Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Tower Models are still listing it.

Has anyone seen photos of the K&ESR one? Is it the right shade of blue? I'm not sure whether to order a second one to convert to Rolvendon, but it looks like I may have to decide pretty soon.

I received said email as I had originally ordered that model from Rails of Sheffield.

Hattons had Brighton model at gbp154 and had 4 left, so bought that and cancelled the BR LC model.  It arrived in 6 days, usually has taken about 2 weeks the last few years from UK to OZ.

A friend has ordered a BR version, don't know which one from Tower so having something different is okay.

Mine runs very well and only one of the cabside number plates had come off in transit.  So well done Dapol and Hattons.

Mark

'Photographic evidence has shown that W9 Fishbourne can be modelled more accurately and that some features from Newport have not been included in the tooling.'

An interesting admission from Dapol - I wonder which features!

As an aside, one of my Terriers had incorrect coupling rods on one side and correct on the other. As they are handed, this rules out a simple change over. I've emailed Dapol and asked for the correct rods.

'Photographic evidence has shown that W9 Fishbourne can be modelled more accurately and that some features from Newport have not been included in the tooling.'

An interesting admission from Dapol - I wonder which features!

Newport (as well as Freshwater) has for example special sandboxes and additional steps and handrails in front of the water tanks, whilst Fishbourne remained with the exception of the extended bunker pretty much a "standard" A1X.

Edited by stonetown

• RMweb Gold

Attached is a photo of my repainted Terrier - part of the fleet of my Elsbridge Wharf layout: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97585-elsbridge-wharf-1906-neilhbs-layout

post-1365-0-67796800-1443819486_thumb.jpg

Further details can be found in my layout thread - needless to say I am very impressed with my Terrier - I don't need another one but I fear I may cave soon...

• Like 6

As a delighted owner of both No. 40 Brighton and Southern 2644, it is a pity that out of all the IoW Terriers (see table below), Dapol will be making a model of W9 Fishbourne, the Terrier with the shortest association with the Isle of Wight ( http://Dapol.co.uk/i...31#.Vg5KUvlViko ).

Given the work put into the tooling for the extended IoW bunker, why not go the extra distance and make a model of one of the two Terriers preserved at Haven Street?

Number/Name            Also Known As          Built      On Isle of Wight                                              Fate

W9                           75 Blackwall              1872      March 1899 - April 1926                                   Scrapped 1926

W10 Cowes               69 Peckham              1872      April 1900 - May 1936                                      Scrapped 1949

W9 Fishbourne          50 Whitechapel          1876     May 1930 - May 1936                                       Preserved as 61 Sutton by the Borough of Sutton

W2, W8 Freshwater  46 Newington            1877      June 1913 - April 1949, June 1979+                  Preserved (IoW Steam Railway)

W11 Newport           40 Brighton                1878      January 1902 - February 1947, January 1973+   Preserved (IoW Steam Railway)

W3, W13 Carisbrooke 77 Wonersh              1880      May 1927 - April 1949                                      Scrapped 1960

W4, W14 Bembridge   78 Knowle                1880      May 1929 - May 1936                                       Preserved by the Terrier Trust

W12 Ventnor              84 Crowborough        1880     November 1903 - May 1936                               Scrapped 1949

Edited by Fay Sets the Pace
  • Like 1

I think the answer's in the question.

The tooling for the IoW bunker is probably the only additional tooling done and, apart from the bunker, the only change they need to make to come up with a passable IoW Terrier. Most of the others, which were on the island before grouping, retained the front sandbox/splasher from their A1 days and had no sandboxes below the footplate. I've converted mine to Carisbrooke for very similar reasons as it too was a mainland rebuild with the standard A1X sandbox/splasher changes and it, and Fishbourne were the only ones to retain Stroudley chimneys.

Edited by Overner

The  front  steps  were  only  fitted  to  Island  Terriers  very  late  (WW2  or  just  after)  hence  only  apply  to  8,  11  &  13  in  their  wartime  livery  and  Malachite  in  the  case  of  13.   SR  or  BR  Sunshine  lettering  for  8  &  13,  SR  Sunshine  only  for  11

When  in  lined  Olive,  no  front  steps  or  handrail.  (retained  on  the  preserved  engines  for  convenience  of  use)

A  further  difference  on  8  only  is  that  it  was  fitted  with  O2  type  opening  front  cab  spectacles,  also  Circa  WW2.

All  the  pregrouping  IOW  terriers  kept  the  A1  type  sandboxes,  the  3  SR  imports  had  the  later  type.

Pete

The  front  steps  were  only  fitted  to  Island  Terriers  very  late  (WW2  or  just  after)  hence  only  apply  to  8,  11  &  13  in  their  wartime  livery  and  Malachite  in  the  case  of  13.   SR  or  BR  Sunshine  lettering  for  8  &  13,  SR  Sunshine  only  for  11

When  in  lined  Olive,  no  front  steps  or  handrail.  (retained  on  the  preserved  engines  for  convenience  of  use)

A  further  difference  on  8  only  is  that  it  was  fitted  with  O2  type  opening  front  cab  spectacles,  also  Circa  WW2.

All  the  pregrouping  IOW  terriers  kept  the  A1  type  sandboxes,  the  3  SR  imports  had  the  later  type.

Pete

According to M.J.E. Reed's book, 'The Island Terriers'; front steps and tank handrails were fitted to No's 8, 11 and 13 in 1935/6 when still in late Maunsell lined olive green. No 14 appears, from photographic evidence to have received front steps but no handrail shortly before it's return to the mainland in 1936 where they then seem to have been removed! No's 9, 10 and 12 appear never to have received them.

Hi All,

Havnt the time to read through all new Posts.

I have had great service from Hattons - and yet the only time they let me down was when the dropped a model from the range and didnt tell me until I pushed for an answer. And my family uses them, or Tower when appropriate, for xmas and birthday presents etc.

Rails helped plug that gap though.

I shall contact Tower and see if the Terrier issue applies to them too?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Dapol stated on their Facebook page, they would consider to bring later on also the other I.O.W. variants with A1 type sandboxes etc., if people want these and let them know.

So it´s up to us, to express our interest for these, and we might get them!

Manuel

Edited by stonetown

Dapol stated on their Facebook page, they would consider to bring later on also the other I.O.W. variants with A1 type sandboxes etc., if people want these and let them know.

So it´s up to us, to express our interest for these, and we might get them!

Manuel

Hi Manuel,

How does one communicate such?

Do Dapol have a RMWeb presence these days?

Kindest,

CME

Hi CME,

good point. I assume the best way would be to ask directly at upcoming exhibitions. But also emailing or Facebook would be alternatives.

And just because Dapol isn´t writing here anymore dosen´t necessarily mean they aren´t still reading, I guess.

Greetings,

Manuel