Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Clive I recommend some decent floor covering at least for the Feet mate, I was in my shed yesterday with no heating on and it was warm enough to work in there with a Fleece and wooley hat on.

Not quite a fleece and wooley hat, more denim jacket and wig... But it should keep your head warm, will also help when you bash it on the underneath of the layout :)

post-6674-0-58008600-1421435164.jpg

Layout is looking good Clive, looks like you've been raiding my cupboard that spontaneously generates DMUs

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have wired the layout up so that the control panel is at the station end of the layout. That is OK for 2 people to drive it, one on the traverser and one on the controller. After a couple of trial single man operating sessions I was knackered walking up and down the layout. Last night I made a 25 way extension lead for the control panel so for one man operation it is at the fiddle yard end. I still have to walk down to uncouple the locos but as most opeartion is DMUs then this is not too, much of a problem.

It also means if I do exhibit it I can place the control panel behind the layout, all be it upside down to normal.

And another thing in the plan is for the station track ends to be fitted with magnets to uncouple the locos.

• Like 3

I have wired the layout up so that the control panel is at the station end of the layout. That is OK for 2 people to drive it, one on the traverser and one on the controller. After a couple of trial single man operating sessions I was knackered walking up and down the layout. Last night I made a 25 way extension lead for the control panel so for one man operation it is at the fiddle yard end. I still have to walk down to uncouple the locos but as most opeartion is DMUs then this is not too, much of a problem.

It also means if I do exhibit it I can place the control panel behind the layout, all be it upside down to normal.

And another thing in the plan is for the station track ends to be fitted with magnets to uncouple the locos.

Hi Clive, I was going to ask about that, what sort of coupling have you in mind, you say magnets, will it be for Kadee or a Sprat and Winkle type?

All looking very good though.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, I was going to ask about that, what sort of coupling have you in mind, you say magnets, will it be for Kadee or a Sprat and Winkle type?

All looking very good though.

Hi Andy

Wot me give up my tension locks :scratchhead: I am thinking of using Pete Harvey's tension lock conversions http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28_63&product_id=71 :imsohappy:

The locos will have their hooks removed and the end coaches will be fitted with these hooks. :locomotive:  It will save trying to get some form of uncoupler inbetween the trains and the platforms. As a marker to where the magnets are I will use the late Peter Gentle's method, the model lady on the platform in the bright coloured dress. But don't let anyone know how I know where to stop the trains. :secret:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking that not only would the LMS 2-6-4 tanks go well with the time period but also a tender loco to add a bit more variety. Now a Black Five or a B1 would be very fitting only problem being the traverser can only just hold a four coach suburban train and a Brush Type 2. A class 5 4-6-0 is too long :nono: 

Thoughts then went to an Ivatt or BR class 4 2-6-0, as they were still around in numbers right up to the end of steam and about as long as a Brush type 2. Yesterday in John Dutfield's Model Railways shop I found one of each on the shelf. I couldn't make up my mind which to buy. Oh dear this diehard diesel modeller now has 3 LMS tanks and 2 class 4 tender locos. :O :o

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear this diehard diesel modeller now has 3 LMS tanks and 2 class 4 tender locos. :O :o

Tut tut Clive, so tempted to give your post an "incomprehensible" rating... You need to go and look at some nice overhead wires, it will make it all feel better. Repeating "Clacton units doing a ton through Witham" several times may also help... ;)

Andi

I was thinking that not only would the LMS 2-6-4 tanks go well with the time period but also a tender loco to add a bit more variety. Now a Black Five or a B1 would be very fitting only problem being the traverser can only just hold a four coach suburban train and a Brush Type 2. A class 5 4-6-0 is too long :nono:

Thoughts then went to an Ivatt or BR class 4 2-6-0, as they were still around in numbers right up to the end of steam and about as long as a Brush type 2. Yesterday in John Dutfield's Model Railways shop I found one of each on the shelf. I couldn't make up my mind which to buy. Oh dear this diehard diesel modeller now has 3 LMS tanks and 2 class 4 tender locos. :O :o

Welcome back from the dark side, Darth Spider, will you be returning to your light side name?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Clive just popped in to see how its going, Looking forward to seeing the track laying mate using the spikes.

All the best.

Hi Andy

Sorry it has taken time for me, track laying tools and camera to be together but I have managed it this evening. I have installed two loco railing tracks. I have already found that when trying to place a loco on the front of a train on the traverser there is not much room so these two tracks which will be behind the backscene will be used to rail a loco. For the moment the locos will be pushed back on to the train when the tracks are lined up.

