Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

On to box fourteen.

Un deed Hornby class 29, ney bogies so cannie run.

A Lima class 27, converted from a class 33 and represents one of the NER locos that went via the MR to Scotland. A good brush and scrub and off it went Lima style.

The other five occupants are Airfix class 30s. All needed repairs.

The first one had a broken chassis where the arc cutout for the screw that holds the power bogie in place. Superglue and four bits of plastic card made that good.

Next one , the toffee apple conversion that is still on going, seemed to be leaning a wee bit, as I took the body off the little lug thingy that was broken on those in box 10 feel into my hand. More superglue and a plastic card reinforcer.

Number three just ran badly. Even worse after taking the motor bogie apart and not putting back together properly to start with.

Number four had both lug/pivot thingies broken and number five had the left, not the right like all the others, one broken. New ones made and superglued on. Number four had at some point in time, and again I cannot remember, a similar repair to number one where the frame had broken across that arc for the screw. I know it was one of my repairs by the style of bodging of the plastic card supports.

All five had their motor bogies stripped down and oiled, clean wheels etc and they ran Ok .

attachicon.gif100_5163a.jpg

Box 14 contents plus the class 24 with headcode box conversion I started last night.

attachicon.gif100_5164a.jpg

The class 24.

This shows, once again, that the oldies are still pretty damn good!!!

The Airfix 31 was and is a good model, which, with a bit of work, easily stands alongside modern efforts.

Reminds me, I need another one to 'Toffee Apple' for when I run blue 80's WR.

Chris. 

• Like 1

Box 15? :O :scared: I had 7 boxes of 5 or 6 per box, plus some odd bits lying around once i'd cut out all the 30 plus steam Locos.

SO......HOW many boxes do you have full of Locos young Clive? :no:

Maybe he doesn't want to let on too much in case Mrs Clive is looking? I know I don't admit what I have, in all truth I've no real idea. To give a small example I went looking for class 87s a few weeks ago, knew I had half a dozen or so as I picked them up when I could if they were cheap (all Lima by the way, nothing over £20). Turns out I've got 11!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Box 15? :O  :scared:  I had 7 boxes of 5 or 6 per box, plus some odd bits lying around once i'd cut out all the 30 plus steam Locos.

Careful Mr Peters . . . I have already lost count of how many locos you have acquired for Seven Mill Sidings.

For what it's worth I reckon you cannot have too many of the things you like.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Box 15? :O  :scared:  I had 7 boxes of 5 or 6 per box, plus some odd bits lying around once i'd cut out all the 30 plus steam Locos.

Two full of shunters, and 3 more with main line locos. That doesn't include the two with make believe locos.

Then there is the pile of locos still in their own boxes.

Maybe he doesn't want to let on too much in case Mrs Clive is looking? I know I don't admit what I have, in all truth I've no real idea. To give a small example I went looking for class 87s a few weeks ago, knew I had half a dozen or so as I picked them up when I could if they were cheap (all Lima by the way, nothing over £20). Turns out I've got 11!

I don't think Mrs M would care, as long as I am not spending 'orse money on the train set.

Wot do u need 11 class 87s for that is nearly a 3rd of the class? Hold on two of my not yet tested boxes contain 8 Baby Deltics each.....that 60% more than BR had. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Careful Mr Peters . . . I have already lost count of how many locos you have acquired for Seven Mill Sidings.

For what it's worth I reckon you cannot have too many of the things you like.

The way he wheels and deals things I bet he has no idea how many he has let alone how many he has had. :no:

Can't have too many 87s!!

This coming from a predominantly steam era man!!! I do have a soft spot for 'em!!!

The other guilty secret is for the 'Engineers' Stanier, Riddles and Chapleon. I was hauled by all in the late 70s, early 80s.

Yes, I have the Lima, Hornby hybrid!!! Looks so good, once I'd got body and chassis matched, I'm afraid I had to play so no more detailing, I just run her on the Manchester Pullman!! Oh yes, that did happen on occaision!!!

C.

Isn't this the whole point - I have some unknown number of locos definitely into three figures, but many of them haven't cost that much, certainly in comparison to current retail prices.

Toyfairs, ebay, stuff from long ago when the £100 loco was a distant nightmare, I do remember one toyfair where a chap was selling Lima 31's at something like 4 for £40. I succumbed and they all ran well, being boxed and "as new"!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Wot do u need 11 class 87s for that is nearly a 3rd of the class? Hold on two of my not yet tested boxes contain 8 Baby Deltics each.....that 60% more than BR had.

Involvement with a club WCML layout, which is currently undergoing a revamp.

Multiple locos also extends to class 76s, thirteen based on the DC kit of long ago, all bar two powered by Lima mechanisms, and a single Olivia's/Heljan which I picked up when Hattons did them cheaper a few months ago.

Then there's seven WD austeritys, six or seven B1s (I think, including my first kit built loco a NuCast one).

The only ones to have seen significant use are the 76s, totally reliable despite having many real miles under their wheels.

Edit: a quick count reveals around 200 locos in the 'railway room' including 16 kits in various stages from untouched to almost finished. Then there's another couple of dozen or so in the garage with Deepcar

Edited by great central
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Involvement with a club WCML layout, which is currently undergoing a revamp.

