Fancy a Budd, Jason?

dibber25

Since this is headed RAPIDO TRAINS, I figure it's OK to put stuff on here that's not just about Rapido's UK release? If it isn't, the mods can perhaps move it to the US/Canadian section.

A while back, when I was pondering whether Rapido's entry into the UK market might spoil things for us Canadian-outline modellers, there was some discussion about the shortage of North American prototypes for Rapido to tackle.

I have to agree. However, there is one item which - as a fan of all things DMU - I would love to see done to 2015 standards by Rapido - the Budd RDC. Huge opportunity, surely? 

Large number built

Widely used in the US and Canada (and elsewhere)

Two main front end styles

Lots of detail everywhere

Loads of potential liveries

.....and only the dated (and not even DCC-ready) Walthers model (plus some very old Japanese 'brass' jobs).

How about a Budd, Jason?

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

.....and only the dated (and not even DCC-ready) Walthers model (plus some very old Japanese 'brass' jobs).

I have one of each. The Walthers one has never left the box, and the NJI brass one runs like a whiney three legged dog. The market looks wide open to me. 

Having climbed over 2 last year near Vancouver and a few years previously in Fort Worth, I'd love to make one of these.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm its one of the models for the Canadian market I'm close to being commissioned to produce.

Cheers

Dave

I'm with Chris on this. A couple of RDC1s in CP would do me nicely. One in stripey face and one in hockey mask. The Walther's model is the old Proto and is getting close to 20 years old now.

I'm with Chris on this. A couple of RDC1s in CP would do me nicely. One in stripey face and one in hockey mask. The Walther's model is the old Proto and is getting close to 20 years old now.

I'm not sure how many Walthers ones I've got - especially if you include the one I botched Athearn cab fronts onto. I don't like talking about 'gaps in the market' but this must be one Heck of an open goal. Even England could score and whilst it would be great if DJM did it I'm guessing Rapido has easier access to the North American market.......of course it wouldn't be the first time this hobby had duplication and that might make life really interesting for us but less profitable for both parties. I could see myself taking as many as six - BC Rail, CP Rail, Alaska RR - not to mention a NYC one to stick a couple of jet engines on top of!!

CHRIS LEIGH

Is that the John Street roundhouse? I noticed in the LRC start-up video that one of the cars your guys were shunting around was 6148, ex Vancouver Island car. That would certainly be one that I would want as I've ridden on it several times. I want to ride the Sudbury-White River but like most of Canada's trains, it is inaccessible and would take nearly a week to do an out and back trip with overnight stays, flights etc. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Is that the John Street roundhouse? I noticed in the LRC start-up video that one of the cars your guys were shunting around was 6148, ex Vancouver Island car. That would certainly be one that I would want as I've ridden on it several times. I want to ride the Sudbury-White River but like most of Canada's trains, it is inaccessible and would take nearly a week to do an out and back trip with overnight stays, flights etc. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Nope, Spadina shops, ex CNR and currently a parking lot  for Skydome IIRC. John Street was the CPR roundhouse and located near the concrete coaling tower to be found in the top left hand corner of Jason's pic.

HTH

David

Yes, I get it now. Thought I wasn't quite right. It all looks so different without the 'mistake on the lake' and so many tall buildings.

Actually the 'mistake on the lake' was the old Exhibition Stadium where the Blue Jays and Argos played before moving to Skydome.

Veering back on topic, well railways anyhow, Spadina was a nice place to visit as long as you checked in an signed a release first. You were then given a hard hat and allowed to wander about. Mind you, this was all back in the '70s so a very different attitude. Interesting to note the Ontario Northland FP7a and the special Tempo Train RS 18 in the picture plus the MLW S13 and the FPA4s in both CN and VIA schemes. Those were the days, sigh....

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

How many bodies will be needed? There are 4 configurations from all passenger to all baggage/mail times the 2 stylings. (not sure if all configs in both styles).

And the RDC4s were shorter.

And the RDC9 or 5 -- no cabs.

The Roger Williams -- different bodyside style plus F-unit cabs on the end cars.

