Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• 5 months later...

Hi All.

After scrolling through 55 pages of information on this forum regarding the 'O' gauge Dapol Terrier, I only found one reference regarding the B.R. late version 32636.  I received my brand new model of 32636 late last year (from very helpful Tower Models), and it was in great condition coming all the way from the U.K. to Canada, except one of the upright tank vents was broken off, which I have yet to fix.  I just received the April 2019 edition of Railway Modeller from my local newsagent (we get them very late here), and it shows a model of 32636 on the excellent 'O' gauge Arun Quay layout by Gordon and Maggie Gravett in the same late livery as my model.  However, the Vulcan kit built by Mr. Gravett doesn't have the upright tank vents as per the Dapol version.  I have checked the Southern email group site, and there are a few photos of 32636 in late B.R. finish.  None of them have the upright tank vents, and all seem to have the 'flush' (or almost flush) fitting 4 bolt tank vents.

So, I am wondering why Dapol had the factory in China fit the incorrect vents, and if I purchase the correct almost flush vents from DCC - who have them as spares for £1.00 plus postage - will they fit my particular model?  If anyone has experience of fitting new vents on this particular Terrier it will be most appreciated.

Cheers, EW

7 hours ago, SouthernEMU said:

Hi All.

After scrolling through 55 pages of information on this forum regarding the 'O' gauge Dapol Terrier, I only found one reference regarding the B.R. late version 32636.  I received my brand new model of 32636 late last year (from very helpful Tower Models), and it was in great condition coming all the way from the U.K. to Canada, except one of the upright tank vents was broken off, which I have yet to fix.  I just received the April 2019 edition of Railway Modeller from my local newsagent (we get them very late here), and it shows a model of 32636 on the excellent 'O' gauge Arun Quay layout by Gordon and Maggie Gravett in the same late livery as my model.  However, the Vulcan kit built by Mr. Gravett doesn't have the upright tank vents as per the Dapol version.  I have checked the Southern email group site, and there are a few photos of 32636 in late B.R. finish.  None of them have the upright tank vents, and all seem to have the 'flush' (or almost flush) fitting 4 bolt tank vents.

So, I am wondering why Dapol had the factory in China fit the incorrect vents, and if I purchase the correct almost flush vents from DCC - who have them as spares for £1.00 plus postage - will they fit my particular model?  If anyone has experience of fitting new vents on this particular Terrier it will be most appreciated.

Cheers, EW

Yes, the flush fit items will fit. I guess Dapol given the many many many variations on Terriers over the year, will get some bits incorrect, however it’s a very easy fix if you need to correct this particular thing.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick question to those in the know. I note that Dapol has now release an ex IOW version of the terrier,numbered 32650, with extended bunker and Westinghouse pump. However l note that the model appears to be  missing its elbow style lamp brackets from the smoke box door frame. Checking through photos of 32650, she carried these almost all of her BR life abet with one missing in the 1960s

Does anyone know if theses items are available as an after market item?

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

9 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Pretty sure Laurie Griffin does them.

That would be my first port of call.

Roxey do a few bits and bobs as do Connoisseur Models.

I'm modifying my two, for more accurate/specific buffer beam detail, pipes, spark arrestor etc.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

That would be my first port of call.

Roxey do a few bits and bobs as do Connoisseur Models.

I'm modifying my two, for more accurate/specific buffer beam detail, pipes, spark arrestor etc.

Thanks for the pointer CME

Bob C

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought l d ask in the off chance, just before l buy a 1/2 circle of Peco 0 gauge setrack curves, has anyone else tried a Terrier with rolling stock on this radius? I m hoping that with the Terrier only being 7 1/2 inches long, it manages not to buffer lock with what ever its pulling?

Bob C

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

perfectly fine with 4 wheel wagons if you don5 have an S bend, or include a straight, but an oval, not an issue 

Many thanks for taking the time to post this, it helps a lot

Cheers

Bob C

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Many thanks for taking the time to post this, it helps a lot

Cheers

Bob C

I suspect that buffer locking will also happen with a bogie coach, due to the swing of the coach?

