Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Its a striking comparison between the two liveries, almost changes the engine itself as the two liveries are at the two extremes, just like the colour of a car, or the colour/condition/type of wheels on a car, can make or break it. An interesting model of the prototype, even with the parred down livery. Thanks for Posting the photos.

ATVB

CME

On my loco's the firebox glow is 4. The problem is that the fireman can be heard shovelling energetically, but on my engines he's standing leaning on his shovel at the cab door!

​Peter

OHH.... how disgraceful, a Fireman not synced to the DCC commands.....oh....... just like the cylinders are not synced to the beats... :scratchhead:Isn't DCC sound wonderful......

OHH.... how disgraceful, a Fireman not synced to the DCC commands.....oh....... just like the cylinders are not synced to the beats... :scratchhead:Isn't DCC sound wonderful......

Indeed, glad though that we can all laugh about it. LOL!

When one is able to hear DCC sound at a show/exhibition, many layout operators seem not to care that the cylinders, motion, speed etc isnt matched, yet when such is then it's a pleasing experience with the newer decoders that enable coasting etc etc.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Katy's pictures, is that shade of green that the Portishead loco is in anywhere near authentic?  It looks an odd shade to me.

Looking at Katy's pictures, is that shade of green that the Portishead loco is in anywhere near authentic?  It looks an odd shade to me.

Below is a comparison of the GWR green on my terrier compared to the green used on the Ixion GWR Fowler diesel, which shows some difference, although not sure if this is related to the differences that occurred in GWR green over the years. Although not being particularly knowledgeable on GWR matters I do seem to remember there was pre and post 1928 green. Both these locos are awaiting new identities for my industrial layout, which will involve the removal of the GWR ownership, plus some additional detailing and weathering.

Hope this helps,

Vaughan

gallery_8865_4100_236958.jpg

Edited by vaughan45

• 2 weeks later...

At the weekend a mate brought his newly purchased GWR green Terrier over for me to fit a sound chip into it.

I should have got a photo really, but we had a little line up of the following loco's:

Dapol Terrier,

Lionheart 74XX Pannier Tank,

Minerva Peckett,

Scorpio 58XX painted by myself in Railmatch GWR green.

All were different shades of green. I don't think that nowadays there's really a definitive GWR green. Even at Didcot all the loco's are different shades of green.

My feeling is that the shade produced by Williamson's of Ripon is probably the closest to Mid Chrome Green, as IIRC, they used to supply B.R.  Land Rover Deep Bronze Green comes a close second I'm told and a lot of the preserved locos use Craftmaster.  In reality it's pretty academic as the varnish will darken with age as well as the effects of heat, oil, dirt and the weather.  I think it's a case of "if it looks right".

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Just something a little different, here is a progress shot on my conversion of an LBSCR-A1 to an NSWGR-N67. I need to get the sandboxes right before I make a start on making the new cab and bunker.

That's fascinating Martin. Please do show us more! Can you share anymore about the prototype too?

David

Edited by south_tyne

There isn't much to the N67 story.

Their design being based on the LBSCR A1 "Terrier". 67-70 were built by Mort & Co, 71-74 by Vale and Lacy and all entered service in 1875. The two batches differed in detail: size of water tanks, and sand-boxes, coupling rods, sanding gear, chimneys, smokebox door.

The class were found to be too slow for use as Suburban tank engines in Sydney, and were all withdrawn in 1890 when other more suitable locomotives became available. They were all transferred into the duplicate stock list.

No.s 67, 68, 70, 72, 73 had bunkers removed and were converted to coal-grab locomotives. 

No.s 69, 71, 74 were sold off.

No. 69 went to Kerle & Kerle and used for construction work - there is a photo from about 1913 where it is used for construction of the Dorrigo Line

No. 71 went through a series of owners: R.G.Watkins, the Public Works Department, back to the NSWGR in 1905 and then to Hoskins, Lithgow Ironworks in 1924, condemned 1937

No. 74 went to Kerle & Kerle, purchased by the Public Works department in 1916, scrapped 1940. According to known records, this was the last surviving member of the class.

PWD25 ca1938 1940

In fact, No. 74, later PWD No. 25 looked very different by the end of her working life. She gained cabsides, a stovepipe chimney, a different style of buffers and numerous other small details. The most curious being the loss of the formerly-prominent side tank rivets. Were these new welded tanks?

