The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Have to say that although I won't be ordering one it is an exciting event for a newcomer to the UK market such as Rapido to jump in like this with such enthusiasm. I really hope it's a great success (looks like it will be) and we see many more models from them. Wonderfully refreshing interaction with the public too! Loving it. Now, about those steam engines..................

After carefull consideration I will be preordering one of these gems Friday

Rule Book 5

Page 127

Paragraph 7

Subsection B

Delete as appropriate

It is my (model railway/train set/layout) the loco I am purchasing (fits into my layout/has time travelled forward in time/erm the wizards have been around) and will give me many hours of running (prototypically/In my wildest dreams) so nnaaaaahhhhh

• Like 7

• Administrators

If you really MUST have an N gauge APT-E, there was one to be seen at Shildon.

N gauge APT-E.jpg

This part-built model is from the gifted fingers of Kit Spackman - "Mr Tilt" himself. Started a long while ago, the rest of the train is nothing more than plasticard parts waiting for him to figure out how to power the thing. The tiny body profile makes fitting a drive system in quite a challenge. At present power is a continental bogie mated with an ECM motor - that shows how long ago he started this!

Don't think the tliting system has been installed yet or any idea how many decades it will be before the model is finished. And no, it wasn't for sale.

• Like 7

First of all both parties have to make sure there's sufficient OO demand, early indications are that it's very much in demand.

(Just to ease the pressure on Jason until he's actually got more to time to respond to questions).

Why do they have to see if there's sufficient demand in OO first??? As you say, early indications are it's very much in demand, and I believe an N Gauge version would be as well.

Bachmann didn't when they released the Blue Pullman, they released it in both OO and N at the same time, and, AFAIK, the N gauge one sold out almost immediately, with the exception of the Yellow fronted one which is still readily available in both scales.....

Sorry Andy, but I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity for us N Gaugers, being treated as the poor relation, yet again....... Why can't someone release something in N first and then OO??......

Regards

Neal.

Why can't someone release something in N first and then OO??......

Farish have done that.

I wouldn't say any manufacturer treats N gauge modellers as a poor relation but the fact is that, generally, the market potential is around 20% of that which OO is so if, guesstimating, the total market for an APT is 3,000 then the likely market for an N gauge model may be 600 and that may not be sufficient to justify the design, tooling and manufacture.

Looking back at the wishlist votes from 2013 135 voted for the APT-E in OO and 23 did in N (17% of OO voters). Bearing in mind quantities that have been discussed above for the size of OO run (roughly 10 times the wishlist sample) would 230-250 APT-Es be a viable run?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Just got back in the office and processing all the orders from overnight.  I will get to look at the postage issue today and I'll post a reply on here tonight.

The model has started off extremely well, haven't counted up yet but it's going like hot cakes!  We will have a sample for Warley so you will all have to call by and say hello and have a look at what can be yours next year!!

To answer someone elses question - sorry can't remember who it was - we hope to do 750 of each model.  All will come with certificates (not the trailing car) I think the sound version will sell out first as that seems to be the one everyone is going for.  We will be able to do a few more to satisfy demand but not 1000s of them!

If we do an exclusive model we like it to be just that.

Shout if you want to know anything else

Cheers

I am led to believe there is no limit on orders and all orders placed before end of april will be honoured (subject to a max of 2 per person)

Locomotion at Shildon has indicated that there is a limit

• RMweb Gold

Why do they have to see if there's sufficient demand in OO first??? As you say, early indications are it's very much in demand, and I believe an N Gauge version would be as well.

Bachmann didn't when they released the Blue Pullman, they released it in both OO and N at the same time, and, AFAIK, the N gauge one sold out almost immediately, with the exception of the Yellow fronted one which is still readily available in both scales.....

Sorry Andy, but I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity for us N Gaugers, being treated as the poor relation, yet again....... Why can't someone release something in N first and then OO??......

Regards

Neal.

Bachman are,in fact,doing just that with their Farish airsmoothed Merchant Navy....lucky you,then....