• RMweb Premium

When you get into setrak curvature, you’re going to get trouble sticking with conventional buffers and three link couplers. I think it’s best to ensure the buffers never come into contact, by having a rigid coupling that keeps them apart when doing propelling moves. Have a pivot nearer the outer axle, not on the headstock, then place a coupler on a swinging link mounted on that. Kadees work very well if you can afford them, otherwise disc magnets araldited to the link will give you a link that doesn’t “knuckle” when propelling. Here’s a picture of this on a narrow gauge application, they will couple automatically but need to be prised apart manually.D27FA3D8-4BEA-4D99-BD25-7850D2B48AF7.jpeg.d6394f9bf5a55cf84e840bf8b17fe2c9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

When you get into setrak curvature, you’re going to get trouble sticking with conventional buffers and three link couplers. I think it’s best to ensure the buffers never come into contact, by having a rigid coupling that keeps them apart when doing propelling moves. Have a pivot nearer the outer axle, not on the headstock, then place a coupler on a swinging link mounted on that. Kadees work very well if you can afford them, otherwise disc magnets araldited to the link will give you a link that doesn’t “knuckle” when propelling. Here’s a picture of this on a narrow gauge application, they will couple automatically but need to be prised apart manually.D27FA3D8-4BEA-4D99-BD25-7850D2B48AF7.jpeg.d6394f9bf5a55cf84e840bf8b17fe2c9.jpeg

Many thanks, that's an option l d not considered

Cheers

Bob  C

• 6 months later...

Hi, sorry if I am misusing this thread, but I have a question about the Dapol "O" Gauge Terrier handrails. I bought my first "O" Gauge engine, LB&SCR #643, by mail order, and found that the left side looking forward handrail was not properly attached to the boiler at the front stanchion. Looking at it I concluded that there should be a hole drilled into the boiler into which a straight handrail stanchion plugged, but instead there was an indent in the boiler in which the end of an "L" shaped stanchion rested. I assumed this was a manufacturing defect, and was about to send the engine back for a replacement when I saw another LB&SCR #643 on ebay with exactly the same problem. I am wondering if this is how it is supposed to be? I attach some pics illustrating the issue. I'd be grateful for comments from folks more knowledgable about this model than me.

Thanks,

Bill.

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect a.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect b.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect c.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect d.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a quick scan through the posts but couldn’t find what I was looking for.  Did Dapol ever release the Terrier in the WC&P livery?  

Back in the 70’s and I was in my teens, I used to live near Weston-super-Mare and tried to trace the trackbed of the WC&P and would like get something to remember it by.  I know they do it in OO scale but a O gauge one would be awesome.

Try offering the handrail stanchion into the indent and seating the blower valve (the thing on the smokebox end of the handrail) into the hole in the smokebox, the flange on this should be flat against the smokebox side.

Looks like it the handrail may need gently pushing slightly back towards the cab.

If the handrail stanchion wont locate into the indent then yes a hole is missing or blocked with paint,  looks like a tiny pin on the stanchion which would need a horizontal hole.

Checked my Terrier and it is fine but I dont want to go pulling at the handrail to see how the stanchion is fixed.

Pete

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Did Dapol ever release the Terrier in the WC&P livery?  

A quick search with your preferred search engine will tell you that they did produce one in O as "Portishead" !

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been covered before but how easy is it to take the condensing pipes off? With number 7 on the way I'm looking at making sure the 5 IPG locos ate correct to the photos I have of them, in 1900. I read that most of them had their condensing gear removed from 1895 onwards.

So far the count is:

1. 40 Brighton
  2. 54 Waddon
  3. 57 Thames
  4. 82 Boxhill
  5. 627 Fenchurch
  6. 735 LSWR

there is a second Boxhill on its way not sure what name its going to be. 

Marc