Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Guest Isambarduk

"Though Ixion's Hudswell Clarke's are looking tempting........"

... and there is so much that you can/could do to them :-) [see http://www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm or http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke/?p=1001446  if you've not already seen it before; my apologies if you have.]  Go on, be tempted!    David

"Though Ixion's Hudswell Clarke's are looking tempting........"

... and there is so much that you can/could do to them :-) [see http://www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm or http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke/?p=1001446  if you've not already seen it before; my apologies if you have.]  Go on, be tempted!    David

I almost succumbed to a Hudswell Clarke while I'm waiting, but my self-control is still intact. They may have run on light railways, but not on the Kent & East Sussex, and I'd have to backdate it anyway, adding to my growing to-do list!

Just a thought - is anyone else (who is awaiting the Dapol Terrier) finding that they like to buy RTR locomotives and personalise them, and focus more on building wagon and coach kits?

I'm really into kit building, bashing and scratch-building wagons and things, but I hesitate with locomotive kits, because I know that I'm the type who will not want to model a "bog standard" version of the kit, but will want to tamper with everything at every stage. At least with RTR locomotives, they work, and any changes are purely cosmetic!

I'm hoping my K&ESR Terrier won't need anything at all done to it, except maybe change the couplings. My plan is that it's the only 7mm RTR loco I ever buy, and I become brilliant at scratchbuilding everything else I want! 7mm rolling stock kits are too expensive, so if I can't get them cheap on eBay, the plan is to scratchbuild that too! Of course what I plan, and what actually happens, may differ :jester:.

Guest Isambarduk

"At least with RTR locomotives, they work, and any changes are purely cosmetic!"

I can think of exceptions :-) David

Just received this from Hattons in reply to a request for an ETA for the Terrier:

"Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us today.

I believe the O Gauge Terriers have been delayed due to issues with the packaging causing damage to the models.

I am not completely aware on the revised release date but I believe it will be towards the end of the year I'm afraid.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,"

MMmmm ...

More problems, blinking heck!

First its electrical problems but they'll be here by August/September...OK fair enough cant helped it is their 1st O gauge model.. now its packaging issues!

As long as they still honour the 1st batch price I suppose we'll have to wait. Xmas present then.....hopefully!

Great Western

Just received this from Hattons in reply to a request for an ETA for the Terrier:

"Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us today.

I believe the O Gauge Terriers have been delayed due to issues with the packaging causing damage to the models.

I am not completely aware on the revised release date but I believe it will be towards the end of the year I'm afraid.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,"

MMmmm ...

What a load of rubbish.

Its only a model train but..........

We are told that models are on the boat due to arrive this month, and early next for the second batch. Now it seems they haven't even left China?

Or have they reached Dapol in the UK and been found to be damaged during shipping?

There are much more important things in life sure, but we are customers (maybe) and deserve clear and accurate information.

If brought a new car I wouldn't expect being messed about with delivery dates being chopped and changed almost weekly.

I've got circa £350 tied up with these models so it would be nice to know what is going on and when I'm to expect them. I was working to early September now it looks like Xmas maybe ?

They better be bloody worth it Dapol !

Great Western

• RMweb Premium

A bit galling for those with one or more ordered from the first batch....after the other delays. Presumably there are some lightly injured Terriers either in China or UK.

Having received Ixion and Heljan locos from China tightly packed in 4 piece foam inserts in stout card boxes, packing them is not rocket science as they say. 

No update yet from Tower Models who may be more definitive.

Dava

No info but the wording of the Hattons reply suggests the production batch has reached Chirk and been rejected.

It would be nice to know definitely.

Les

As an extra thought the number of "Not Quite Perfect" N-gauge 9Fs and Westerns on sale to club members last October rather suggested they were examining everything before sending out to dealers.  The 9Fs I bought had nothing wrong with them other than stray blobs of paint and someone picked up a Western that was perfect apart from a glue mark on the windscreen.

Edited by Les1952

No info but the wording of the Hattons reply suggests the production batch has reached Chirk and been rejected.

It would be nice to know definitely.

Les

I which case, does that mean there's hope that the second batch may arrive in one piece? Or rather each loco in the batch arrive in one piece!

• Like 1

Dapol would do well to stop promising delivery dates that change every month. It would be better customer relations to stop promising a delivery date at all, as no promises are far better than broken promises.

The Terrier is now set to miss my Father's birthday on Sunday. Pretty poor considering one of their many promised delivery dates had it set to be his Christmas present last year. I'm now actively investigating other RTR O gauge loco options for him as waiting for a Dapol Terrier is growing tiresome.

• Like 1

After reading this topic I decided to get intouch with Dapol and ask them what is happening. I received a very quick reply from Kevin Grindley, Sale admin Manager.

Hello John

Thank you for your email.  The first 3 Terriers 7s-010-003, 004 & -005 should be here by the end of the month all being well.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

So there you have it straight from Dapol, so i hope this helps answer all our questions about delivery.

Thank you Kevin for your quick responce.

After reading this topic I decided to get intouch with Dapol and ask them what is happening. I received a very quick reply from Kevin Grindley, Sale admin Manager.

Hello John

Thank you for your email.  The first 3 Terriers 7s-010-003, 004 & -005 should be here by the end of the month all being well.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

So there you have it straight from Dapol, so i hope this helps answer all our questions about delivery.

Thank you Kevin for your quick responce.

Not really as we have had many similar statements regarding delivery in the past, the last stating 2nd week in August (this week!) and "should be here by the end of the month all being well" does not fill me with confidence I am afraid ...

Given that it is still only 4 weeks since "They're on the boat" Kevin Grindley's date of "end of the month all being well" is entirely consistent with that.

Add in a couple of weeks for delays in Customs clearance as a container with a mixed consignment doesn't get released until all of its contents have been cleared no matter how fast the first item's paperwork is checked.  Anyone complaining before the middle of September probably hasn't reasonable grounds.

This also accords with Kernow's "on the boat" for their first 02 with an expected release date of around 25th September.

Hattons' statement seems to been verified by Dr Who.....

Just a thought

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1