Multiple locos also extends to class 76s, thirteen based on the DC kit of long ago, all bar two powered by Lima mechanisms, and a single Olivia's/Heljan which I picked up when Hattons did them cheaper a few months ago.

Then there's seven WD austeritys, six or seven B1s (I think, including my first kit built loco a NuCast one).

The only ones to have seen significant use are the 76s, totally reliable despite having many real miles under their wheels.

Edit: a quick count reveals around 200 locos in the 'railway room' including 16 kits in various stages from untouched to almost finished. Then there's another couple of dozen or so in the garage with Deepcar

I find it easier not to count how many.

I'm not even sure that he knows how many layouts he's got...

And considering the Old Potting Shed has only been up and finished since about November 2014 / less that 4 years ago, I've had

Bitton,

Whittaker St,

Bristol Victoria,

Pencarne Junction,

Pencarne,

West Shed,

Porth Merryn,

Trewithen,

Kings Moreton,

Pen Y Bont.

Beale St,

Trecarne,

Kingsford North Yard and Depot,

I think that's all. :sungum: 

Oh, and of course, Seven Mill Sidings. :stinker: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137703-so-how-many-locos-have-you-got/&do=findComment&comment=3305832

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Box whatever is a strange box, it has two Brush type 4s without chassis, I don't know why. I say Brush 4s one will after conversion become a Ferrocarriles de Cuba class  'T975'. The other is a Hornby has been repainted by me and has the same number, D1521, as another Hornby Brush 4, I "converted" and repainted. Very odd.

Working locos were a part built Brush 4, see Rough Engineering Made Easy, a Hornby Brush 4, a Heljan Brush 4 and a Class 48. 

Heljan thing was plonked on the tracks and off it went. The plastic card one needed a service and that too ran nicely. No problems with the Hornby one once it was cleaned and oiled.

The Class 48, this is a Hornby class 47 conversion, awaiting paintshop. Cleaned and oiled, but still ran badly. I flipped it over, clipped on the test leads to the pick up bogie. Whizz went the motor and the rear driven wheel, not the front one. The gears were not messing. Simple, a gentle push to the wheels to close them in a tad. This involved taking the bogie frame off, it is one of the early Hornby models, the ones with the cups holding the brush and spring in place. I carefully took the frame off but just caught one of the cups. It has joined in the game of hide and seek. I have no spare cups but in the past have manufactured a wire holder for the spring. I cut and shaped the wire. I then plugged in the soldering iron as it needs to be soldered on the motor frame. While I was bent down I caught one of the other cups that has been playing hide and seek. So I unplugged the soldering iron.  It still took a bit more cleaning ans oiling as well as some jigging around with the pickups for it to run OK.

Back to our two chassis less locos. I knew at some point my mate Mark had re-chassised a Lima loco with a Vi-Trains chassis and had given me the box with the old Lima chassis in it. After finding the box, I discovered I had already put a Hornby body on the chassis. It ran like a Lima loco, after being cleaned and oiled. During this process I did notice it was one of the later chassis with pick-ups on both sides of the non powered bogie. It didn't have a second wire to the other pick-up so one was added.

The other D1521 has been hanging about in the fuddle yard for ages, not a very good runner, so a clean and oil was needed. It was also missing a weight. Normally I have spare Hornby weights knocking about, could I find one. Tin snips were used to cut some lead off my real that didn't cost too much from Wickes, and I think I won't use it all before I die. It ran lovely afterwards. I mentioned it was "converted", it was an early attempt at a 3 part fixed radiator grille.

post-16423-0-70555900-1537478833_thumb.jpg

Hornby, Heljan, Hornby body on Lima chassis and Clive nearly built. The Hornby/Lima model has been modified to one with its radiator grilles open.

post-16423-0-36445100-1537479005_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-60213700-1537479105_thumb.jpg

Two shots of D1521 and the Class 48 passing each other at Brasnley Junction.

Last night I tested one form this box and I said it flew like a jet fighter,

post-16423-0-27598900-1537479370_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-22490600-1537479381_thumb.jpg

Here it is. I even made a new coupling so the loco can now run with its tender.

If anyone knows why I have two Brush 4 bodies without chassis please let me know. I know I have more class 40s with no chassis but I know why, too many conversions sharing the same under things.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back to the class 40s without underframes. I think I have a solution to the dead Mainlne Peak chassis, take out the motor bit and replace with a Lima H0 class 33 power bogie. It is 1mm longer in wheel base but with those huge plate framed bogies who will notice as they dash past.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to the class 40s without underframes. I think I have a solution to the dead Mainlne Peak chassis, take out the motor bit and replace with a Lima H0 class 33 power bogie. It is 1mm longer in wheel base but with those huge plate framed bogies who will notice as they dash past.

Nobody may notice, but we will know......

• RMweb Premium

Nobody may notice, but we will know......

True.

I think a working loco is better than a pile of bits, even on a Thursday night.

This song first appeared on the Reid brothers sister's solo album called Sister Vanilla, Little Pop Rock and the original is better.

• RMweb Gold

Wishful thinking. The missing verse from "I Would Walk 500 Miles" has them walking John O'Groats to Lands End just to get out of the rain.

Not much point today - almost completely clear blue skies, and it's lashing down with rain...

However, we are close to the coast here (less than 2 miles) - it could just be sea spray.

• Like 1