Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive,

Looking great!

Have to disagree on your choice of era/coaching stock. crimson and cream with early emblem looks SOOOO much better than that crest and maroon rubbish.

Keep up the good work!

Peter

(Quite probably RMweb's youngest member)

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia
  • Like 1

7mm dressed stone looks positively tiny compared to most of the blocks used around Sheffield, and looks nothing like the prototype.

Interesting photo here http://s6.postimg.org/ehrhhxj6p/City.jpg which would make an interesting scenic break for a layout.

The lower level bridge gives access to the L.N.W.R / L.M.S. City Goods station (left hand end) with it's hydraulic lifts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, how's the layout progressing?

Don't get bogged-down by the backscene - Larry and Andy would've altered the track design umpteen times by now and still had things running.

Think Sheff Ex has a lot of potential - any more photos?

Hi Peter

Not progressing at the speed other people’s layouts tend to. I keep getting side tracked with life and other projects but that is me all over the place. The retaining wall has now curled when it should be flat. I never have liked card, trouble is I have brought a load of it and packets of Grey Sandstone Walling (Ashlar Style) "Brick Paper". I see too many layouts with a plain retaining wall. Many are vertical which does not look right. I am trying to build mine with arches and have a slight tapper from top to bottom. For the whole scenic part to be in a cutting I need 20 feet of retaining wall and with the arches this works out at 40 feet of materials. See why plastic card would be a tad too expensive plus it would all have to be painted.

I am really enjoying running it, which does tend to stop me from modelling. My past layouts the modelling was more important than the running. I am continuing with the stock for the layout, tonight I was modifying the ends of some Lima Met-Cam DMUs so that I have all three styles.

I am in no rush, one day everything will fall into place.  May do some photos later in the week.

Hi All

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Again plenty of food for thought.

• Like 4

I did start to make the retaining wall. For the first time ever I thought about using brick paper and cardboard. I purchased a bottle of "School PVA", brushed this on to the card, and stuck down the Superquick brick paper. It went like a granny's skin, all wriggly. :scratchhead:  It will cost an arm and leg to do the length of retaining wall with embosed plastic card.

I am using stone "brickpaper", still went wriggly. :umbrage:

The retaining wall has now curled when it should be flat. I never have liked card, trouble is I have brought a load of it and packets of Grey Sandstone Walling (Ashlar Style) "Brick Paper".

One trick you can try is to stick some plain paper of similar thickness to the brick paper on the opposite side of the card to equal out the pull of the glue that you only applied to one side.

a layout with a lot of retaining walls, i think i know of another one like that, not a million miles from here.

Also do not worry about the time frame, i am 7 yrs into a 10 to 15 yr build.

it takes longer from scratch, but it makes it different from the rtp offerings that duplicate each other out there.

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Plastikard is the name that Slater's used for it's styrene sheet Peter. Now it's often used as a general name for all plastic card / styrene sheet.

Point of order.

Styrene is a colourless oily liquid that evaporates easily, has a sweet smell, and is possibly carcinogenic. What you are talking about is its polymer, polystyrene.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

Last week my mate Richard came all the way from the USA to have a play with Sheffield Exchange. Why do things go wrong when you have guest?  Anyhow we discussed the backscene dilemma. Richard suggested using the full depth of the baseboards and whole buildings. As the track does not run parallel with the baseboard front the buildings would be at an angle taking out most of the emptiness between the streets.

Tonight I had a go at his idea, not quite as I thought Richard had described it but the idea of whole buildings instead of just ends then sky does look more feasible than before. I have used the Hornby cottages from another delayed project. Note the very warped retaining wall. I think it will work.

post-16423-0-79762900-1436742033_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-08418000-1436742044_thumb.jpg

Revised scenic idea

post-16423-0-62082600-1436742068_thumb.png

• Like 7

Hi Clive, I wondered where you'd got to mate, I do like the new plan, it will make the front tracks look a lot better with the curved retaining wall and more of the buildings along the top.

All the best.

What that is rather reminiscent of is photos of the canyon that was Nottingham Victoria. Possibly some kind of short overall roof at the concourse end of the station would act as a suitable "view-blocker" to close off the scene

• RMweb Premium

That looks about right. I had at first glance thought that you had knocked up the houses in plasticard since our get together. That would have been most impressive!

I have shots of the prefab at Duxford if that helps.

Richard

Thanks Richard

The prefab shots would be nice.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

No news of any new modelling. When I have been doing modelling I have been working on Ranelagh Bridge. Anyhow I went out to the manshed tonight and cleared off the tools I had been using on RB. Fired up the controller and had a great time running trains.

When I have an operating session at Exchange I don't need the scenery to have a good time. Now will I ever have it finished?

• Like 5