The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

How is it going to work properly without any swearing?.......All my other models work better with a bit of effing and jeffing.

I can't put LEGO together without swearing at some point in the proceedings. (Honestly.) Those 1x1 round plates bounce like the springs on DC motor brushes.

At last the big reveal is the APT-E. I have to ask, was anyone surprised?

I think the business terms with free shipping for a full down-payment and a deposit for other orders are fair particularly given that the 'retailer' is a national museum. As discussed, in many threads here on RMweb, pre-ordering is all about trust. I am very confident that Jason and the team at Rapido will meet us more than half-way with lots of pre-release information to digest. This helps build that trust so people can feel confident in placing their order.

Good luck to Jason, Bill and everyone at Rapido in this venture. I wish you every success with it and more to follow.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

Have you all noticed the class 142,153,156 and the very old and poor Dapol ex tooling class 155 has not been available from Hornby for some time in some cases many years, except   the class 153 Anglia version they are doing.

the Heljan class 86 was totally wrong if they got that right im sure it would of been very profitable for them. eg minor retool to class 87.

Bachmann class 150 wrong again with the full motor enclosure but being retooled,going up very expensive but not totally corrected.

Hornby 153 possible wrong roof profile and lower bodyside tumblehome.

and again the class 82 west coast dvt Hornby probably perfect except the ic light gey paint shade.

142 old tooling...dusted off as and when...I thought they had been hawking a version recently? ripe for a new tooling by someone though id say...

153 new model...donr to a budget but new all the same

156 reworked old Lima and again I could swear they have been out and about..body almost a silk purse the underframe well

155 ex Dapol tooling flawed in its original research...back to the undeframe of the 156 ah yes a sows ear.

150 suffered from a big lot of chassis but wrong? its how Bachmann chose to do it, maybe the term should be couldve of done it better, shape wise its a 150 to me?

A DVT aint a class 82 pal...if only someone did.

Now back to the proper purpose of the thread I said hello to PC1 in the NRM in 1978, the next time I felt such a aweeeeeee was during a visit to NASA...

I think I too despite not needing one for any layout will be cracking out the credit card and getting a set.

• Like 2

*snip*

Our biggest challenge with this model is ensuring you can assemble the set the first time without swearing.  We're working on that...

-Jason

Maybe a gob stopper, or an oversized Chuppa Chup, in each box?

Seriously, though - impressive choice of debut; best of luck with it - I'm sure that regardless of our own modelling persuasions, everyone here wishes you success with this project.

• RMweb Premium

A comparison between a late 60's Kestrel and a mid 70's APT-E is ,quite honestly,a meaningless exercise. If we really want this model...and it is on the face of it a desirable item,then we'll buy it,chronology notwithstanding.Kestrel was behind the Iron Curtain and a speck in the memory by the time APTE ran on BR.What will sell is accuracy and quality.Reactions so far on this forum would suggest that that is the way that heads are turning....deservedly so,it must be said.

I'm not sure that it is a meaningless exercise. It's certainly a more interesting post than 'I'm going to buy one'. There's been a genuine attempt to find a comparable niche model and to attempt to make a comparison; difficult I'll admit because one can be picked up and examined and the other is a set of scan data and a manufacturers sound reputation. I find this intriguing and therefore worthwhile.

Another quick question for Jason, as somebody mentioned earlier, it did run as a 3 car set for a while, will it be possible to run the model as a 3 car set or are all the lighting, wiring etc designed around the 4th car being in place? I am presuming that as there is the option to buy extra trailer cars then this won't be an issue, but I will only have room for a 3 car on the new layout hence wanted to check before ordering. Ta.

