Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

I was sent a sound decoder set up to review, made specifically for the Dapol Terrier based on a Doehler & Haas sound decoder. It’s a quite reasonable setup (I hadn’t really heard of the D&H brand before) and at approximately £85 through Tramfabriek I thought it reasonable value for money for an O gauge model. The chuff rate is already synched on despatch specifically for this model. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I am attempting to turn by plain black A1 into S&M 'Dido'. To do this I need to add the westinghouse brake and some extra pipework. Can anyone show me some close ups of the various westinghouse components on a model so fitted? Trying work out what I need to order as spares and how it all attaches! 

Also trying to find some larger buffer heads to suit as well, any ideas there?

Edited by Quarryscapes

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Hroth said:

Anyone looking for a bargain?

Currently Hattons are offering the unliveried black Terrier for £150.  More than 10 in stock!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/scales/O/product-types/Steam locos/brands/Dapol/sort/4

what’s this, then? You’re looking at 0 gauge? What? What? What?

• Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

what’s this, then? You’re looking at 0 gauge? What? What? What?

Well...  🤔

Then I printed and cut out some Peco track templates and was horrified about how much space it took.....  😟

31 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Which is probably why there is always so much O gauge stuff on eBay. 

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well...  🤔

Then I printed and cut out some Peco track templates and was horrified about how much space it took.....  😟

Space? O gauge doesn't need space, leave the final frontier to Star Trek etc.

The Boysnope Bump is less than 6' long on the scenic section plus a 2' long sector plate. I really must get around to finishing the scenics one day.

IMG_2865.JPG.82202d95637e180de1f433078101ab45.JPG

But no, I don't need a Dapol Terrier - I'll leave that on the shelf for @Hroth

I've spent plenty of money with Dapol recently on a load of tank wagons, and I have an Austerity and rake of iron ore hoppers on pre-order...

Mol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll fess up.

My little black Terrier arrived today.  Runs very nicely on a yard of Peco flexitrack with a PP3 battery...

Time to design a layout!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

Having just taken delivery of a Terrier in LBSC Improved Green livery I would suggest that even without massive discounts the lined versions are very good value at today's prices.

The "official" minimum radius for a Terrier is 40.5". So I was very surprised to discover that, my example at least, will happily traverse the ETS 627mm radius points on my shunting plank. In fact it runs so smoothly through them that I am tempted to suggest that it was designed to do so.

IMG_0447.JPG.4466c91b70cae65a628ea7b27bd08b42.JPG

Buffer lock would be a problem, but not with Leeds Bakelite vans and wagons. A very much unexpected discovery, and something I would have liked to know about a long time ago.

On the wider expanses, the Terrier will pull and push Dapol Stroudley mainline coaches through Lima 700mm curves with 3-link couplings. So long as you avoid reverse curves, neither the Terrier nor the coaches can manage those without buffer lock.

Table top 0 gauge anybody?

Edited by goldfish
Removed duplicated content.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, goldfish said:

A very much unexpected discovery, and something I would have liked to know about a long time ago.

I'm quite envious of anyone who has managed to avoid the endless succession of minimum radius and small space O gauge threads on here!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

As someone who didn't avoid minimum radius track. I would like to put it on record that I wish I had avoided it. Never again it's got to the point that I'm thinking of ripping all the track of Boggs and relaying it with 4 or 5ft rad points as the peco ones are too bl**dy right.

4 minutes ago, MarcD said:

As someone who didn't avoid minimum radius track. I would like to put it on record that I wish I had avoided it. Never again it's got to the point that I'm thinking of ripping all the track of Boggs and relaying it with 4 or 5ft rad points as the peco ones are too bl**dy right.

Out of interest, what stock do you run?

my current little inglenook uses 48” radius Marcway points purely because I had them left over from years ago. But I was considering whether to use the Peco setrack on my next project, which is also an industrial prototype with mostly 4-wheel wagons. 
if you’re having problems with the Peco then perhaps I should avoid it. 
Cheers,

Mol

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm quite envious of anyone who has managed to avoid the endless succession of minimum radius and small space O gauge threads on here!

