Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

I have no idea regards the colour spec but looking at hundreds of photos it points to the colour being darker. My gut feeling is that a lighter yellow would be a very strange colour to paint a working locomotive but an umber brown yellow would be more of a practical colour. Both Gladstone and Boxhill were painted pre 1948 so I expect they would have been close if not the same as the original colour. Anyway I have ordered Thames and see what I think when it arrives.

David

You do realise that's the slippery slope now David !

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what A1 terrier was the last to wear the Stroudley livery in LBSC service.

Good question. Quite a number of the Terriers had been laid aside before October 1905, which was the start of the umber regime under D.E.Marsh, but as we know, it takes ages to repaint a fleet, which had originally totalled 50. Oddly, in September of that year, No 82 had been repainted into Stroudley goods green for working the new Brighton - Worthing pull-push shuttles, [running as a 2-4-0, in which task it amassed 17, 217 miles by the end of the year with no in-service failures.] At least 20 other Terriers were subsequently converted to motor-train working over the next few years, and as this involved some major refitting work it can be assumed they became umber at that stage. That suggests that 1907 or 1908 would have seen the last of the Stroudley yellow. Not exactly answering your question, though!

Great move.  That'll really encourage Dapol to stick with O gauge.

I'm very glad I walked away from that organisation. 

I feel that's being somewhat unfair to Tower Models.

I believe it was identified relatively quickly that there was a packaging issue with some models which have been despatched as they were received from the manufacturer. Retailers may not be in a position to replace models to resolve any customer issues if they have insufficient stock available and by necessity are referring customers to contact Dapol as Dapol have undertaken to resolve the issue to end user's satisfaction.

Dapol have said:

It has come to our attention that a number of customers have experienced some breakages in transit on our recently released Terrier. We would like to apologise for this and for any inconvenience caused.

It would appear due to the weight of the model and the positioning of some vulnerable components that the blister support has in some cases proved inadequate and that the momentum of the model in transit has caused the packaging to flex and break some items.

If you have experienced this with your Terrier, Dapol will offer spare items free of charge. To obtain your replacement pieces please register your requirement by either email, phone or write to us with the following details:

Where you bought the model

The Model Code

A description and location of the broken items

Your name and address and if possible a contact phone number and email address

It may take a few weeks to produce the spare items so please be patient with us. If you feel unable to replace the parts yourself please contact us for further assistance.

We would like to assure all our customers that amendments to the packaging are being put in place which will stop this reoccurring for future releases.

Dapol Ltd, Gledrid Industrial Park, Chirk, Wrexham, LL14 5DG

Tel 01691 774455

Email: sales@Dapol.co.uk

Therefore it is important to understand where the issue lies and where the route to resolution lies and not to criticise the retailer.

Tower Models are getting ready for a busy weekend at Telford and hope to see readers there but any resolution to the Terrier issue should be directed towards Dapol.

• Like 7

C'mon Jon - With your skills, it would be worth modifying a Southern version - Especially if the price jumps after the first batch .... :superman:

"Cough" one on order.... :whistle:

Weathered and scrubbed up Sunshine livery with the Southern painted out and replaced with British Railways 1949 style?

"Cough" one on order.... :whistle:

Weathered and scrubbed up Sunshine livery with the Southern painted out and replaced with British Railways 1949 style?

which arrived undamaged today :locomotive: . It's such a pretty thing, much nicer and finer detailed than I thought it would be. I'm on 12 hour nights tonight so I can't take it to our layout yet for a test run. It's accompanied me to work though along with my copy of "Island Terriers" so I can suss out what's required to "IOW-ify" it.

JF

Just thought I would share this  as I have only just realised it could be the artistic Bricklayers version of a Terrier. This wall is part of an extension added to the Old Ningwood Station in 2008 and shows the opening and closing dates of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway .. A nice touch to our new home

post-19998-0-61872400-1441310730_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Picking 'mine' (my Father's) Terrier up on Saturday from Arcadia and looking forward to receiving it. I'm hoping to also buy a circle of track too and maybe get a video of it running. Not sure if my Father can wait until Christmas for it; he's already asked me to bring it round for him on Monday!

• Like 2

Anyone planning on doing a small video review for those of us waiting on the BR versions? :D

Not a review as such but I took the little fellah down to the Club tonight and it ran sweetly straight from the box, the only things I will be doing are a light weatheriing, some crew, a sound chip, and some dials on the gauges, which are a bit white( Edit and some coal.) - It looks very nice, and runs slowly without any running in, all in all not bad for the price, all I've got to do now is find a use for it!

PS David Bailey I'm not so bear in mind it was shot by a moron with a £40 second-hand bridge camera.

Peter

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 9

Not a review as such but I took the little fellah down to the Club tonight and it ran sweetly straight from the box, the only things I will be doing are a light weatheriing, some crew, a sound chip, and some dials on the gauges, which are a bit white( Edit and some coal.) - It looks very nice, and runs slowly without any running in, all in all not bad for the price, all I've got to do now is find a use for it!

PS David Bailey I'm not so bear in mind it was shot by a moron with a £40 second-hand bridge camera.

Peter

Brilliant!!

Has anyone tested the terrier onto a minimum radius? Seeing that the wheelbase is similar to the Hudswell Clarke, I'm estimating that it might manage down to a 36" radius, but the wheelbase is slightly longer and the wheels are a larger radius. I may have to make some minor adjustments to my future layout plans just to be certain that I can run it!

I hope that someone will be selling spare mechanisms. I think I've found a couple of possible candidates for a scratch-built body onto the same chassis. Otherwise, if I really botch the NSWGR N67 conversion, I can turn it into one of these: NSWGR R285 Class, later Z18 class by Vulcan Foundry.

Locomotive_-_Class_Z1806%2C_1884_%284174

And just because I love the fact that we built 8 of our own versions, the N67 "Aussie Terrier" class. The last of these were scrapped around 1940, although I can always stretch history a little as a few were in industrial service and were purchased by a small, obscure coal mining company that needed light locomotives to run on it's Jetty, rather like the Catherine Hill Bay Coal Railway, where two of the afore-mentioned Z18 0-6-0s saw out the end of their working lives.

1024px-NSWGR_Locomotive_N.67.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

this link appears to not be working 

I did say I didn't know how to add it as video.

There may well be some regional issue as the link is to a video on my FaceBook page. If you want to see it and other videos of sound fitted loco's search for EDM Models on FaceBook.

The link works perfectly well on the three computers and a tablet I can try it on

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pauls link worked fine for Safari on the phone last night but now down and I get a message saying Facebook have a problem they are trying to fix.

So don't think it's Pauls post ;)

And I don't have a FB account either.

Edited by PaulRhB

I did say I didn't know how to add it as video.

There may well be some regional issue as the link is to a video on my FaceBook page. If you want to see it and other videos of sound fitted loco's search for EDM Models on FaceBook.

The link works perfectly well on the three computers and a tablet I can try it on

aha, it works fine on Facebook. nice little whistle