Just returned from Shildon.[/size]An interesting day with an opportunity to look inside three of the cars - pity my wife pulled rank on the use of our digital camera for grandchildren photos and I had to manage with the phone.[/size]https://www.flickr.com/photos/90963457@ ... 388576443/For those interested in buying, I had lunch alongside a member of Locomotion's board and had a discussion about the philosophy in creating the model. [/size]the Locomotion exclusive editions had made £250,000, (?profit?) for the museum in the last year;[/size]there is a binding contract with Rapido to manufacture the model and it will only be sold under the "Locomotion" brand;[/size]only 250 (?of each version?) will be made;[/size]it will not be made available to other retail outlets;[/size]their marketing method should make sure there are enough pre-orders to ensure the model is actually made.[/size]he knows that by keeping the run small, collectors will pre-order to guarantee they get one and then keep them in display cabinets![/size]By the time I left at 2.00pm, the scan people had images on their laptop screen[/size]IMG_0518_zps723369d1.jpgIf you really want one - order it![/size]Trevor[/size]

250 ? Or 2500?

I cannot imagine tooling costs would support a run of say just 500. I mean 500 * £200 (max) = £50000. If tooling and production is that cheap then I,m opening up my own business!

To the Rapido Team,

Can you answer the numerous people who have asked a very important question:

DO YOU HAVE ANY PLANS TO RELEASE THIS IN N GAUGE??

Sorry to shout, but quite a few people have asked the question in this thread and it's been totally ignored. In OO it's not for me but in N I'd be ordering one straight away.

I wish you luck with this project.

Regards

Neal.

Not a product I'm interested in personally, but I have no doubt it will sell well (particularly at that price) and I look forward to Rapido's next project. I wish them all the best. 

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Premium

To the Rapido Team,

Sorry to shout, but quite a few people have asked the question in this thread and it's been totally ignored. In OO it's not for me but in N I'd be ordering one straight away.

Regards

Neal.

How about giving them time to release their OO model first? It has only just been released, perhaps they will move into n after they see how popular it is in OO?

To the Rapido Team,

Regards

Neal.

I don't believe there are any plans on the table straight away but if Locomotion could be convinced there'd be sufficient demand I'm sure they wouldn't shy away from it. First of all both parties have to make sure there's sufficient OO demand, early indications are that it's very much in demand.

(Just to ease the pressure on Jason until he's actually got more to time to respond to questions).

• Like 4

I'll take a look at that when I get back to the office.

Also, I notice that the website adds £7.50 postage when ordering the extra trailers (which have to be paid for in advance) - does this mean that  the £10 postage would be added on top of this if you pre-order the full set with the £50 deposit.

Also, if you order a deposit-based full set, would it be possible to include the extra trailers within this deposit, rather than pay in advance?

Just a thought while you're looking at the website!

Thanks

Also, I notice that the website adds £7.50 postage when ordering the extra trailers (which have to be paid for in advance) - does this mean that  the £10 postage would be added on top of this if you pre-order the full set with the £50 deposit.

Also, if you order a deposit-based full set, would it be possible to include the extra trailers within this deposit, rather than pay in advance?

Just a thought while you're looking at the website!

Thanks

Hi all

Just got back in the office and processing all the orders from overnight.  I will get to look at the postage issue today and I'll post a reply on here tonight.

The model has started off extremely well, haven't counted up yet but it's going like hot cakes!  We will have a sample for Warley so you will all have to call by and say hello and have a look at what can be yours next year!!

To answer someone elses question - sorry can't remember who it was - we hope to do 750 of each model.  All will come with certificates (not the trailing car) I think the sound version will sell out first as that seems to be the one everyone is going for.  We will be able to do a few more to satisfy demand but not 1000s of them!

If we do an exclusive model we like it to be just that.

Shout if you want to know anything else

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

...We will be able to do a few more to satisfy demand but not 1000s of them!

If we do an exclusive model we like it to be just that.

:(

Counts me out then, as I don't think there will be many left if there's only 750 or so per set.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't got funds for a purchase or deposit now, and I'm not likely to have for some time. If the number to be made is sufficiently low, then they will have run out well before the (notional) time I have the cash to splash.

Edited by Ian J.