Jason announced his GMD-1 in 'HO' and very quickly responded to demand by announcing an 'N' gauge version. However, N gauge modellers must understand that a launch into the UK 'OO' market is a big risk and a launch into the UK 'N' market is that risk times 10. I know I keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, but the 'N' gauge market is one tenth that of the 'OO' market but the costs of producing an 'N' gauge model are even higher, due to the microscopic size of some of the parts. Any number of 'N' gauge APT-Es could be a viable run if modellers are prepared to pay enough but I suspect that the market would want them at around the same price as the 'OO' model and I can't see any way that a manufacturer would find that worthwhile for a couple of hundred sales. 

The Farish air-smoothed 'Merchant Navy' is a little different. It's a replacement for an old model which had a proven track record of sales despite being a poor model. It's not the same 'shot in the dark' as APT-E would be and we don't even know yet whether the 'OO' version will be a commercial success. The signs are good, the early orders are good, but I think we should all allow Rapido to walk before we ask them to run...

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

Hi all

Can't remember which thread I was on so I have posted on both

Apologies that I haven't had a minute to look at postage today. Orders are coming in so fast and I have to be sure I have them in the right order for the certificates.

It is my priority tomorrow to have a postage response for you

Cheers

I don't think anyone has posted these APT-E videos from YouTube yet:

Jump to 1:02 on this one:

Thanks for sharing the videos, the second one is great and I can only hope that the funky music in the background of the APT section I'd included as a function on the sound chip! I can imagine it thundering round my yet to be built roundy-round to the funky electro sounds!

We've had the noise of station announcers, loco Cree chatting, even bacon frying on a shovel, so why not! I know there are those who would moan that it's unnecessary and the task thing never made the noise, but this whole hobby is supposed to be enjoyable isn't it? And if you don't wave to hear the funk, just don't use the function!

One can hope!

Cheers

J

I can only hope that the funky music in the background of the APT section I'd included as a function on the sound chip! I can imagine it thundering round my yet to be built roundy-round to the funky electro sounds!

For the love of all things 70s just No! ;)

Apparently some Rapido products with sounds have some unusual 'easter eggs' hidden away so I'd be wary of discovering 'Mouldy Old Dough' and 'Rubber Bullets' when looking for flange squeal.

• RMweb Gold

Is there any information on what type of decoder will be fitted to this model?  Also is the DC version, DCCready. I ask because, although I have ordered a DCC sound version, I am now wondering if I should go for the DC version instead and fit good quality Lenz Gold decoder(s). I am not really interested in the sound, but would of course want to have control of all the lighting functions.

Thanks

Colin

Thanks for sharing the videos, the second one is great and I can only hope that the funky music in the background of the APT section I'd included as a function on the sound chip! I can imagine it thundering round my yet to be built roundy-round to the funky electro sounds!

Have a dig on youtube for Jean Jacques Perrey... you'll find plenty of odd moog based cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKI8GY69lyU

• RMweb Premium

. I mean 500 * £200 (max) = £50000. If tooling and production is that cheap then I,m opening up my own business!

If that's an example of your maths, then I hope your own business is twice as good and not half bad................ :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Anyone do a model of Kit Spackman in 4mm?

A

Might take some doing to recreate the prototype's hair of the time so I doubt we'll see a R-T-R Kit (did I really just type that?) And when it comes to taking pieces of other figures to make a Mr Spackman... please don't say it.

• Like 1

For the love of all things 70s just No! ;)

Apparently some Rapido products with sounds have some unusual 'easter eggs' hidden away so I'd be wary of discovering 'Mouldy Old Dough' and 'Rubber Bullets' when looking for flange squeal.

Would 'Bad Motor Scooter' by Montrose perhaps float your boat?

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy.  Is that one decoder altogether, or one in each power car?

The original TurboTrain done by Rapido has a decoder in each end car which simplifies the wiring between each car. Hopefully Rapido will do the same for the APT-E and have it set up that one engine starts up and shuts down before the other. Sounds great that way.

Keith