Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Perhaps that's the 'retro fit' interference suppression that was added.

Mine is on the way, looks great!

N

Completely wrong! This is the pcb with the firebox glow/flicker LEDs.

It is held loosely inside the body with some double-sided tape.

This looks a little garish, but is another nice feature for an incredibly priced model. Mine is the Southern loco, and apart from a loose sandbox, it was perfect. No instructions though?!

Note that the smokebox glow works on function 1. Runs fine on defaults with a Gaugemaster Omni.

V. Happy

Neal

No instructions though?!

The loco I got had a cardboard sleeve round the outer box, with the printed instructions slipped between this and the box, but I guess if the retailer removed the cardboard sleeve then the isntructions are long gone ...

Forgot to mention that my Southern Terrier arrived today and apart from a couple of inward pointing buffers, which were loose and could be straightened, seemed undamaged ... I was a little surprised at how small the locomotive seemed, but having seen W8 'Freshwater' next to the Adams O2 'Calbourne' at Havenstreet, I guess I should not have been ....

Forgot to mention that my Southern Terrier arrived today and apart from a couple of inward pointing buffers, which were loose and could be straightened, seemed undamaged ... I was a little surprised at how small the locomotive seemed, but having seen W8 'Freshwater' next to the Adams O2 'Calbourne' at Havenstreet, I guess I should not have been ....

You might find that a couple of bumps and those buffers may well fall off.

Their size is very small.  Its interesting seeing the terriers and P up against the Bowaters Bagnalls at the SKLR ... the narrow guage loco looks bigger!  perfect for micro layouts.

A good few years ago I had a video loop that I showed to A-level physics students showing vibration of electronic components. These were filmed with "new" small cameras - shows how many years ago it was....

One showed inside a radio fitted in an aircraft, the other inside a radio travelling inside a shipping container.  Both were absolutely horrendous.  Different bits of the radio vibrated at different dimes, and very violently as the part reached its fundamental frequency.  It did leave me wondering how any part of an aircraft managed to survive even one flight- and with a strong urge never to buy electronic equipment shipped from the Far East (though the latter is nearly impossible these days).

I'm wondering if these parts found loose in the box are push-fit parts that have been vibrated out of their sockets by the several weeks of transit on the ship.

Just a thought.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Or not quite secured during assembly which with such a repetitive job must be very easy to miss a spot of glue every now and then. Quality control only ever hits a sample ;)

Lgb were shipping coaches with seized roller bearing axles and locos with half kg weights loose inside when they opened a new factory and gave them production target bonuses to meet. The weights destroyed the electronics and cracked the body in transit.

!!Joke alert !! ;)

I suspect the vibration required to undo six screws and turn the rods the wrong way round must be a humdinger of a resonant frequency ;)

Getting quite excited now 'George' my Interlink driver, is less than an hour away from delivering both my shiny new tap and water filter thingy and my Terrier, so the missus won't even notice I've bought it. Downside is I'll have to fit the tap before I can start to play.

Peter

I've seen a post on the GOG website that Tower are telling people to go and see Dapol at Telford to complain..........hmmmmmmm.

Great move.  That'll really encourage Dapol to stick with O gauge.

I'm very glad I walked away from that organisation. 

• Like 1

My Brighton arrived yesterday morning, sound fitted by lunchtime. Quite an easy job, but the included speaker enclosure is the usual joke attempt - it has two huge holes which reduce it to 'cradle' staus rather then an enclosure.

No sweat, fitted something better.

The packaging from Hattons was good and showed no signs of damage. The Dapol box is unmarked externally. When I lifted the lid, the loco was at a 'jaunty angle' within the plastic insert.

When I removed the loco, the reason for this was clear. The tray supporting the loco, similar to 00 gauge current practice, was broken. The mass of the loco, or the momentum when it may have been dropped, was too high for the packaging to remain intact.

However, the loco was undamaged and nothing had fallen off. So, apart from not being able to re-box it satisfactorily, it can be said that the packaging worked.

It's a shame that Dapol did not make provision for a PluX22 decoder as originally announced and have not provided traces on the loco PCB to access all the Function Outputs available on the decoder. These things are easily sorted at the design stage and cost a few pence only. This would save modellers' time, effort and apprehension in having to rectify this later. 

All this might seem a bit negative, but my overall experience is one of joy. The model is delightful, even my long suffering wife said so. There may be faults in certain authenticity aspects that experts will spot, but for me it is a triumph. A great loco in an iconic livery which runs very well and is very easy to fit DCC and straightforward to instal sound.

With my own sound project on a ZIMO MX644D, the price of the loco and postage, the total cost came in at around £240. For an 0 gauge sound-fitted model. That would give many 00 gauge models a run for their money.

Can't wait for the Minerva Peckett now.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2

Getting quite excited now 'George' my Interlink driver, is less than an hour away from delivering both my shiny new tap and water filter thingy and my Terrier, so the missus won't even notice I've bought it. Downside is I'll have to fit the tap before I can start to play.

Peter

Pete,

You gone very quiet. Stop playing and fix that tap!

Paul

Great move.  That'll really encourage Dapol to stick with O gauge.

I'm very glad I walked away from that organisation.

If a trader is telling people to complain to the manufacturer direct for faulty goods then quite what has that got to do with the Guild? It's like someone passing on the same comment through RMWeb and an ex-RMWebber saying they're glad they left here. Pointless comment.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the packaging designer!

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

I was told the Terriers were air freighted in as the delays were becoming a joke! More vibration? I used to work on ships and know the way shipping containers can take a knock or three!

My two are both in perfect knick!

Yes there are a few historical inaccuracies - front of tank lubricators, there should be 4 lamp irons at the rear, the coupling socket is a later addition and the cab gauges are for BR type locos not LBSCR; but that is nothing compared to the basic accuracy of the rest of the loco, the fabulous livery application and the price!

I am well satisfied and am getting on with a few early coaches to pull behind them.

Well done Dapol!!!

Cheers

Ian

Pete,

You gone very quiet. Stop playing and fix that tap!

Paul

They both landed at 10.15, with no damage to either, looks like I might be needing a sound chip, wonder where I can get one of those............

What's more I can't find the tap nut wrench I bought a week ago so the tap fixing will have to wait, clever eh?

Peter

• Like 1

I suspect that the damage was caused by Dapol having to take every model out of the packaging to fix the TV interference problem.  I can't imagine they were too pleased to have to do this.

Ed

Edited by edcayton