First action is to cut away a rail fixing using a craft knife.

post-16423-0-69351600-1421620872_thumb.jpg

Second is to drill a hole in the sleeper close to the rail where the fixing use to be.

post-16423-0-44717500-1421620925_thumb.jpg

Put a Peco track spike in the hole.

post-16423-0-26831200-1421620970_thumb.jpg

Using a hammer knock it in, gently, so it is just above the rail. Care must be taken not to be too enthusiastic with the hammer as the rail can be damaged.

post-16423-0-69474400-1421621026_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-63895500-1421621043_thumb.jpg

I then get a punch and place that inbetween the hammer and the spike. The spike is then driven until it is just contacting the rail. Again care must be taken as hitting the punch too hard can push the spike in too far and even this can cause the foot of the rail to distort.

post-16423-0-32518900-1421621343_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-09102700-1421621362_thumb.jpg

Normally I would repeat this every 4 or 5 inches but with this track I placed another 2 spikes on this side. Only one was required the other side. On running rails I normally on put one one on the opposite side every foot or so. Once the ballast is down and glued inplace then the track is solid anyhow.

post-16423-0-47930900-1421621582_thumb.jpg

Finally the loco railer in action.

post-16423-0-51308700-1421621624_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-27957300-1421621646_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a wonderful operating session this afternoon, having the control panel at the traverser end of the layout is a great advantage.

Having built loco depot layouts in the past it is great having one where trains run, the sight of a 5 car DMU threading its way through the point work to the station lovely to watch.

One thing that I thought was funny was my Bachmann Metro Cammel unit when the trailer car was leading. The lights were flickering from white to red as it approached me. Well that is DC for you. It will not be a problem as I intend to disarm all my trains with working lights. It is the 1960s when marker lights and red tail were not used. As for headcode and destination blinds being illuminated, they only just showed up at night time when you were close to the train. Hands up those who tried to read a book when travelling by train at night, with the few tiny 10 watt bulbs that were installed in carriages at the time?

This evening as well as fitting the two railing tracks I took apart the lighting from Hanging Hill and installed it in a more permanent position above Exchange.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've seen at least one picture of a Sheffield area local with only three coaches and a Jubilee on the front, if that helps.

Hi Mickey

Stop putting ideas in my head, the through coaches are 2 or 3 coach corridor trains. A class 5 4-6-0 would be ideal. Just need to ensure that the timetable (when written) does not put them on the front of a 4 coach suburban train that will be just too long to fit on the traverser.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

Morning Clive,

Not long since I 'found' your thread from the link under your posts on Bitton. Most impressive so far - forgive a rash of ratings as I work my way through! Is that a Bachmaan 2-6-0 on the traversed images? If so, what is your opinion of it as we had several at Hurlford(67B) at the start of the sixties.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Clive,

Not long since I 'found' your thread from the link under your posts on Bitton. Most impressive so far - forgive a rash of ratings as I work my way through! Is that a Bachmaan 2-6-0 on the traversed images? If so, what is your opinion of it as we had several at Hurlford(67B) at the start of the sixties.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock

My knowledge of steam locos is quite limited. It is a pretty looking engine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I dont know if this site (Picture Sheffield) will be of much use, but there are a lot of pictures in there....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

Thanks Mickey

It seems like it could be useful for things like local traders, council lorries, and may be a typical building or two.

I have had a quick look, and found a Ford D cab refuse lorry....I have a Basetoys Ford D lorry. There is a possiblity. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s30281&prevUrl=

And some low buildings for the front of the layout, http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24818&prevUrl=

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I haven't done much this weekend. I did start to put the first platform edge in place.

To start with the Peco edging is designed to go with their foam underlay. That makes it too tall if your tack is directly on the baseboard or like me the whole base board is covered with cork. If you have cut the cork to suit the track then the edging is too low as cork sheet or in my case bathroom tiles are higher than Peco foam making the edging too low, in my case by 2mm. Now should I cut 2mm off the bottom of the edging, I didn't think I would do a good job. Plan B cut a trench in the cork and add something 2mm deep under the little fixing fingies. Some Evergreen 2mm (80thou) strips were purchsed yesterday. Trench cut out, I made a nifty little gauge to help with the marking out. I stuck bits of the strip under the fixing fingies and drilled holes in them. Using another guage I made for ensuring the edging was in the right place I fixed all of platform one's edge with track pins in the fixing fingies. Ran a coach alongside it, that looks wrong, the passengers have a hell of a jump to get in the coaches. My gauge was wrong, I had somehow made it so the edge was 21mm from the track centre when it should be 19mm.  All taken down. The gauge needs to be rebuilt.

Saturday was good I had an operating session. And I found my hand held controller. The control panel might be rewired so that trains can run in and out at the same time.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

No progress this weekend. I have decided to leave the platforms until I have painted the track. Too cold this weekend for painting.

I have had great fun driving trains. I ran it tonight with a full fiddle yard and two platforms occupied. It was a very intensive service, just as I hoped it would be.

I ran my new L1 2-6-4T, the Brush type 2 were saying it was unfair that the LMR and NER Sulzer Bo-Bos had some steam engine friends so I got them an ER kettle. All is now fine in the garage. I also aquired another Limby 3 car Met-Cam unit. I now have enough Met-Cams to have a go at making a four car unit with a DMC at each end, a Trailer Brake Second and a Trailer Second Buffet. This will be for the York and Scarborough services. With the bits left over I will make a two car unit with a DTC not a DMC, the Lima 2 car unit is a power twin, for the Barnsley trains.

• Like 4