Fancy a Budd, Jason?

dibber25

That little car replaced a loco-hauled coach with a log-burner, which the school kids who use it had named "Budd Wiser". Lillooet's smart new passenger station had a very short working life as the passenger service ended (except for the native school train) when BCRail ended. Prior to the new station there was a lovely old wooden building served by orange and green RDCs - which I shall hope to model in due course. (CJL)

• 1 year later...

I should of kept abreast of this model and pre-ordered - but I didn't!

Where (or how) can one be purchased in the UK?

Rapido are at York I believe - I guess asking them to bring one to the show is probably being a tad optimistic?

Edited by Ross34

Rapido are at York I believe - I guess asking them to bring one to the show is probably being a tad optimistic?

First runs all long gone. The last of the current batch of orders have yet to arrive in the UK. Sometime in the next week I've been told. None of the U.K. Based stockists of North American HO have them listed. I know Model Junction advertised pre orders but don't show any in stock. Some Canadian retailers may have stock but I haven't seen any listed at my usual sources.

First runs all long gone. The last of the current batch of orders have yet to arrive in the UK. Sometime in the next week I've been told. None of the U.K. Based stockists of North American HO have them listed. I know Model Junction advertised pre orders but don't show any in stock. Some Canadian retailers may have stock but I haven't seen any listed at my usual sources.

There were a good few on Ebay Canada last time I looked, but you get caught for whopping postage and - if you're unlucky - VAT and Post Office charges, too. (CJL)

There were a good few on Ebay Canada last time I looked, but you get caught for whopping postage and - if you're unlucky - VAT and Post Office charges, too. (CJL)

No good for Ross but it could work for me to get a second one. I'd just get it shipped to MiL in Canada and pick it up in June.

If the postage seems really stupid, I'd be happy to remail from within Canada.  But be aware, Canada Post's rates are fairly high...so it might not be the reseller trying to gorge you on the P&P.

(it would look like about $60 CAD/35 UKP to ship one to the UK, unless it goes small packet, in which case it is 1/2 that)

James

• Like 1

Ross. I think INVICTA might have an odd one or two? 

I preordered with Gaugemaster, but they then cancelled the order saying that Rapido weren't making them!. As I was skint at the time I didn't order anywhere else, a bit richer now so I ended up having to pay over the odds on eBay. Not going to use Gaugemaster again.

However I am very pleased with it, trouble is, unlike some RRs that used them singly, the MBTA used them in trains of 4 or 5...

post-6836-0-40604800-1489180912_thumb.jpg

Test run on the Midland mainline somewhere in the midlands on the Clay Cross Model Railway Society layout. Ghetto grills not required in this area

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2017/post-6958-0-21635600-1485384433.jpg

Unfortunately SP version sold out at Rapido as soon as announced.

Note Lend Lease program in action as I only have Padstow layout to pose my SP models on.

That's impossible.  Rapido only builds to order.  The order books were open for months on these.  Once the order book is closed, they only produce what was pre-ordered.  If you want a Rapido model, you have to preorder.

That's impossible.  Rapido only builds to order.  The order books were open for months on these.  Once the order book is closed, they only produce what was pre-ordered.  If you want a Rapido model, you have to preorder.

Or you can scour various US/Canadian retailers that have stocked them. I've used both of these:

http://www.cvrco.com/index.htm

http://www.ovrtrains.com/home.php

Both had stock, though some road names and numbers are probably gone. I pre-ordered from CVRCO, and impulse bought one from Otter Valley just recently. Of course, as I'm in Canada it's fairly easy, so you'd have to ask them if they ship to the UK. In both cases the prices are far better than EBay though.

Ross. I think INVICTA might have an odd one or two? 

Some here:

http://www.hogtrainz.com/RAPIDORDC.html

and here (i know they ship pretty much anywhere)

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/rapido/rapido-ho-engines/

Thanks for the responses and tips.

Looks like I'll have to be quick and snap one up from INVICTA.

I actually wanted one of these...

http://rapidotrains.com/ho-scale-absolute-rdc-project-notch-8/

but I imagine they were gone before the paint was dry...

Plus P+P from Australia is prohibitive - well actually its not "that" bad - its the bl++dy import tax the UK slaps on it that makes it expensive - not forgetting the "admin charge" !

Looking forward to receiving my Phase 2 VIA RDC. Always fancied a small layout in HO so this became an excuse for a prototypical rake... eg 1 coach :D

Detail is truly stunning from the photos I've seen online, no bad remarks at all. Wouldn't mind a Canadian pacific version at some point. Few places still have stock in the USA.

Would any of you who have already received your RDC, be kind enough to provide me with some measurements of the overall height of the model? Going to start looking at bridge kits so want to make sure it will fit!

Thanks

Would any of you who have already received your RDC, be kind enough to provide me with some measurements of the overall height of the model? Going to start looking at bridge kits so want to make sure it will fit!

Thanks

I should be able to help you tomorrow. I believe my three are sitting in Oundle Post Office.I was out when Parcelforce called. (CJL)

Thanks

You'll need 60mm from the railhead to be sure of safe clearance. Might get away with a mm or two less if you have to, but I wouldn't risk it. Some Budd cars have extended exhaust pipes, though I don't think Rapido has modelled any of these yet.  (CJL)

You'll need 60mm from the railhead to be sure of safe clearance. Might get away with a mm or two less if you have to, but I wouldn't risk it. Some Budd cars have extended exhaust pipes, though I don't think Rapido has modelled any of these yet.  (CJL)

You get a baggie of exhaust pipes included with the model.