Don't forget the Athearn models. Shorties, but the rubber-band drive made them shake like the prototype.

Spadina roundhouse: I always thought the turntable pit became the visiting team's showers.

post-6938-0-25358000-1403405984.jpg

Edited by BR60103

There were many variations including different sized front windows.

Yes, and different rood domes (early or late style) and with or without wrap-round stainless steel fluting on the ends. The RDC4 would need a completely different set of tools as it requires a shorter chassis. Otherwise the three main body styles would need three different sets of side tools plus at least two different ends - I'm guessing that would give more than enough variants to keep most modellers happy. Then, of course, there are the recent VIA refurbishments, with only one cab, disabled access lifts and all manner of mods.......

CHRIS LEIGH

Don't forget the Athearn models. Shorties, but the rubber-band drive made them shake like the prototype.

I have a dummy one that I did a conversion job on, using a SPUD to power it - the weight of the car tamed the spud quite nicely!

Jack 1 - Jack-rabbits Nil!

Edited by shortliner

I have a dummy one that I did a conversion job on, using a SPUD to power it - the weight of the car tamed the spud quite nicely!

Jack 1 - Jack-rabbits Nil!

Yes, I started with that system to get rid of the rubber band drive on Athearn cars. The mechanism on the Walthers cars is OK but not DCC ready, while the body is only suitable for the original cars and I modelled BC Rail which only had the later type.

CHRIS LEIGH

Here's my Ahern one. Had it a long time, got it from Victors when they were in Pentonville Road near Islington. It was the only kid on the block then.  It took years to finally track one down as I think they only got made in small batches.  It has a replacement transmission with a geared bogie that drives both axles, came as a kit for the  RDC  but don't now know who made it.  Had originally intended to repaint it into CP rail livery  but never got round to it.

There is something addictive about RDCs.

post-4032-0-20613300-1403460190_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's one (Life Like proto 1000) to a rather higher standard than the Ahern model.  I managed to buy this one recently after a tip off from AndrewC  who'd spotted it for sale - thanks again.  Not a bad model imho, Doesn't have  headlight and chains across end doors - easy enough to rectify though. Arrival of grand daughter has put micro Canadian layout idea on back burner for a while but it does run very well round my (BR era) loft layout.  It's been sitting in a display case next to my computer since I got it, so a very satisfying model. Now, if there was a very well detailed RDC model as the next step........

edit to add manufacturer

post-4032-0-99776700-1403461150.jpg

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 3

I didn't know John Ahern built RDC models. Athearn folks was the manufacturer.  

Anyway to add to the variety I would commend the SP rebuild of the Budd Car from the NWP after an unfortunate altercation with a logging truck. A true one off. 

I didn't know John Ahern built RDC models. Athearn folks was the manufacturer.  

Anyway to add to the variety I would commend the SP rebuild of the Budd Car from the NWP after an unfortunate altercation with a logging truck. A true one off. 

Whoops, Athearn it is, comes of doing things in a hurry!  (Although if John Ahern had build Canadian stock I'm sure they would have looked fine on the Madder Valley :-) )

And the awful triang model with huge flanges,,,,I remember them being dumped with other Canadian Triang stuff in a UK chain of toy shops early 80s selling with F units for £5ea and freight cars for 75p!!

Might it have been Hobbytown of Boston?

Possibly, I went looking for the box the drive kit came in,  think I'd come across it some time ago but haven't found it yet. Being intrigued by this I took the Athearn rdc body off. There are no markings on the bogie drive  but here's a picture of it.  A train of gears run to each axle from the worm drive at the top which uses the existing carden shaft from the motor.  The Athearn wheels, which are a wheel on a stub axle then just plug into the lowest gear muff.  Works ok, much better than the weird rubber band drive (shades of Lone Star).  It was easy enough to put together and runs well although the rdc only gets an occasional run   on a "run things that don't fit in with the layout" session!

The transmission would be useful for other projects as well (one bogie drive with large central motor) but I guess a spud or black beetle etc. would do fine. If I find the box/instructions with the maker's name I'll post back on this.

post-4032-0-65814200-1403517664.jpg

• Like 1