Serves you right for constantly asserting the twaddle that ebay is awash with unwanted O Scale from disappointed dabblers 😝😝😝😁

O scale is a minority on ebay - what's the reason for the overwhelming 'awash-ness' of OO & N? Can't be lack of space can it?

37 minutes ago, MarcD said:

As someone who didn't avoid minimum radius track. .... I'm thinking of ripping all the track of Boggs and relaying it with 4 or 5ft rad points as the peco ones are too bl**dy right.

Bold added. I presume this is a typo?? 🤷‍♂️

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Serves you right for constantly asserting the twaddle that ebay is awash with unwanted O Scale from disappointed dabblers 😝😝😝😁

OK point taken! Just to be clear though, I don't have anything against anyone's layouts, small space or otherwise. It's the "once you go over to the dark side you will never look back" type comments that I've reacted to.

Pop "Dapol O gauge locomotive" in eBay and there is certainly enough to fill a plank or two, (and a good way for someone considering O gauge to try a few things, which they could always sell on). Of course people could be selling for any number of reasons.

Edited by Hal Nail

13 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Out of interest, what stock do you run?

my current little inglenook uses 48” radius Marcway points purely because I had them left over from years ago. But I was considering whether to use the Peco setrack on my next project, which is also an industrial prototype with mostly 4-wheel wagons. 
if you’re having problems with the Peco then perhaps I should avoid it. 
Cheers,

Mol

I'm using wagons no longer than 15ft6 and a mix of small kit built 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tanks and Dapol Terriers. Buffer locking is so bad I can only run the Terriers chimney first as the overhang on the bunker end is to big and pulls the stock off the tracks. Only wagons that have no side play in the wheels are used. And buffer compression is at maximum. Dead buffered stock circ 1870 seam to be best.

Anyone who thinks they are a good idea need shooting. And yes the right should have said tight.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MarcD said:

Anyone who thinks they are a good idea need shooting.

One of the problems with Peco Setrack points is that they are part of a flawed concept. As it says on the box "PECO SETRACK THE UNIT TRACKAGE SYSTEM". The idea being that it is modular each element of the system is interchangeable. The result is 22.5 degree points with an unacceptable track spacing.

Peco Setrack has its origins in the wonderfully named Atlas 21st Century Track System. Which in its code 148 2-rail version offers curves from 36" to 54" radius with a track spacing of 4.5". Until around 2015 Lenz track was made in the same factory as the Atlas track and was basically Atlas track on European style sleepers. After 2015 Lenz track was made in code 147 by Peco, retaining the principle dimensions to ensure backwards compatibility with the earlier track. Neither Atlas nor Lenz offer Setrack style points, instead that offer points that provide a track spacing of 4.5". In the case of lenz these are 11.25 degrees with a notional 128cm radius and a length of 455mm. Why Peco chose not to follow the example of Atlas and Lenz is anybodies guess, but I suspect most would agree that a point along the lines of theirs would be more acceptable than the current offering.

The choice of radius is also problematic. It is really too tight for traditional fine scale O gauge using 3-link couplings because it only allows a very restricted range of rolling stock, and yet is far to large for use with couplings that prevent the buffers contacting.

So far as buffer lock goes, this sounds like a combination of the curvature of the points and the couplings. I believe you use Dingham's which in my experience are not good on tight turns, have you tried alternatives such as the Flippem Couplings?

21 minutes ago, goldfish said:

I believe you use Dingham's which in my experience are not good on tight turns, have you tried alternatives such as the Flippem Couplings?

The couplings are Flippems, they were developing of my layout by me. They work well but the stock just doesn't like the badly designed points. Apart from the radius issue there is a check rail issue. They are the same size as you would find on a point that has a 6ft radius when they should be 3 times as long also the curves should all have check rails on if they were following prototypical practice.

1 hour ago, MarcD said:

The couplings are Flippems, they were developing of my layout by me.

My apologises, I have not been paying attention.

I am always dubious about referencing prototype when it comes to things like Setrack because they are not designed for a market that demands that kind of detail. Your comment about checkrails is interesting, and prompted me to compare the checkrails on a Peco Setrack point with those on my ETS points. The check rails on the ETS points are 15mm longer than on the Peco points, I wonder if this is a case of Peco being over zealous in trying to keep down material costs.