Well, this is certainly an interesting project, and one which I am considering seriously. I'm currently a non DCC guy, but am well aware that eventually, I will stray down the path of digital, so I'm remotes by the sound version as it's really good value considering the amount of bang for your buck. My only concern is that the sounds are stated to be from archive footage and I suspect that some of that will be hard to come by in a reasonable enough quality to be used in a sound chip. Am I wrong in this and will the size of the speakers lessen the effect of the aged sound recordings, or is there a way of cleaning them up and creating the missing noises from those available?

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

I haven't got funds for a purchase or deposit now, and I'm not likely to have for some time. If the number to be made is sufficiently low, then they will have run out well before the (notional) time I have the cash to splash.

I'm the same...

I don't think anyone has posted these APT-E videos from YouTube yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1TJ_nn5z6o

Jump to 1:02 on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9rBcSZb3bE

Not a model for me personally, but I'll be interested to watch its development.  And there's always the possibility of other Rapido UK models in the future if this sells well

• Like 1

OT a bit but love that with the HST prototype "the kitchen will be fitted with a microwave oven for rapid service" something we take for granted now

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before this thread is overtaken by wishlisting it might pay for folk to consider what is happening.  Rapido are entering the UK market via the 'NRM Exclusive' range thus anything which might happen next might be marketed in the same manner, and that means whatever it is will have to be part of the National Collection (which gives bags of choice of course).  Alternatively - as we have already seen - Rapido have already produced something for a British company but it is not sold under their name.

Thus Jason now has a choice - assuming he wants one of course - because so far he has very carefully spread his risk and hedged his bets in the British market and at this stage that strikes me as a very wise approach as we can be an extremely fickle bunch.   If his NRM association, for the APT-E,  works out and achieves the success it deserves, that might well encourage further developments for the 'NRM Exclusive' business.  Equally he already has a hit on his hands as a third party manufacturer and that approach might also continue for all we know.  

And no doubt he might even be 'open to offers' from other commssioners but let's please keep this thread for what it's all about the Rapido/NRM Exclusive APT-E.

Now the big decision for me is whether or not to buy one - it fits my (only) 'collecting' area as an NRM Exclusive but that's about it so it's currently thinking time for me as it is so good technically that it is almost irresistible.  And buying this one might help encourage something else to come to the NRM Exclusive range from the Rapido stable (and I know precisely what I have in mind).

Well, this is certainly an interesting project, and one which I am considering seriously. I'm currently a non DCC guy, but am well aware that eventually, I will stray down the path of digital, so I'm remotes by the sound version as it's really good value considering the amount of bang for your buck. My only concern is that the sounds are stated to be from archive footage and I suspect that some of that will be hard to come by in a reasonable enough quality to be used in a sound chip. Am I wrong in this and will the size of the speakers lessen the effect of the aged sound recordings, or is there a way of cleaning them up and creating the missing noises from those available?

I'm quite confident that the sounds will be fit for purpose as, although I'm guessing who may be involved, there's a good line of contacts I can see being involved and archive footage may not be the sole source.

My order will be going in on payday which is Friday ( I don't do credit cards, only pay with what I have) for the DC version so hope there will be some of the proposed 750 left. Also hoping that the follow up model will be the APT itself , now that would be sweet!

To the Rapido Team,

Regards

Neal.

As a child I used to do the old trick of put an empty crisp packet in a warm oven and watch it shrink.

The APT will be plastic, if you put it into an oven for just the right time...........   :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...The model has started off extremely well, haven't counted up yet but it's going like hot cakes! 

To answer someone elses question - sorry can't remember who it was - we hope to do 750 of each model.  All will come with certificates (not the trailing car) I think the sound version will sell out first as that seems to be the one everyone is going for.  We will be able to do a few more to satisfy demand but not 1000s of them!

If this is the case can you keep us informed of the numbers that have been ordered. I really dont want to have to sell anything to get my preorder in but I just cannot afford it right now and really don't want to miss the boat on this.

Steve