Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Apologies if this has been covered before but how easy is it to take the condensing pipes off? With number 7 on the way I'm looking at making sure the 5 IPG locos ate correct to the photos I have of them, in 1900. I read that most of them had their condensing gear removed from 1895 onwards.

So far the count is:

1. 40 Brighton
  2. 54 Waddon
  3. 57 Thames
  4. 82 Boxhill
  5. 627 Fenchurch
  6. 735 LSWR

there is a second Boxhill on its way not sure what name its going to be. 

Marc 

It’s fairly easy Marc - easier to remove them from the smokebox first by pulling them out horizontally. You can then unplug them from the front of the side tanks - they will leave large holes which you will need to fill though. You will also need to sand/file off the locating ring on the sides of the smokebox.

This is mine a couple of weeks ago before and after I’d completed this procedure:

ABB7177B-71DE-47CA-A2BD-40F5A67BB398.jpeg.893d38e1ccb683a31d559ee9d1f80c2e.jpeg

5F059200-78DD-43EC-B3ED-582D4FAEF569.jpeg.4c725132f030d987db615806708b7122.jpeg

I’ve also modified this one by fitting metal brake shoes (available as spares from DCC Supplies), and changing it from Air to Vacuum braked by removing the Westinghouse pump (again vac pipes available as spares from DCC Supplies).

• Like 1

Major problem with the phoenix paint its correct colour and the Dapol colour isn't. I have 4 different IG locos 3 of the original Dapol's and Boxhill from Rails none of them match the HMSR colour patch or come close to the Phoenix colour.

Marc

• Agree 1

On 30/12/2020 at 15:24, jools1959 said:

I’ve had a quick scan through the posts but couldn’t find what I was looking for.  Did Dapol ever release the Terrier in the WC&P livery?  

Back in the 70’s and I was in my teens, I used to live near Weston-super-Mare and tried to trace the trackbed of the WC&P and would like get something to remember it by.  I know they do it in OO scale but a O gauge one would be awesome.

This is mine, which I picked up as a 2nd at Warley a few years ago

All the best

Katy

5FE9DC7A-7E56-4478-A090-1431843CC72A.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

This is mine, which I picked up as a 2nd at Warley a few years ago

All the best

Katy

5FE9DC7A-7E56-4478-A090-1431843CC72A.jpeg

Nice and I know it used to be a former WC&P loco but I’m looking one in WC&P livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2020 at 14:26, BillB said:

Hi, sorry if I am misusing this thread, but I have a question about the Dapol "O" Gauge Terrier handrails. I bought my first "O" Gauge engine, LB&SCR #643, by mail order, and found that the left side looking forward handrail was not properly attached to the boiler at the front stanchion. Looking at it I concluded that there should be a hole drilled into the boiler into which a straight handrail stanchion plugged, but instead there was an indent in the boiler in which the end of an "L" shaped stanchion rested. I assumed this was a manufacturing defect, and was about to send the engine back for a replacement when I saw another LB&SCR #643 on ebay with exactly the same problem. I am wondering if this is how it is supposed to be? I attach some pics illustrating the issue. I'd be grateful for comments from folks more knowledgable about this model than me.

Thanks,

Bill.

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect a.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect b.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect c.jpg

LB&SCR Terrier #643 handrail defect d.jpg

Umber 643  photo.jpgBill, this is the photo as it was advertised to start with and shows the proper placement of the parts. Hope that helps, Cheers, Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished my models of GWR No. 5 and No. 6 (both adapted from the Dapol model of "Portishead").  After studying some photos of the prototypes, there were a surprising number of changes required to the standard model.  And plenty of detail differences between the two as well!

GWR Terriers.jpg

Edited by DMY
Re-attach photo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ian you say Terrier # 7 does that mean you have actually got 7 of the beasties WOW.

I'm not up to speed with these posts here so which layout will they be acting on, Hither Green TMD?

Best

40 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Ian you say Terrier # 7 does that mean you have actually got 7 of the beasties WOW.

I'm not up to speed with these posts here so which layout will they be acting on, Hither Green TMD?

Best

well, they might visit Hither Green, but I might have to build them their own railway. Currently they live in the cabinet with 2 on the way

C60BA521-16ED-4C08-A82A-A0B87838D353.jpeg.366efc3fbef72ca386534bdf53b2f81a.jpeg

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Anyone know where I can get a set of rear glazing? I have a spectacle missing. Dapol said DCC concepts, but it appears to be the only thing they don't list as spares. 

Did you mean DCC supplies? 

I was looking through their terrier spares the other say and haooened to fimd these:

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-111856/cab-glazing-set-Dapol-terrier-o-gauge.htm

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Did you mean DCC supplies? 

Slight off topic but I went to reorder some parts I've had before, and their prices have gone through the roof recently. Asking £5 for one handrail knob is a bit excessive.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anybody in the know cast some light on brakes for me? I'm modelling DIDO on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire, an A1 with mods. I need to swap the wood brake blocks to metal ones - however DCC supplies have 2 listings for each type, with no photos and no parts diagram available to identify the correct ones. Options available are:

I guess I need either one of these or is it both? 

• Brake Assembly Kit A1X Metal Brake Block – O Gauge Terrier £7.20 Inc. Vat
  • Terrier O Brake Assembly Set A1X £10.00 Inc. Vat

Wooden ones as well are a mystery:

• Brake Assembly Kit A1 Wooden Brake Block – O Gauge Terrier £7.20 Inc. Vat

• Terrier O Brake Assembly Wood Set A1 £10.00 Inc. Vat

Would love to know what the difference is!