornby haven't been looking after us modern image modellers for many years now, old retooled ex lima mouldings dating back over 20 years and more, very expensive prices ect, Bachmann are only very slightly ahead but with very long lead times and again very expensive prices.

modern image modellers need.

ac emu,s rtr.

class 302-class 325 all refurbished and unrefurbished variants all liveries.

dmu,s class 141-class 156 all variants.

desiro emu,s and dmu,s ect. eg class 185.

ac electric class 81-84 class 86-91 all liveries and variants.

I think we must all be getting bored of diesel and coach models being duplicated.

if this apt-e gets to tooling and production I hope this is a starting point in them tackling the huge gap in modern image modelling we have been suffering for far too long.

why should anyone pay circa £100 for a Hornby class 142 with no working lights that was tooled up in 1987,same goes for the Hornby ex lima class 156 tooled up a bit later.

1987 price class 142 around £27.50  class 156 lima a bit later £37.50.

The wishlists kick-off again. The only thing above that can be truly called modern is the 185 - all the others have been around for 25 years or so. (Even the 91 dates back to the late 1980's).

The APT-E isn't even remotely offering to start filling the "huge gap" as you say, in modern image modelling (how I hate that term) as it's a one-off representation of a relatively short-lived (and not well travelled) prototype. If we never had a model of an APT-E, I doubt that many people would actually miss it. (Having said that, I've ordered one simply because it is the APT-E and represents British Railway Engineering at it's best - and it looks fabulous. It's only the second model that I've committed to that doesn't fit in with my normal modelling plans).

As a D&E modeller, we have to count ourselves fortunate that we do have a reasonable amount of models produced for our era - albeit some are long in the tooth and could do with an upgrade. In percentage terms, how many diesel (and eletcrics) have been modelled as RTR? Then do the same calculation for steam locos. I bet the numbers favour the D&E sector.

As a current day modeller myself, the biggest gaps are not in the loco roster, but the wagon fleet. However, it's been well documented that real profit (and let's not forget, that's what the manufacturers are in business for) is in "glamorous" stuff, such as locos, Blue Pullmans, APT-E's and not a humble bogie box wagon such as a MLA.

Back on-topic, I can fully appreciate Rapido's move into the UK market with the glamorous APT-E (with a very keen price) and after all the wishlisting I've been doing w.r.t. the APT-E, I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered one.

If the APT-E is as good as other Rapido models, then 'll be a happy bunny and hoping that their second UK release will be something more relevant (A Class 156 please!) See - you've got me wishlisting...................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Look at the Dapol n gauge 153,this looks totally wrong on its side and front end views,same goes for its 156 dmu,and its class 86.

how hard is it to get its northern

rail purple used on its class 153 and 156 near to prototype colours.

Railtrack did it right so how can a mass producer of rtr models get things so wrong.

remember the very old Dapol class 150/2 and class 155 they were supposed to be based around the old mtk kits.