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick note to anyone after a Southern liveried O Gauge Terrier - I see C&L Finescale are selling some on their website, at a discounted price - around £40 off the RRP.  No connection other than a customer, noted it and thought it might be of use to someone!

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=1108_1111&product_id=12746

Just a quick note to anyone after a Southern liveried O Gauge Terrier - I see C&L Finescale are selling some on their website, at a discounted price - around £40 off the RRP.  No connection other than a customer, noted it and thought it might be of use to someone!

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=1108_1111&product_id=12746

Hattons have them on offer at less than £200 - quite a big bargain which should encourage more into O gauge as it's now more affordable.

Norman

When I spoke to Dapol at Guildex last year they did threaten a LSWR Terrier for this year but I haven't heard anything more about this years Terriers. The focus looks like its on the 08 and the Jinty.

Marc  

I would like a model of W9 'Fishbourne' after this engine returned to the mainland!!!

W9 'Fishbourne' became BR No. 32650. There are several pictures of this locomotive on the Hayling Island branch still with the extended coal bunker fitted for its previous service on the Isle of Wight. :-

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7433/8724628304_514a4504cb.jpg

http://railphotoprints.uk/img/s/v-3/p26463650-3.jpg

http://haylingbillyheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/!cid_4B5DFA08-EAC9-4577-825B-52535A15E8D3@cable_virginmedia-1024x690.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5833/22767240905_61aa58ed62_m.jpg

I really like the Terriers with the larger bunker. Hopefully with the W9 'Fishbourne' tooling Dapol already has this variant of the locomotive will not be too difficult to make for future release.

Edited by andrewwaite1

Only one left this morning.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one left this morning.

John.

Thanks for the heads up John - W9 Fishbourne purchased at a great price. I bought 2644 last year with a view to converting to an Island Loco but never got a round tuit !! Now the dilemma is do I keep it or pass it on?  MMmmm

Just noticed no buffer beam lamp irons on W9 - Is that correct?

post-19998-0-94999600-1493375469_thumb.jpg

I have a problem with a sound fitted decoder on one of my Terriers and I have searched here, and elsewhere, and I cannot see it mentioned so my apologies if I am repeating something that has already been discussed.

The loco was working fine but it has been laid up for several months. I thought I would give it a run to make sure it is still working but I find that, although it starts to move normally, after several seconds it stops of no apparent reason. If I don’t touch it, it will move off again as normal. It can go for 30 seconds or so before this happens or it may be only a couple of seconds, there is no pattern. It doesn’t stop at the same place in the revolution nor does it stop the sound! I then swopped the decoder for the one in my other Terrier and the problem follows the decoder! I have tried to reset the decoder but, although it will respond to the throttle, it will not read the CVs!

Has anyone else come across a similar problem?

Thank you.

Willy

I have a problem with a sound fitted decoder on one of my Terriers and I have searched here, and elsewhere, and I cannot see it mentioned so my apologies if I am repeating something that has already been discussed.

The loco was working fine but it has been laid up for several months. I thought I would give it a run to make sure it is still working but I find that, although it starts to move normally, after several seconds it stops of no apparent reason. If I don’t touch it, it will move off again as normal. It can go for 30 seconds or so before this happens or it may be only a couple of seconds, there is no pattern. It doesn’t stop at the same place in the revolution nor does it stop the sound! I then swopped the decoder for the one in my other Terrier and the problem follows the decoder! I have tried to reset the decoder but, although it will respond to the throttle, it will not read the CVs!

Has anyone else come across a similar problem?

Thank you.

Willy

Yes same problem.

It'd due to the way the boards are mounted one on top of another, as I recall rather poorly.

Can't remember the detail now but make sure that the boards are not touching.

Norman

Thank you Norman.

I have done as you suggest and unfortunately the problem persists and when I fit the decoder from the other loco to this board there is no problem!

The other thing is, the ‘faulty’ decoder gets very hot and I don’t know if that is significant! 

Thanks again.  

Willy

Edited by Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

A question regarding repainting the Dapol Terrier?.

Anyone with any experiences, I have heard there is a problem directly painting on the Dapol varnished finish ie paint doesn't adhere so well?....

Before I embark I'd appreciate any advice please

Best wishes

Michael