Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Happy real new years day. (winter solstice)

I am not a very good Druid, to cold to go out in just my robes for the winter solstice and they expect up at what time for the summer one?

No I am not wishing anyone a happy new year, if you go back ten days I have already done so. The new year starts at the winter solstice. See I can be a bigger misery at new year than at Xmas. :umbrage: :umbrage: :umbrage: :umbrage:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Instead of pretending to enjoy myself at some "New Year" party, I have been making baseboard frames. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  Not very well, the carpentry skill you are supposed to learn as a railway modeller seems to have whizzed past me. Nearly got the first and longest wall done. :boast:

• Like 3

Instead of pretending to enjoy myself at some "New Year" party, I have been making baseboard frames. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  Not very well, the carpentry skill you are supposed to learn as a railway modeller seems to have whizzed past me. Nearly got the first and longest wall done. :boast:

Well done matey, any pics yet? :nono:  :nono:

Happy New whatsits to you my friend, :O  hahah.

• RMweb Premium

Well done matey, any pics yet? :nono:  :nono:

Happy New whatsits to you my friend, :O  hahah.

Once I have the tops on and track down I will be photographing my handy work. :no:  :no:  Until then I don't want to give away my secret bodging techniques.  :secret: :secret:

I sorted out my dilemma the layout will be 3 ft 6 ins high, nominally. I am working to a fine scale tolerance of 3 ins either direction.  :this:

• Like 1

Once I have the tops on and track down I will be photographing my handy work. :no:  :no:  Until then I don't want to give away my secret bodging techniques.  :secret: :secret:

I sorted out my dilemma the layout will be 3 ft 6 ins high, nominally. I am working to a fine scale tolerance of 3 ins either direction.  :this:

I must be getting tired, I read that as ; I sorted out my dementia.  :O  :no:  :scared: 

• RMweb Gold

I must be getting tired, I read that as ; I sorted out my dementia.  :O  :no:  :scared: 

Classic case of projection, maybe? ;)

Happy New Year, whenever/whatever you celebrate it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Enjoy 2018 Clive. Hope to catch up with you again.

Hi L/Sgt

Will do, and I hope you do.

When I have the Exchange up and running you will have to come up and have a play.

Update.

Frames have been made for two walls now, still no photos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does 3ft 6ins leave enough room for your belly when you lay on your back to work under the layout?

Mike.

Hi L/Sgt

Will do, and I hope you do.

When I have the Exchange up and running you will have to come up and have a play.

Update.

Frames have been made for two walls now, still no photos.

Thanks Clive. I may need to negotiate an escape plan / leave pass depending on the new lady in my life.

• RMweb Premium

Progress today ...yes more :swoon: ... I have cut the most the baseboard tops. I plonked the ones to go on the supports I have made, the baseboards look huge. :good:  Of course I put some of the paper layout on them, for checking the sizing only. :nomention: Then out came a couple of locos some track and coaches. :locomotive:  I then became too excited and had to have a break.  :yahoo: :lazy: 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Going by what was said on the EMU thread, don`t the hight of your boards need to be 3`3"?

Not 3`6" or even the newer 3`?

Going by the DEMu forum, 3'9" would be better.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Going by what was said on the EMU thread, don`t the hight of your boards need to be 3`3"?

Not 3`6" or even the newer 3`?

I am doing quite well every thing is at a height of 42 inches. I think I need to take my spirit level back to B&Qs the bubble seems to be stuck in the middle every time I place it on a base board.  :O I have baseboards 2/3rds around the room. Tonight I was marking out the framing for the station throat board, it is an odd shape and will have point motors dangling all over the place so sorting out the battens is fun. :no:

I am doing quite well every thing is at a height of 42 inches. I think I need to take my spirit level back to B&Qs the bubble seems to be stuck in the middle every time I place it on a base board.  :O I have baseboards 2/3rds around the room. Tonight I was marking out the framing for the station throat board, it is an odd shape and will have point motors dangling all over the place so sorting out the battens is fun. :no:

Just head down to stores for a new bubble :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Just head down to stores for a new bubble :jester:

Gun fitter not a VM. So you can't catch me with that one.

I have just remembered the sights on the 105 light gun had spirit levels on them. So they could be seen in the dark they had something radio active in them. One of the other gun fitters use to have a couple of spares in his trouser pocket. I wonder if he ever did become a dad?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Baseboard construction is going great. Today I put up the station throat board and it looks huge, and I still have the platform baseboard to finish so will look massive.

All the tops are now cut to size give or take a few inches. The progress plan shows what has been done in pink and what is under construction in blue. Unshaded areas hopefully will be done by the weekend..............then on with the cork.

post-16423-0-91550700-1515194939_thumb.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Last night I done some more skullduggery with some points. I straighten a couple of code 75 curved points and they come out half way between a medium point and a long point, so if you think a medium is too short and a long won't fit cut a few webbs on a curved one and hey presto.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Last night I done some more skullduggery with some points. I straighten a couple of code 75 curved points and they come out half way between a medium point and a long point, so if you think a medium is too short and a long won't fit cut a few webbs on a curved one and hey presto.

Here’s the funny thing with Peco points (Excepting their US outline points with specified angles, e.g #5. Probably - never looked at them this closely.)

Normally, if you do such a thing, you should also ease the crossing vee angle, for geometrical reasons.

As Peco use a common angle, this doesn’t matter.

• RMweb Premium

Going great guns, until this morning when my up and go had gone somewhere else.

I now have the station boards complete. When the dogs have taken me for my afternoon walk I can get back to doing the Manchester sidings and the Windie Viaduct.

• Like 1

Baseboard construction is going great. Today I put up the station throat board and it looks huge, and I still have the platform baseboard to finish so will look massive.

All the tops are now cut to size give or take a few inches. The progress plan shows what has been done in pink and what is under construction in blue. Unshaded areas hopefully will be done by the weekend..............then on with the cork.

attachicon.gifprogress report 5-1-18.png

Corkink eck mate, that will be HUGE with a capital ACH.