Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

It would be the start of a dangerous slippery slope! I already have two LNER bogie coaches given to me by a very nice RMwebber, along with a Lima continental coach. I have ideas for adapting the LNER coaches, but I also get tempted to try to convince the world that the Colonel ran boat trains! The opportunity to add more fiction would just get too tempting, and expensive :nono:.

#

The Colonel almost got to Richborough, but after the last boat had sailed!

You'll be telling me that there is a large multi-fuel power station connected to the branch too. Even that has gone now.

As my layout is intended to be a branch of the K&ESR that wasn't built in our timeline, what went on at Richborough isn't really relevant, as long as the Colonel's train ferry arrived and departed there. More interesting is how the K&ESR connected to the EKR, and how it had happened by 1905! I think the best solution is to get rid of the coach!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed before, a search of RMweb found nothing:

Something to watch out for on the new batch of Terriers. Mine arrived with a distorted brake assembly - and it's not just mine. The effect can be seen on several of the product photos on the web, eg here and second photo down here

I inspected my model and it turned out one brake rod was 3 mm longer than the other.  This makes the brake assembly buckle and pulls the brake blocks onto the wheels on the short side. One explanation could be that the different brake assemblies for the wooden and iron brake blocks have been mixed up on some models.

I contacted the seller who sent me on to DCC supplies (Dapol's servicing agent). They replied very quickly and I offered to fit a new brake assembly myself. So a new brake assembly is now in the post. I will report back when I have tried fitting it.

attachicon.gif001.jpg

attachicon.gif002.jpg

When you detach the "short" brake rod the mis-alignment is very apparent:

attachicon.gif004.jpg

attachicon.gif005.jpg

Hope I'm not making too much of this, but I promised to follow up on it. The new brake assembly arrived quickly from DCC concepts and I have to say Dapol have chosen an efficient service agent there.

This assembly looked much better, and brake rods on both sides were the same length:

post-738-0-32043600-1474311112_thumb.jpg

A comparison between the original offending brake rod (top) and the replacement (bottom). The 3mm difference between the first and second mounting holes is quite clear.

post-738-0-11594200-1474311131_thumb.jpg

The rods are easily replaced, the trickiest part is at the back where they are more firmly mounted, but with a little tweaking the rods come off:

post-738-0-26689500-1474311122_thumb.jpg

So all is well and the brakes now look nice and straight:

post-738-0-89746800-1474311142_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Can anyone help with a small issue regarding toolboxes on the back of extended bunker Isle of Wight Terriers.

There are several instances of photos showing reduced size boxes offset to the right hand side but others show the same locos without. Does anyone know which locos had them, when they were fitted and when they were removed?

Colin

A customer of mine recently bought a BR black loco and it arrived with wooden brake blocks! The be fair to Dapol they put it right straight away.

The umber loco looks superb, can't wait for mine to arrive,

Peter

A bit late for you, Pete, isn't it? post 1905 mmmm

Marc

I've just received my umber Terrier and one buffer is missing. After all the bad publicity Dapol have had over quality control this is still happening - it's infuriating. I want to take the engine to Wigan this weekend; if I don't receive the replacement buffer before Friday Dapol are going to lose a customer.

I've got four Terriers and three out of the four have had to go back for repair or have parts missing - it's not good enough.

Peter

I've only got one and it made it to Africa intact. Part of the journey was in my daughter's hand luggage. Mine came from Rails of Sheffield and I asked them to check it before sending it out. I must have been lucky. Mind you, even if bits had fallen off I would have stuck them back on rather than send it back from here.

I hope you get yours sorted out in time.

You do seem to have been unlucky Peter,I've got 4,and they were all in perfect condition. The only thing I can say is that I brought them from a reputable retailer whom I trust,in this instance,Kent Garden Railways at St Marys Cray. Despite of how the word of retail is generally going,I do find a good retailer with shop premises were you can inspect the goods to be worth their weight in gold. Alas though,rarer,it would seem,than any alleged precious metal.

Cheers,Mark.

I bought mine from Tower Models who are certainly reputable but they receive the loco's from Dapol already boxed up, it's not their job to check them. The problems seem to arise when the sound decoder is fitted which happens in the UK, it's just not acceptable to have loco's boxed up without checking that nothing has fallen off.

The loco will be wonderful when it's complete, it's a real little beauty and once my irritation has subsided no doubt I'll be delighted with it.

Peter

I've just received my umber Terrier and one buffer is missing. After all the bad publicity Dapol have had over quality control this is still happening - it's infuriating. I want to take the engine to Wigan this weekend; if I don't receive the replacement buffer before Friday Dapol are going to lose a customer.

I've got four Terriers and three out of the four have had to go back for repair or have parts missing - it's not good enough.

Peter

yes, i think you have been unlucky. i had 4 make it to Australia, and the only thing i had was a number plate come unstuck on the first 1

I bought mine from Tower Models who are certainly reputable but they receive the loco's from Dapol already boxed up, it's not their job to check them. The problems seem to arise when the sound decoder is fitted which happens in the UK, it's just not acceptable to have loco's boxed up without checking that nothing has fallen off.

The loco will be wonderful when it's complete, it's a real little beauty and once my irritation has subsided no doubt I'll be delighted with it.

Peter

Even where Dave Jones is checking every DJM loco in China for decoration and function when it is finally boxed, bits come loose in transit vibration (even in a well padded box) and boxes of locos get thrown about or dropped as containers are packed or unpacked.

If you ask Tower Models to unpack and test the model at point of sale then it becomes their responsibility to do it.  If they won't, buy from someone else and tell Tower Models why.

Les

Guest Isambarduk

"I bought mine from Tower Models ... it's not their job to check them."

Well maybe not but your contract is with Tower Models, not Dapol, so if there are any problems with your loco it is up to Tower Models to sort them out for you.  It's their choice, I suppose: check them all before shipping them out or risk having to have back some that are 'not fit for purpose' to be made so.

David

Having been critical of Dapol, it's only fair to say that the missing buffer was replaced and arrived on Friday from DCC Supplies which is excellent service. The loco runs superbly and now looks good too so I'm again a satisfied customer....to prove it I've just paid the deposit for an 08,

Peter

• 1 month later...

OK, the answer to this question may be in the thread somewhere and I did scroll through a number of pages without finding it.  My friend's Terrier arrived today and both of us are very impressed with it.  It appears to have been fitted with a Hattons 4 function decoder by Hattons.  There is mention of firebox glow but it doesn't come on when the loco runs and I can't see any explanation in the data sheet.  Is there a function key for this?  I've read that Zimo is F13.

John

Edit: In case anyone is losing sleep over the question, the answer is F1 with a Hatton's decoder.

Edited by brossard

On my loco's the firebox glow is 4. The problem is that the fireman can be heard shovelling energetically, but on my engines he's standing leaning on his shovel at the cab door!

​Peter

Peter,

Assuming this is one of the 'official' sound fitted models which has a ZIMO decoder, you can subdue your energetic ghostly fireman with, I think, CV523 = 1. This will turn down the volume to its lowest setting.

(increase the value to increase the volume).

Kind regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...